1. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 14:26
    Chris,

Once again I entered a banded tournament to find that there are several players who have ratings above the band maximum. Why does this keep happening? I ask because although I don't mind playing the higher ratd players, I would like to think I had a chance in a banded tournament.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 14:30
    The tournament only checks your eligiblity when you enter. If your rating then goes up (as is very easy for provisional players to do) then you can move out of the range (and you can enter a second band for the same tournament). There are many idea around the site on how to fix this, but as of yet none have been implemented.
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 03:35
    Originally posted by dragondad
    Chris,

Once again I entered a banded tournament to find that there are several players who have ratings above the band maximum. Why does this keep happening? I ask because although I don't mind playing the higher ratd players, I would like to think I had a chance in a banded tournament.
    I think the winner will come from Group 10!
  4. North West UK
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 16:59
    I agree with dragondad on this - have just been thrashed by a player in the Feb banded 1 - 1250 whose rating now suddenly happens to be approx 1700!! Whilst any player might end up 100 or a few more over a rating when they join about a tournament when someone ends up 4/500 points higher you wonder what their motive might be (reminds me of the school bully). So if there's anything that can be done it would be much appreciated.
  5. Chalk Village
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 20:36
    Agree again. Im currently on the wrong end of a stuffing from a player who should be two bands up. His or her rating has never been below that line in the past 30 days. Needs looking at.
  6. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 17:591 edit
    Originally posted by carjam
    Agree again. Im currently on the wrong end of a stuffing from a player who should be two bands up. His or her rating has never been below that line in the past 30 days. Needs looking at.
    4/500 above the banded rating? I think you should all ask him to resign his games. This is just poor sportsmanship and against the principles of the banded tournament. I've done so (ie resigned all my games when I was +150 up on the band and climbing).
  7. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 10:57
    Originally posted by crackpot
    I agree with dragondad on this - have just been thrashed by a player in the Feb banded 1 - 1250 whose rating now suddenly happens to be approx 1700!! Whilst any player might end up 100 or a few more over a rating when they join about a tournament when someone ends up 4/500 points higher you wonder what their motive might be (reminds me of the school bully). So if there's anything that can be done it would be much appreciated.
    Hi Crackpot,
    I'm in the same tournement as yourself. I was very pleased with my performance in my group as it draws to a end, so i thought i'll have a quick look round to see if i recognise any other players in the tournement just in case i make it through.
    I saw players with rating at 1350- 1450 and was thinking, O.K i may have a chance if i play the games of my life, but then i stumbled upon the last group.
    1700 rating, in the banded tournement 1-1250 is just plain wrong, and you cannot justify your position in that tournement even if you started of in the right tournement. He should hang his head in shame.
    If i do make it through and i'm drawn against him, i will just resign in protest.
    This is sportmanship at it's lowest......😠😠
  8. Berks.
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 15:06
    He can have only entered as a provisional player (past 20 games is well over the band limit), something that should be controlled by the site, and something he is not the only one doing in that tournament.

He is clearly several classes above anyone else in that competition.
  9. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 22:17
    Why did I think that provisional players were not permitted in banded tournaments? That's the only way this player could have gotten into this tournament. Its difficult to blame someone is has only been on the site a few weeks for a glaring shortcoming of the site.

No provisional players in banded tournaments - Surely that would avoid a lot of these situations?
  10. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 00:34
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Why did I think that provisional players were not permitted in banded tournaments? That's the only way this player could have gotten into this tournament. Its difficult to blame someone is has only been on the site a few weeks for a glaring shortcoming of the site.

No provisional players in banded tournaments - Surely that would avoid a lot of these situations?
    it used to be that way as I remember when I was a provisional player I couldn't join banded tournaments.
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 00:45
    I seem to have a dim memory of the site having an error where provisional players couldn't enter banded tournaments (as it should be) unless they were still p1200.

So you could enter after finished less than 5 games but not between then and 20 games.

Can anyone confirm this?
  12. SubscriberTalem16
    Chessaholics!!
    Sunny California
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 06:42

I agree with u!!!
  13. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 16:14

O.K gatecrasher,

You have a point,
    But would you stay in the tournement knowing your over 500 points better than anyone else in the tournement, and indeed would you get any sort of satisfaction in winning the whole tournement.
    Fairness is the title for this thread, fairness isn't winning the tournement knowing no one has any chance what so ever.
    Thats the argument....................................................................
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 17:10
    I messaged Klaus Behrmann on the 06 February banded -1249 and he agreed to resign all games of the second round.
  15. Kuala Lumpur, Malays
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 03:08
    You enter as a newcomer with a rating of 1200. My real rating should be around 1900, and I sincerely would prefer to play against players of this level. But this seems to be not possible. The only way to achieve this is to play against players of lower ratings to increase your level.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Klaus

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree