1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Aug '21 14:53
    Though I prefer to write about inspirational topics, I feel after nearly a half century of watching one MLB team wallow in mediocrity, it’s time to speak up. MLB is slowly slipping into irreverence, due to many factors, the example below is the biggest one, and applies to the majority of MLB teams:

I’ve lived in the Pacific Northwest my whole life, and love sports. I have learned however there is one constant in MLB that never changes, and it is this: The Seattle Mariners will purchase just enough talent to call themselves a major league team, knowing legions of devoted fans will unfailingly file into the ball park, sit on their large rumps, with their baseball caps on, talking about ERA’s and batting averages, only to watch the home team finish out of the playoff hunt year after year.

Once a season is over Mariner ownership can be counted on to issue the same tired old talking points i.e. “they have some great young talent coming up” With the exception of a few teams in the 90’s that’s been the story of the 45+ year old Mariner franchise. Mention this fact to any baseball fan, and you’ll be saturated with one statistic after another on everything from slugging percentage to power rankings, this is because baseball fans can’t see past their stats, and realize corporate ownership of baseball teams is not about winning - it’s about money. Behind all those baseball stats. lurks an ugly truth: Mariner ownership doesn’t care if they win. For decades, Mariner ownership has kept their eye only on the bottom line of their financial spreadsheets. Like many, I stopped following MLB a few years ago, and have not missed it at all.

This just in: Mariner owners are soon expected to issue a statement that “they have some great young talent coming up”….
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '21 00:02
    With the internet and video games people have other options than sports for entertainment.

Sorry, but I have no I interest in watching over paid grown people playing childhood games.
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '21 01:36
    @mchill said
    Though I prefer to write about inspirational topics, I feel after nearly a half century of watching one MLB team wallow in mediocrity, it’s time to speak up. MLB is slowly slipping into irreverence, due to many factors, the example below is the biggest one, and applies to the majority of MLB teams:

I’ve lived in the Pacific Northwest my whole life, and love sports. I hav ...[text shortened]... r owners are soon expected to issue a statement that “they have some great young talent coming up”….
    It's not fair to criticize the MLB based on the fact that the Mariners have been a poorly run team for two decades. Is the NFL poorly run because the Jets stink or the NBA poorly run because Sacramento and the Knicks normally stinks or NCAA football poorly run because Vanderbilt can't compete with Alabama? There are winners and losers in sports and unfortunately for a far base sometimes your team is a loser.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Aug '21 10:031 edit
    @quackquack said
    It's not fair to criticize the MLB based on the fact that the Mariners have been a poorly run team for two decades. Is the NFL poorly run because the Jets stink or the NBA poorly run because Sacramento and the Knicks normally stinks or NCAA football poorly run because Vanderbilt can't compete with Alabama? There are winners and losers in sports and unfortunately for a far base sometimes your team is a loser.
    t's not fair to criticize the MLB t's not fair to criticize the MLB based on the fact that the Mariners have been a poorly run team for two decades.

Yes - it is very fair. If you'll please read my post again, you'll see this is not at all based on the fact that the Mariners have been a poorly run team for two decades (it's actually closer to 4 decades)

I noted early in my post that this senerio applies to many MLB teams, not just Seattle. At least half of the MLB teams operate this way. Most MLB owners care little about winning. They care about profits.
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    14 Aug '21 10:13
    @mchill said

I’ve lived in the Pacific Northwest my whole life, and love sports. I hav ...[text shortened]... r owners are soon expected to issue a statement that “they have some great young talent coming up”….
    But it's true...the Mariners DO have some very good talent in the pipeline.

Kelenic will adjust and become an All-Star. Julio Rodriguez will follow soon afterward.

Plus, the two righties; Hancock and Kirby are more than promising too. (Though, young pitching is always fraught with hurdles and speed bumps.)

