1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Sep '23 08:04
    Not that I follow Cricket, but this came up in the news.

Anything to discuss?
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '23 12:06
    India is hot.

India will win.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Sep '23 14:40
    @a-unique-nickname said
    India is hot.

India will win.
    What about Sri Lanka or Pakistan?
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    28 Sep '23 09:59
    @ponderable said
    I don't think he means that definition of "hot"
    India are the home team and will have a big crowd of supporters
    They have to be favourites.
    If there are day/night fixtures which there usually are a lot will depend on the coin toss.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '23 00:22
    @ponderable said
    India are top of the ODI, T20 and test rankings, Plus they're at home. Sri Lanka aren't great at the moment and Pakistan always seem to find a way to lose.

England should be good enough for a semi final spot.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '23 00:23
    @venda said
    I don't think he means that definition of "hot"
    India are the home team and will have a big crowd of supporters
    They have to be favourites.
    If there are day/night fixtures which there usually are a lot will depend on the coin toss.
    There has to be a better solution than a coin toss, maybe 'home' and 'away' matches with the home team deciding who bats first?
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    29 Sep '23 12:31
    @a-unique-nickname said
    There has to be a better solution than a coin toss, maybe 'home' and 'away' matches with the home team deciding who bats first?
    Don't think it's gonna happen Trev.
    Bit late for rule changes
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Oct '23 08:53
    There was a major upset yesterday:

Afghanistan beat England!
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Oct '23 07:19
    And there seems to be the world cup for the upsets: Netherlands beats South Africa.

Did the experts on site saw that coming?
  10. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    18 Oct '23 13:241 edit
    @ponderable said
    And there seems to be the world cup for the upsets: Netherlands beats South Africa.

Did the experts on site saw that coming?
    I don't profess to being an expert but I am following the competition.
    All the sides have experience in this format but you would expect the sides with the "more talented" shall we say players winning the most games.
    However,it all depends on the performance on the day.A dropped catch,a few batsmen getting out to silly shots or just bad luck can turn any game on it's head.
    England were poor against Afghanistan who played out of their skin and deservedly won.England still have all the top sides to play and I wouldn't expect them to qualify for the last 4.Australia have had a poor start also,They have dropped more catches than any other side.
    My prediction for the last 4 would be New Zealand -who have been excellent,South Africa,Pakistan and India
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '23 13:18
    @venda said
    I don't profess to being an expert but I am following the competition.
    All the sides have experience in this format but you would expect the sides with the "more talented" shall we say players winning the most games.
    However,it all depends on the performance on the day.A dropped catch,a few batsmen getting out to silly shots or just bad luck can turn any game on it's head.
    E ...[text shortened]... diction for the last 4 would be New Zealand -who have been excellent,South Africa,Pakistan and India
    I wrote a reply to this a couple of days ago on an airport wifi and it didn't send.

I had said that for me Afganistan beating England wasn't as big of a shock than Netherlands beating south Africa but I had forgotten that last year Netherlands beat SA at the T20 WC. 50 over cricket a lot different however, Afghanistan are always improving and capable of beating anyone on their day imo.

I haven't seen much of it this year tbh but I did just catch the last couple of hours of the SA innings there against England, incredible partnership at the end. England bowlers have been poor but SA were excellent.

I'd agree with New Zealand, India and South Africa but Pakistan are hard to trust, as shown in the Australia defeat. If England beat Australia and Pakistan they can still make the top 4 but It's looking increasingly unlikely.
  12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    22 Oct '23 08:07
    @a-unique-nickname said
    I wrote a reply to this a couple of days ago on an airport wifi and it didn't send.

I had said that for me Afganistan beating England wasn't as big of a shock than Netherlands beating south Africa but I had forgotten that last year Netherlands beat SA at the T20 WC. 50 over cricket a lot different however, Afghanistan are always improving and capable of beating a ...[text shortened]... nd beat Australia and Pakistan they can still make the top 4 but It's looking increasingly unlikely.
    I can't see England bearing any side at the moment.
    Apart from a couple of individuals, they just haven't turned up.
    They had an easy start playing the weaker teams and should have been top of the group.
    What they must NOT do now is make wholesale changes.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    31 Oct '23 11:36
    @venda said
    I can't see England bearing any side at the moment.
    Apart from a couple of individuals, they just haven't turned up.
    They had an easy start playing the weaker teams and should have been top of the group.
    What they must NOT do now is make wholesale changes.
    They've been a complete shambles. Too many changes, bad decisions with the toss. It all started ages ago, dropping Jason Roy just because he wanted to play in America and cancel his central contract. Then taking Archer as a reserve but he wasn't fit if someone got injured.

They desperately miss Morgan imo, best captain they've ever had.
  14. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    01 Nov '23 13:30
    @a-unique-nickname said
    They've been a complete shambles. Too many changes, bad decisions with the toss. It all started ages ago, dropping Jason Roy just because he wanted to play in America and cancel his central contract. Then taking Archer as a reserve but he wasn't fit if someone got injured.

They desperately miss Morgan imo, best captain they've ever had.
    Agreed.England have been awful.
    I obviously don't know what has been said off field,but it seems to me they just don't seem bothered.Maybe dressing room politics has had a say? Morale is important and England's must be at an all time low.
    New Zealand have been unlucky with injuries to their bowlers but they still should make the top 4
    The Aussies have had a resurgence.I can't bring myself to support them because the cheats Smith and Warner are playing. Imo they should have been banned for life.
    Pakistan have dropped a few points,mainly because of poor fielding.
    At the moment I can't see anyone beating India and South Africa to the final
  15. Standard memberpawnpaw
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    02 Nov '23 17:18
    @Ponderable
    I didn't, but the Dutch were very good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree