Calling out PtiteMel

Calling out PtiteMel

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

u
semper fi

Moves
20 Jun 08

Shame on you for ruining the January banded 2008 1250-1325 tournament with your rating of 1728. looks like you have a couple other so-called victories in the 1200ish banded tournies as well. We have had alot of flooding in the area where I live. You should come on down and help with some sandbags.

SS

Moves
20 Jun 08
1 edit

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by usmc7257
Shame on you for ruining the January banded 2008 1250-1325 tournament with your rating of 1728. looks like you have a couple other so-called victories in the 1200ish banded tournies as well. We have had alot of flooding in the area where I live. You should come on down and help with some sandbags.
Yep sad, very sad.

The sooner tourney entry floors are adopted the better.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by adramforall
Yep sad, very sad.

The sooner tourney entry floors are adopted the better.
They're already in place.

M

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
They're already in place.
They don't work very well then - 100 days is a joke.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
24 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by MissOleum
They don't work very well then - 100 days is a joke.
They weren't in place in January of '08, so there was no chance for them to work.

Hopefully we will get real rating floors here soon. That's the real fix.

l
Man of Steel

rushing to and fro

Moves
24 Jun 08

They weren't in place in January of '08, so there was no chance for them to work.

Might not have worked in this case anyway, since Ptite joined in Dec. '07 User 407228

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
25 Jun 08

No, it's not. Even with rating floors, he would have been able to enter the Jan 08 tournies, as presumably a fair rating floor would have to exclude provisional ratings. The rating floor would have prevented him from entering later low band tournies after his rating slumps.

SG, I think you might find this post and the proceeding posts interesting...
http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46202&page=2#post_828738

D

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
25 Jun 08

Originally posted by Ragnorak
No, it's not. Even with rating floors, he would have been able to enter the Jan 08 tournies, as presumably a fair rating floor would have to exclude provisional ratings. The rating floor would have prevented him from entering later low band tournies after his rating slumps.

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46202&page=2#post_828738

D
I looked at the latest dip in his graph and assumed that was when he entered the Jan tourney. My mistake.

I read the thread you linked. The problem of keeping underrated provisionals [or those recently out of the provisional phase] out of low-band tourneys is not so easily solved. Let me explain.

Higher-rated players don't usually accept challenges from lower-rated players [200+ points or more in particular] for obvious reasons. When I started here, my provisional rating came out low because high-rated players don't tend to want to play provisionals. So, I had to be a 1500 for awhile, and beat a bunch of other 1500s, then be a 1600 for awhile, until I beat a bunch of 1600s, etc.

Since I never could get many challenges from those outside my rating class, your proposal would not have stopped me from entering a bunch of U1600 or U1800 banded tourneys.

Now, imagine what happens when a player deliberately keeps their provisional rating low. I see no reasonable way to stop this.

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
26 Jun 08

Originally posted by Ragnorak

D
what made me think provisionals could not join tournies?

England.

Moves
27 Jun 08
1 edit

It's shocking!.
Players should withdraw from a tournament they know they are greatly over-rated for.

D

Moves
28 Jun 08

Originally posted by Quaff
It's shocking!.
Players should withdraw from a tournament they know they are greatly over-rated for.
Except there's no way to do so gracefully. Yes, I am aware that you can resign games. I expect some will be moved to point this out yet again. Resigning is not a graceful solution.

Graceful solutions are allowing users to opt out of the next round of the tournament, or in the case of banded tournaments, to have this "opt out" be done automatically if a rating is much higher than the upper limit.

s
Astrophysicist

Outer Space

Moves
28 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by DawgHaus
Except there's no way to do so gracefully. Yes, I am aware that you can resign games. I expect some will be moved to point this out yet again. Resigning is not a graceful solution.

Graceful solutions are allowing users to opt out of the next round of the tournament, or in the case of banded tournaments, to have this "opt out" be done automatically if a rating is much higher than the upper limit.
You can essentially "opt out" of the next round of a tourney by resigning all your games before the third move. This doesn't impact your rating and is essentially the same as being given a choice before starting the round. I have done this myself for a tourney where I ended up being much higher rated than the band, due to it being one of my first tournaments.

I don't think forcing a resignation or "opt out" is the right solution.

D

Moves
28 Jun 08

Originally posted by sven1000
You can essentially "opt out" of the next round of a tourney by resigning all your games before the third move. This doesn't impact your rating and is essentially the same as being given a choice before starting the round. I have done this myself for a tourney where I ended up being much higher rated than the band, due to it being one of my first tournaments.

I don't think forcing a resignation or "opt out" is the right solution.
No kidding, you can resign your games? 🙄

s
Astrophysicist

Outer Space

Moves
29 Jun 08

Originally posted by DawgHaus
No kidding, you can resign your games? 🙄
I guess I don't see why you consider this "disgraceful".

Being able to bow out without harm to your own rating puts the ethical choice squarely on the too-high-ranked player.