Current game moderation team dissolved.

Current game moderation team dissolved.

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
18 Jun 08
1 edit

We will be taking a slightly different approach to game moderation in future. There will be no further community votes for electing moderation teams. A new method for alerting suspect cheats will be introduced shortly too. Further details to follow within a week.

-Russ

Moves
18 Jun 08

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 Jun 08

Originally posted by Russ
We will be taking a slightly different approach to game moderation in future. There will be no further community votes for electing moderation teams. A new method for alerting suspect cheats will be introduced shortly too. Further details to follow within a week.

-Russ
Swell. Thanks for taking the community's input soooooooooooooooooooooo seriously.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
18 Jun 08

Originally posted by no1marauder
Swell. Thanks for taking the community's input soooooooooooooooooooooo seriously.
Cool down, the alternative was 'giving up'.

P-

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
18 Jun 08

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Cool down, the alternative was 'giving up'.

P-
Didn't you know? numb1 is ALWAYS right...

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
18 Jun 08

Originally posted by Crowley
Didn't you know? numb1 is ALWAYS right...
He's right 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time. Now he's RONG for once. Mark your calender.

P-

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
18 Jun 08

Wow!

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
18 Jun 08

Just to tease everyone, the new system, from what I've heard so far, is a definite improvement. The community vote thing was probably a stupid idea in retrospect. 😀

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
18 Jun 08
2 edits

So will the new idea be, that no one will know who the Game Mods are, or the size of the team?

Just a really wild guess! 🙂

Making a note June 18,2008...The day #1 was wrong. 😛

i

Moves
19 Jun 08

I'm hoping the change will involve hiring an outside GM/IM to oversee the moderation process. Get someone who is knowledgeable enough to make accurate decisions, but is not a player on the site and hence has no potential for bias.

Surely there are some players out there who are very strong, but not quite strong enough to have an actual career in chess, who would be happy to have a chess-related job (even part time). The same type of people who hire themselves out for coaching on ICC, for example.

Of course cost could be prohibitive here, but hey, if they've devoted their lives to chess maybe they're used to being poor 🙂

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
19 Jun 08

Originally posted by incandenza
I'm hoping the change will involve hiring an outside GM/IM to oversee the moderation process. Get someone who is knowledgeable enough to make accurate decisions, but is not a player on the site and hence has no potential for bias.

Surely there are some players out there who are very strong, but not quite strong enough to have an actual career in chess ...[text shortened]... ve here, but hey, if they've devoted their lives to chess maybe they're used to being poor 🙂
I have to start reading more slowly -- I thought you said "oversee the immolation process." Then again, people would think twice about using engines...

S

Moves
19 Jun 08

Originally posted by incandenza

Surely there are some players out there who are very strong, but not quite strong enough to have an actual career in chess ...[text shortened]... ve here, but hey, if they've devoted their lives to chess maybe they're used to being poor 🙂
Yes I agree outside moderation is the way to go!
To quote myself from chess only forum:

I think Russ should try to get one or two people onboard as game mods who are previously independent of this site & have reasonable knowledge & experience of the game.
Either that, or leave it as a free-for-all, á la yahoochess.

I know this sounds impractical, but it's the only way that decisions can be enforced without bias or prejudice. Being a current (or former) game mod should not be a means to exclude anyone from this process either.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
19 Jun 08

A new method for alerting suspect cheats will be introduced shortly too. Further details to follow within a week.

Look at the ski slope - is it greater than 37.9845 degrees?
If yes, then there is a chance the player may be cheating, however

Is this a new player who has not found their playing level?

If yes, pee off and just dinnae play them again until they have reached their true level.

If no they could be cheating, pee off and just dinnae play them again.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jun 08

Originally posted by !~TONY~!
Just to tease everyone, the new system, from what I've heard so far, is a definite improvement. The community vote thing was probably a stupid idea in retrospect. 😀
Who's "stupid idea" was it? Who had absolute control of who would be on the Game Mod team regardless of the results of the vote?

The same people who now supposedly have a "definite improvement"?

S

Moves
20 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
Who's "stupid idea" was it? Who had absolute control of who would be on the Game Mod team regardless of the results of the vote?

The same people who now supposedly have a "definite improvement"?
Edited due to wanting to be able to continue posting.