2009 Championship

2009 Championship

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
03 Sep 09

Originally posted by backfrom1994
Round 3 has just started. My favorite for winning 2009 Championship is Jockymckilt. He's the only one who made round 2 without any single loss or draw.
I agree. He's shown the ability to really "turn it on" in Championship play. Looking over his last 30 results:

15 Championship Games
W15 D0 L0 vs. 1966 = 2366 performance

15 other games
W4 D1 L10 vs. 1792 = 1632 performance

That ability is going to come in handy in the final.

a
Frustrate the Bad

Liverpool

Moves
03 Sep 09

I think you'll find Jockymcfilth's newly-acquired mastery of the game can be traced back to a little tournament he won last Nov. It was a 1250+ event. And he didn't have it all his own way: he lost a couple in the final group. But a loss or two does concentrate the mind, as his triumphant march through Group 6 amply demonstrates. On this performance, he must indeed be one of the favorites for the Championship.

But I have a question: has anyone ever won the Championship by finishing last in the final group? Or could this year be the first time?

ps. apologies to Gatecrasher for seeming to write him off earlier. It did look like he had it all to do. But a strong late run up the rails pulled it off.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
03 Sep 09

Originally posted by atticus2
ps. apologies to Gatecrasher for seeming to write him off earlier. It did look like he had it all to do. But a strong late run up the rails pulled it off.
Don't worry. I had also written myself off until dgbuckmeister stopped moving in his games.

The final is a mysterious one. I've only played one of my opponents before: sealion. I have a 6-2-2 record against him, but whereas my game has plateaued over the years, sealion has continued to improve, making him no 3 on the site and, in my opinion, favourite to win the title.

D

Moves
03 Sep 09

But I have a question: has anyone ever won the Championship by finishing last in the final group? Or could this year be the first time?
According to the crosstable, the winner of Tournament 1677 scored zero points.

Similar things have happened in other tournaments: Tournament 3851

But I take your meaning and I don't think it would ever happen even in the extreme case of it being justified.

a
Frustrate the Bad

Liverpool

Moves
04 Sep 09
2 edits

Originally posted by DawgHaus
Similar things have happened in other tournaments: Tournament 3851

But I take your meaning and I don't think it would ever happen even in the extreme case of it being justified.
Lol, that tournament win of yours in a classic! Clive took a dive!

As far as winning the Championship by finishing a creditable last, Gatecrasher had a brave go at it last year Tournament 3116 😲 🙄 😀

And as a footnote, only three of last year's thirteen Championship finalists remain active in RHP (3.5 if one includes No 1 M)

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
05 Sep 09

Lol, that tournament win of yours in a classic! Clive took a dive!

As far as winning the Championship by finishing a creditable last, Gatecrasher had a brave go at it last year Tournament 3116 😲 🙄 😀

And as a footnote, only three of last year's thirteen Championship finalists remain active in RHP (3.5 if one includes No 1 M)
Clives graph is even more amusing!

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
06 Sep 09

Tournament 5854

I think I will pick Tigerking to win the final - he was 2200 back in the days when there were hardly any of them around, plus he also got through a very hard group without losing a game.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
28 Oct 09

First match finished in the last round. Tigerking and Ilmio drew. (1 point won or two lost?)

J

Moves
28 Oct 09

Originally posted by Ponderable
First match finished in the last round. Tigerking and Ilmio drew. (1 point won or two lost?)
Two points lost.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
30 Oct 09

Probably more annoying for Tigerking, as he had a pretty good position in that game but the opposite coloured bishops proved to be too much of a tough nut to crack open.

Lots of games are in critical looking positions right now, should be interesting to see which way they swing...

New York

Moves
12 Nov 09

Game number 2 has just finished Game 6666748. A very good win for robbi.

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
12 Nov 09
1 edit

Tournament 5854.

B
bloody hell

feeding the chimps..

Moves
22 Nov 09

robbi draws his 2nd game after beating sealion in first 😲

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
25 Nov 09

The first timeouts happened against mabizaf

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
25 Nov 09
1 edit

Yeah, he was a bit unlucky to get dropped in this final after such a good performance in a 'clean' qualifying group.
A few other players are teetering on the brink of their timebanks too - I would expect to see some vacations flags raised sometime in the near future.

And 'Mr shameless' is still getting a fantastic performance against so many tough opponents...