1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 14:211 edit
    Some Big 12 fans here have been claiming that the top teams in the Big 12 have utterly fantastic offenses and their defenses aren't half bad. I've been saying that their offensive stats are inflated by playing against the weak defenses of the Big 12. Who's right?

Well, I am (of course).

Case in point, last night's Alamo Bowl. Missouri came in with the 7th rated offense in yards gained and scoring over 42 points a game. Their opponent, Northwestern of the Bowl-challenged Big Ten, had a defense rated only 51st in the country and had been blown out by Michigan State 37-20, Ohio State 45-10 and had even lost to lowly Indiana. What's more Missouri had 2007 Heisman Finalist Chase Daniel at QB. No wonder, the Tigers were 12 to 14 point favorites. Offensive fireworks were sure to happen, right?

Well, no. Missouri did wind up winning the game in OT, 30-23. But they got only 1 offensive touchdown in regulation and were held to 311 yards, almost 175 less than their average (and about 30 less than what Northwestern usually gives up). Daniel was picked off 3 times. http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/boxscore?gameId=200812290032

This game makes me think that Ohio State might have a change of upsetting Texas after all; the Buckeyes' defense is 8th in the country. And don't get me started on what Oklahoma can expect.

Next test is Oklahoma State's 6th ranked offense against Oregon in the Holiday Bowl. The Ducks defense is rated 81st so the Cowboys should score 50, right? Don't bet on it.
  2. SubscriberSmookiePonline
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 15:21
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Some Big 12 fans here have been claiming that the top teams in the Big 12 have utterly fantastic offenses and their defenses aren't half bad. I've been saying that their offensive stats are inflated by playing against the weak defenses of the Big 12. Who's right?

Well, I am (of course).

Case in point, last night's Alamo Bowl. ...[text shortened]... The Ducks defense is rated 81st so the Cowboys should score 50, right? Don't bet on it.
    I Have to agree with you.. the GREAT and powerful Mizzou from the 'wonderous' Big 12 trounced the "Big 10"..

It was a pretty good matchup of teams, and maybe locally those loyal to either team had a good time.

😴
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 15:262 edits

Well, I am (of course).

Case in point, last night's Alamo Bowl. The Ducks defense is rated 81st so the Cowboys should score 50, right? Don't bet on it.
    Hummm. Missouri managed to win the game by nutting it up when it counted. Chase Daniel looked like Brett Farve the last few weeks during the first 3 quarters but got it together when it counted. Bad nights do happen. The most accuarate kicker in NCAA history missed a game winning field goal at the end of regulation too. Guess he isn't worth a crap either. I also don't recall your prognostication BEFORE the game that you thought anything else other than a Missouri runaway. No, that is the advantage of the old "after the fact attack". I also guess you are all over Utah, your new Cinderella team (since Boise got spanked like there was no tomorrow). Alabama made it easier on the Utes by suspending the top offensive lineman in the country for the game. I will stand behind my statements that the best group of QB's and offenses in the country are in the Big 12. I don't have anything more to base my claim on than the facts and the numbers, but I am sure that you, the "Impotent Wizard of Protagonistic Powers"
    will feel otherwise.

Oh, and for the record now...are you saying Ohio State will beat Texas?
    Are you saying Oregon will beat Oklahoma State?
    Are you saying Mississippi will beat Texas Tech?
    Are you projecting Minnesota will beat Kansas?
    We already know you are projecting Florida as the winner over Oklahoma.

I think the Big 12 will fare no worse that 4-2 in it's bowl games, although I feel they will go 5-1. Let's hear your picks Swampy!!
  4. SubscriberSmookiePonline
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 15:32
    I think I have 2 tickets to the Sooner's debacle here in South Florida..

Any bids?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 15:50
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Hummm. Missouri managed to win the game by nutting it up when it counted. Chase Daniel looked like Brett Farve the last few weeks during the first 3 quarters but got it together when it counted. Bad nights do happen. The most accuarate kicker in NCAA history missed a game winning field goal at the end of regulation too. Guess he isn't worth a crap eithe ...[text shortened]... 2 in it's bowl games, although I feel they will go 5-1. Let's hear your picks Swampy!!
    I already picked Ole Miss to beat Texas Tech. I think Oregon will beat Oklahoma State. You know I think Florida will beat Oklahoma. Hadn't given much thought to Kansas-Minnesota. Still think Texas will probably beat Ohio State.

Never picked Missouri to destroy Northwestern; didn't pick the game at all (haven't spent too much time worrying about the minor bowl games). Boise "got spanked" by 1 whole point. I'd like to see Utah beat Alabama, but I don't expect it to happen - I already said the two best teams in the country played in the SEC Championship game.

You haven't kept much track of what I have said, have you? I have kept track of what you have though and the "great" Big 12 offenses won't be looking so "great" when the bowl games are done.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 17:09
    Hummm. Missouri managed to win the game by nutting it up when it counted. Chase Daniel looked like Brett Farve the last few weeks during the first 3 quarters but got it together when it counted. Bad nights do happen. The most accuarate kicker in NCAA history missed a game winning field goal at the end of regulation too. Guess he isn't worth a crap eithe ...[text shortened]... 2 in it's bowl games, although I feel they will go 5-1. Let's hear your picks Swampy!!
    BTW, where are your predictions on these games? Which one do you think the Big 12 will lose?
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 17:33
    BTW, where are your predictions on these games? Which one do you think the Big 12 will lose?
    The game I am the least sure about is OU vs Florida. I believe Florida will win the game. I feel the remaining Big 12 teams will win the rest of the games, but Oregon could trip OSU. So I am picking Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, OSU to win.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 17:42
    The game I am the least sure about is OU vs Florida. I believe Florida will win the game. I feel the remaining Big 12 teams will win the rest of the games, but Oregon could trip OSU. So I am picking Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, OSU to win.
    The last couple of years the Big 12 has been .500 in bowl games. Of course, the Big Ten is far below .500. So I say the Big 12 will sweep the Big 10 and lose the rest.
  9. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 18:36
    I'm looking for Oregon to win; not so much because I'm a Duck, but because the Ducks seems to be firing on all cylinders and for the first time in their last 5 bowl games they have a stable QB situation. We've been running on 4th and 5th string QBs for the longest time due to injury.

The Holiday bowl matchup is as even a game as I can recall (not that my recollection means much). Special teams play will be pivotal. I think that barring an unfavorable turnover margin, the Ducks' three-headed running attack wins the day.
  10. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 06:441 edit
    GO DUCKS!!

Hell yeah.😀
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 13:35
    Well, the Oklahoma State's "defense" gave up 565 yards to Oregon. Their offense fell 18 yards short of their regular season average playing against the 82nd ranked defense in the nation.

I continue to be right (of course).
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 13:37
    Looks like the "Impotent Wizard of Protagonistic Powers" was correct and you were wrong, SC.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 13:39
    BTW, you forget the Gator Bowl where Nebraska plays disappointing Clemson. I'll still take the Tigers.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 14:50
    BTW, you forget the Gator Bowl where Nebraska plays disappointing Clemson. I'll still take the Tigers.
    I'll take Nebraska as an underdog...just to keep it spirited!!
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 14:52
    Looks like the "Impotent Wizard of Protagonistic Powers" was correct and you were wrong, SC.
    Yes, you were right, but I did mention that I was not certain about that game. The first half was all OSU but the second half did them in.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree