Bad Omen for Big 12?

Bad Omen for Big 12?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
06 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
I got news for ya, there is a short list of teams that DO belong on the field with USC. The only ones I can think of are Florida, Utah........that's about it. 😛

The reality of the matter is, that there are such gaps between the top elite and the rest of college football that it kinda takes the fun out of watching the "big games" like the NCG and the Ros ...[text shortened]... t be to pair USC with the best in the SEC for the Rose Bowl every year instead of the Big 10.
You, of all people should realize that in championship type matchups, anything can happen. How many times to the underdogs win the matches? You can't count anyone out. Are you projecting a blowout by Florida in the NCG? I think Urban Meyer is crapping in his pants now because he is "supposed to win" and OU will be playing the role of the underdog. Furthermore, do you honestly believe that Utah would beat Florida? Obviously you think they would beat OU. Do you think USC would beat Florida? Obviously you think they would beat OU.

Remember in 2006 what happened when they said no one could beat USC...in the Rose Bowl? Texas did beat them. Huge underdogs and they took it straight up the gut against them and their Heisman winner. Never say never. Boise State upset OU by a point, in overtime. They pulled it off once. They wouldn't pull it off again. On a given day any team can beat another team. Texas Tech had their moment against Texas, in Lubbock, where they play very tough. Ohio State had their chance last night, but were unsuccessful. Do you believe Alabama, playing at full strength would lose to Utah again? I don't. Utah put it together that night. They are good and I will give them credit for being one of the better teams, but you can only speculate on what might have been not what happened.

The present system is a joke. It has been that way for years. Even before the BCS, the writers would always try and name a team from one of the coasts as champion before they would go to a central team. That is a FACT. The BCS is a popularity contest as well. I believe a playoff system would be an improvement, but even that can get skewed by the matchups. The two best teams still might not make it to the championship game. But, the ones who win out would. There is no perfect solution.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
06 Jan 09

Originally posted by shortcircuit
You, of all people should realize that in championship type matchups, anything can happen. How many times to the underdogs win the matches? You can't count anyone out. Are you projecting a blowout by Florida in the NCG? I think Urban Meyer is crapping in his pants now because he is "supposed to win" and OU will be playing the role of the underdog. Furth ...[text shortened]... it to the championship game. But, the ones who win out would. There is no perfect solution.
There's so much hype here locally with these f'n teams I can't see straight, but I'll say it once again shorty....... you guessed it,

GO GATORS!!!

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
06 Jan 09

Originally posted by SmookieP
There's so much hype here locally with these f'n teams I can't see straight, but I'll say it once again shorty....... you guessed it,

GO GATORS!!!
Let's see Smookie....you rooted for the Dolphins, right?
And the Dolphins got beaten.

Now you are rooting for the Gators, right?
Hummmmm.....as much as i hate to say it,
looks like it might just be boomer sooner!!!

I will always root for my conference anyway, even though I loathe OU, especially since we have so many detractors.

w

Moves
06 Jan 09

You, of all people should realize that in championship type matchups, anything can happen. How many times to the underdogs win the matches? You can't count anyone out. Are you projecting a blowout by Florida in the NCG? I think Urban Meyer is crapping in his pants now because he is "supposed to win" and OU will be playing the role of the underdog. Furth ...[text shortened]... it to the championship game. But, the ones who win out would. There is no perfect solution.
I would say that Utah would beat Alabama again and again and again if given the opportunity. As for Florida, I think it would be a much closer game, however, who is to say? All you can say is that one has been beaten once and the other has not been beaten at all.

As for USC, I would say that they probably should be in the National title game pretty much every year. It really does not seem to matter which year and it really does not seem to matter who is the coach. What I do know is the talent seems to flock there for various reasons year after year after year after year......

You are correct that Texas beat them in a NCG but ONLY because of a certain QB who should have won the Heisman trophy. In effect, you had one of the best QB's I have ever seen in modern times on a good football team. He, in effect, picked up the team, put them on his shoulders, and dragged them to victory. Even at that, they barely won. I guess what I am saying is that it took a freak of nature to overcome the natural order of things. To correct this problem, I propose to match them up in the Rose Bowl every year with the best in the SEC. I think this would provide much better match ups than playing the Big Ten. I don't think even you would argue with that. Problem is, however, I think USC like beating up on the Big Ten every year and then proclaiming to the world how great they are. Why not for a change play someone on their own level or even, God forbid, play their bowl game somewhere else other than their own back yard!!

w

Moves
06 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
To me, it supports what I've been saying all along; the elite teams in the Big 12 were overrated. That you had to rally against Ohio State made it a better game than the Rose or Sugar bowls, but it doesn't make your team a better team than USC or Utah.

God we need a playoff (though Texas wouldn't have made it into the MCS).
I got to thinking more about this today and this is what I have come up with. If you match up Texas vs Penn State I say Penn State wins. If you match up OSU against any other Big 12 team, other than possibly Oklahoma, I say OSU wins. Heck, Northwestern almost beat Mizzu. LOL.

In short, the order of the match ups are what killed the Big Ten.

E

Moves
07 Jan 09

whodey,

You are aware of the fact that each year a football team changes. Seniors and really good juniors graduate or go on the NFL, freshmen and JUCO transfers get addded to the mix and redshirt freshmen and juniors get playing time. Last year's starters get stronger and faster and more experienced.

Thererfore saying things like "USC has kicked our butt" and "LSU and Florida kicked our butt" doesn't mean that this year's Florida or LSU team would kick Ohio State's butt.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
07 Jan 09

Let's see Smookie....you rooted for the Dolphins, right?
And the Dolphins got beaten.

Now you are rooting for the Gators, right?
Hummmmm.....as much as i hate to say it,
looks like it might just be boomer sooner!!!

I will always root for my conference anyway, even though I loathe OU, especially since we have so many detractors.
Your bias for the "Big" 12 is no secret short stuff. I too root for local teams, with the exception of the Miami Hoolicanes.. I despise them..

Texas beat OU? and then very nearly lost to a Big 10 team? I'm not making any predictions... If my team loses I won't be slitting my throat, but I got a feeling there's going to be some huge roaring coming from Dolphins' stadium thursday night.

w

Moves
07 Jan 09
2 edits

Originally posted by Eladar
whodey,

You are aware of the fact that each year a football team changes. Seniors and really good juniors graduate or go on the NFL, freshmen and JUCO transfers get addded to the mix and redshirt freshmen and juniors get playing time. Last year's starters get stronger and faster and more experienced.

Thererfore saying things like "USC has kicked our b ur butt" doesn't mean that this year's Florida or LSU team would kick Ohio State's butt.
It changes about as much as the MAC playing the OSU every year. For example, when Bowling Green rolls into town the assumption is that the best talent will be on the side of OSU for obvious reasons no matter when it may be. I think the same could be said of USC. USC is to the Big Ten as the Big Ten is to the MAC. The only difference is, when USC faces the Big Ten it is in the Rose Bowl and in their own back yard to boot.

I think similar comparisons can be made for the SEC. For example, did you know that OSU's record against the SEC is something like 0-9? This of course, is over many, many years.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
07 Jan 09

Originally posted by whodey
It changes about as much as the MAC playing the OSU every year. For example, when Bowling Green rolls into town the assumption is that the best talent will be on the side of OSU for obvious reasons no matter when it may be. I think the same could be said of USC. USC is to the Big Ten as the Big Ten is to the MAC. The only difference is, when USC faces the ...[text shortened]... OSU's record against the SEC is something like 0-9? This of course, is over many, many years.
Bowling Green? Are schools like them really a threat to OSU? Kent State, Miami of Ohio, Ball State.. do they really pose a threat?

Moves
07 Jan 09

I don't have any kind of invested interest in who wins the national championship, but....

Probably the only thing more dependable than Ohio St. choking in a big game is OK choking in a big game. On paper the Sooners should stack up but the stars seem to align against Stoops and Co. time after time.

It'll be interesting to see if the nation can avoid another yawner in the title game.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
07 Jan 09

Originally posted by Badwater
I don't have any kind of invested interest in who wins the national championship, but....

Probably the only thing more dependable than Ohio St. choking in a big game is OK choking in a big game. On paper the Sooners should stack up but the stars seem to align against Stoops and Co. time after time.

It'll be interesting to see if the nation can avoid another yawner in the title game.
😴

Moves
07 Jan 09

Whatever.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
07 Jan 09

Originally posted by Badwater
Whatever.
Not so interesting? mmkay.

I think Thursday Night may be a yawner... ... AHHhhhh 😴

For some. Maybe the first half? Ahhhhh stretch, then, shift.

E

Moves
07 Jan 09

USC is to the Big Ten as the Big Ten is to the MAC.

The Big Ten has been underperforming in the Rose Bowl for quite some time. It's happened for my entire lifetime and if I remember correctly from what I've read, even earlier.

It could be that the Pac 10 is just a better conference. It could be that it is more difficult to practice in Big Ten area as opposed to the West Coast during the month of December.

In any case, my point is still the same. There is no legacy in football. When players leave and coaches leave, the team changes. I'm looking forward to seeing this year's game against Florida. I can remember the year OU got spanked by USC and all the hype about how OU was going to dominate SC. That's why they play the games.

w

Moves
08 Jan 09

Originally posted by SmookieP
Bowling Green? Are schools like them really a threat to OSU? Kent State, Miami of Ohio, Ball State.. do they really pose a threat?
No and neither does the Big Ten pose a threat to USC. That is my point.