2009 Championship

2009 Championship

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
What about

Game 2721323; or
Game 2721320.

Maybe

Game 2701323; or
Game 2701324.
It's hardly a surprise that you would act in an unethical and unsporting manner. You run an OTB Chess Players club which is open to those who have been shown to have falsely claimed to have a Class A OTB rating. Your moral compass is severely flawed.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jan 09

Originally posted by Yuga
Not easy or practical to enforce especially when score sheets not collected.

Also there is a distinction between agreeing to a draw and fixing games.

Additionally the rule was done away in the last round in last year's US Championship:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1493558
Did you read the comments there? Unlike here, most posters there were appalled.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jan 09

You can be such a nasty piece of work can't you.

A previous sprat with you in the forum got me to cancel my subscription, now you have succeeded in doing it to someone else.

How many paying subscribers are you driving away from this site?
You Drama Queens always seem to come back.

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
16 Jan 09

Originally posted by no1marauder
Did you read the comments there? Unlike here, most posters there were appalled.
I suspect that most users would not care. I read the comments and considered the issue of trivial importance.

Agreeing to an early draw seems otiose [pointless] but not unethical to me.

It is more fun to me to play the game to its proper conclusion; I play chess purely for fun - and what is fun in chess is gaining knowledge and playing accurate and creative chess.

Generally by the last round of a USCF tournament, people want to go home!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jan 09

Originally posted by Yuga
I suspect that most users would not care. I read the comments and considered the issue of trivial importance.

Agreeing to an early draw seems otiose [pointless] but not unethical to me.

It is more fun to me to play the game to its proper conclusion; I play chess purely for fun - and what is fun in chess is gaining knowledge and playing accurate and creative chess.

Generally by the last round of a USCF tournament, people want to go home!
Some people consider the ethical and sporting implications of chess competition "trivial". The USCF rules do not.

I agree with the USCF rules regarding this matter and think their suspension to help one player get a GM norm is unconscionable.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jan 09

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Just saw this thread - what's the big deal.

If I was playing in a tournament and was one of the top two players
and the other player said let's agree two short draw so we can
concetrate on the rest. Yes. Good thinking.

This is not a weekend congress with bucks at stake.

It's a site where you can be playing 20-30 games at once - hence
OTB rule ...[text shortened]... are out the window.

It makes good sense to drop a couple of quick draws to ease the load.
The Official USCF Correspondence Chess Rules state under Your Responsibilities as a Player: "You must abide by the latest edition of the U.S. Chess Federation's Official Rules of Chess except when inappropriate for correspondence play." Thus, "OTB rules" are not "out the window".

Nor should they be as regards the ethical and sporting aspects of chess. "Tanking" games in this manner to give you an unfair advantage over your remaining opponents and increase your chances of advancing in a tourney violates the ethical spirit of chess competition.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
16 Jan 09

The Official USCF Correspondence Chess Rules state under Your Responsibilities as a Player: "You must abide by the latest edition of the U.S. Chess Federation's Official Rules of Chess except when inappropriate for correspondence play." Thus, "OTB rules" are not "out the window".

Nor should they be as regards the ethical and sporting asp ...[text shortened]... our chances of advancing in a tourney violates the ethical spirit of chess competition.
Unfair advantage!

Kindly please explain which way one enjoyes an unfair advantage when through drawing he gets less points, since the most critical for the participant of a group of the specific RHP tournament is to promote hiself to the next round by means of gathering the maximum points.

It seems to me that, under these specific circumstances, any player who agrees two draws like paulbuchmanfromfics he gains not an "unfair advantage". He just applies the strategy of the minimum effort against an opponent -but at the same time he forces hiself to play solely for a win against everybody else of the group. In my opinion this is by far more risky than, say, playing from the beginning for a win, and also such a strategy favours every other participant of the group -and this is the negative aspect of this decision. The positive is that he gets rid of two games at once against a strong opponent, and that therefore he reduces his gameload in order to focus against all his other opponents playing solely for a win.

Well?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
16 Jan 09
2 edits

At what point did I become subject to USCF rules?

(1) This site is not subject to USCF rules;
(2) I don't even live in the US. I am not subject to USCF rules;
(3) Even if I did I have not gained an unfair advantage by agreeing early draws. I have simply reduced my workload when I have too many games. Isn't it better to do this than resign them or be timed out in bulk!

This sort of arrogant behaviour from many US citizens is what makes so much of the world hate you. The world does not revolve around the US, a country that contains only 5% of the worlds population and a little too much of its wealth, but don't worry over the last 24 months you have all made a good job of destroying much of that.

Lets hope the world can survive US arrogance.

On the plus I am glad to say most Americans aren't quite as bad as you. I have visited the US 8 times and always felt welcomed and enjoyed myself but unfortunately a minority have your attitude and that makes the world hate you all. I wonder with your arrogant insular superior attitude if you have ever left your backwater home town.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
16 Jan 09
1 edit

It's hardly a surprise that you would act in an unethical and unsporting manner. You run an OTB Chess Players club which is open to those who have been shown to have falsely claimed to have a Class A OTB rating. Your moral compass is severely flawed.
Exactly what is a class A OTB rating. Is that an inflated USCF rating category.

How many times must I tell you. I don't even live in the US - I don't care about USCF rules.

Q
Tovenaar

Dieren

Moves
16 Jan 09
1 edit

Hi, to all of you
Can this discussion regarding presumed unsporting behaviour take place somewhere else?
It has little to do with the subject, namely the 2009-championships. I read this thread for news of the 2009-championships only to find out it has been hijacked for something else.
I suggest that someone starts a new thread about it if you still want to discuss that.

Regards
Otto

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
16 Jan 09

Originally posted by Quirine
Hi, to all of you
Can this discussion regarding presumed unsporting behaviour take place somewhere else?
It has little to do with the subject, namely the 2009-championships. I read this thread for news of the 2009-championships only to find out it has been hijacked for something else.
I suggest that someone starts a new thread about it if you still want to discuss that.

Regards
Otto
Well said.

e4

Moves
16 Jan 09

Hi, to all of you

Regards
Otto
But this is what happens to all threads.

Start up your own thread 'Any news of the 2009 Championship?'

I bet it get's taken over by another crew chasing another argument.

Start a thread called 'Argue Here' and they will gladly discuss the
2009 Championship.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jan 09

Originally posted by black beetle
Unfair advantage!

Kindly please explain which way one enjoyes an unfair advantage when through drawing he gets less points, since the most critical for the participant of a group of the specific RHP tournament is to promote hiself to the next round by means of gathering the maximum points.

It seems to me that, under these specific circumstances, a ...[text shortened]... gameload in order to focus against all his other opponents playing solely for a win.

Well?
Of course, he gains an unfair advantage as all the experienced player who have posted here know. He avoids having to play and use his time against his strongest opponent. In the meantime, his lower rated opponents have to use their just as valuable time against a strong opponent. How this doesn't equate to an advantage is beyond my comprehension. The two players who did it think it was an advantage as the one has already stated.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jan 09

At what point did I become subject to USCF rules?

(1) This site is not subject to USCF rules;
(2) I don't even live in the US. I am not subject to USCF rules;
(3) Even if I did I have not gained an unfair advantage by agreeing early draws. I have simply reduced my workload when I have too many games. Isn't it better to do this than resign them or be ...[text shortened]... with your arrogant insular superior attitude if you have ever left your backwater home town.
Your anti-American bashing is noted but utterly irrelevant.

I'd be surprised if the BCF doesn't have a similar rule. We both know if we were at an OTB tourney and saw players do the same thing, they'd be roundly condemned by 90% of the players there. Your ranting and raving aside, tanking games remains unsporting and unethical.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jan 09

Hi, to all of you

Regards
Otto
The behavior occurred in the 2009 Championship, so it is on-topic to discuss it here.