As a long suffering Cleveland "Guardians" fan... I say: Keep the faith! 🙂
  6. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Aug '21 15:04
    @woofwoof said

Kelenic will adjust and become an All-Star. Julio Rodriguez will follow soon afterward.

Plus, the two righties; Hancock and Kirby are more than promising too. (Though, young pitching is always fraught with hurdles and speed bumps.)

As a long suffering Cleveland "Guardians" fan... I say: Keep the faith! 🙂

Oh yes, I've been hearing that for 45 years. So if this "talent" is so rich, where are all the World Series Championships?? Even the Mets have a couple of those-
  7. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    17 Aug '21 04:031 edit
    real chess players don't give a hoot about any pro sports.. I have NO respect for any of them.....chess is the ONLY thing that matters...pass the stupid ball, kick the stupid ball hit the stupid ball with a stick..push the ball over a net, swim and pass the ball lol what a useless thing to do...
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Aug '21 20:44
    @ogb said
    real chess players don't give a hoot about any pro sports.. I have NO respect for any of them.....chess is the ONLY thing that matters...pass the stupid ball, kick the stupid ball hit the stupid ball with a stick..push the ball over a net, swim and pass the ball lol what a useless thing to do...
    I bet you've never played any sport.

Chess doesn't count it is a board game.

-VR
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 19:56
    @mchill said
    t's not fair to criticize the MLB t's not fair to criticize the MLB based on the fact that the Mariners have been a poorly run team for two decades.

Yes - it is very fair. If you'll please read my post again, you'll see this is not at all based on the fact that the Mariners have been a poorly run team for two decades (it's actually closer to 4 decades)

I noted early in ...[text shortened]... the MLB teams operate this way. Most MLB owners care little about winning. They care about profits.
    As I pointed out before. Every sport has bad teams. You happen to root for a team that hasn't made the playoffs for a long time. But they have produced plenty of great teams capped off by the 2001 team which was 116–46. Your team had Griffey, A-rod and Randy Johnson on the same team. To make believe that they sucked every year is just ridiculous.
  10. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Aug '21 14:221 edit
    @quackquack said
    As I pointed out before. Every sport has bad teams. You happen to root for a team that hasn't made the playoffs for a long time. But they have produced plenty of great teams capped off by the 2001 team which was 116–46. Your team had Griffey, A-rod and Randy Johnson on the same team. To make believe that they sucked every year is just ridiculous.
    To make believe that they sucked every year is just ridiculous.

I wasn't "make believing" anything at all. If you'll take another glance at my post I said "with the exception of a few teams in the 90's..." Please try to look at something besides your stats.

Reading comprehension is a challenge for you isn't it?
  11. Joined
    20 Aug '21
    Moves
    28 Aug '21 01:47
    @mchill

You take glory from some team winning?

Get a life.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '21 10:38
    Personally, I only enjoyed watching a sport when I participated in the sport.

I quit watching college football when they made it ESPN football. Perhaps that is another reason why baseball is losing viewership, it is never on tv.
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '21 02:58
    @mchill said
    To make believe that they sucked every year is just ridiculous.

I wasn't "make believing" anything at all. If you'll take another glance at my post I said "with the exception of a few teams in the 90's..." Please try to look at something besides your stats.

Reading comprehension is a challenge for you isn't it?
    Did the Mariners suck in 2001 when they were 116-46 the best record ever?
    Do they suck now when they are 10 games over .500?
    DId they suck when they had Griffey, Arod and Randy Johnson?
    everyone wants their team to be better but MLB isn't dying because the Mariners don't win as much as you want?
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '21 03:04
    The reason why baseball is on the way out is because the generation that cares about it is dying off.

Younger people generally do not care about baseball. Every year baseball fans die and new ones are not replacing them.
  15. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    04 Sep '21 03:24
    @eladar said
    The reason why baseball is on the way out is because the generation that cares about it is dying off.

Younger people generally do not care about baseball. Every year baseball fans die and new ones are not replacing them.
    exactly correct..the same can be said for Golf !

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree