Bad Omen for Big 12?

Bad Omen for Big 12?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
04 Jan 09

I don't think Alabama's offensive line problems had anything to do with the numbers Utah's offensive put up on Alabama. But hey, according to what I've read, after the game Saban said Utah's quarterback is the best quarterback his team played against this year. I guess that means Utah's QB is better than Tebow.

As for the high ranked teams that Texas has played, I think you should only count the team's ranking at the end of the season. Otherwise, OU will have played the same teams (OSU and Mizzou) but be credited with playing lower rated teams. That just isn't the correct thing to do.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Jan 09

Originally posted by Eladar
Read the quote again if you think the statement was about generic Big XII defenses.

[b]The OU-Texas Tech game showed that the top Big 12 teams can't play D.

Oh, and you might want to check Alabama's defensive stats against Utah while you are at it. Perhaps this is an omen about tough SEC defenses.[/b]
Yes, when I said "top Big 12 teams can't play D" that clearly means I was talking about individual teams. ๐Ÿ™„

Utah got 349 total yards. According to you, when a SEC team gives up that number it shows that SEC teams' defenses aren't very good, but when your favorite team gives up 57 more that's proof they have a "good" defense! Again๐Ÿ™„

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
04 Jan 09
1 edit

I don't think Alabama's offensive line problems had anything to do with the numbers Utah's offensive put up on Alabama. But hey, according to what I've read, after the game Saban said Utah's quarterback is the best quarterback his team played against this year. I guess that means Utah's QB is better than Tebow.

As for the high ranked teams that Texas h ut be credited with playing lower rated teams. That just isn't the correct thing to do.
No sir. Texas also has OU and Kansas. When Texas played every one of them, they were in the top 10 in the rankings, except for Kansas which I believe was #11 at the time. Their loss to Tech was on the last play of the game as well.

Oh, and Jevon Snead left UT because he couldn't beat out Colt McCoy. Guess Colt has to be better than him then.

E

Moves
04 Jan 09

Too bad for you that the "when Texas played them" isn't taken into consideration when they determine SoS.

Utah got 349 total yards. According to you, when a SEC team gives up that number it shows that SEC teams' defenses aren't very good

My point was that perhaps the SEC offenses in general aren't very good. When they have to play teams with good offenses, their numbers look more like Big XII defensive numbers.

w

Moves
04 Jan 09

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Well, I can because you haven't yet seen the BCS title game. Granted, Utah played well against Alabama (although Alabama played without the best Offensive lineman in the country which forced 4 players to play out of position for the game. This is not to make excuses, but you cannot ignore the fact that Utah may not have had as effective a rush if Alabam ...[text shortened]... would like to see the other two bowl games before I annoint a lesser team as National Champion.
I knew it, there is one in every crowd. :'(

All I can say is, most of the people I converse with all agree that Utah should at least have a piece of the title. Of course, those who live in Florida or around Oklahoma would naturally not agree, but I get the sense that most everyone else agrees.

If the BCS does not reform itself simply on the basis of greed, then perhaps the fans should begin their own ranking system and crowning of a National Champion? Perhaps it could be done with mere votes?

E

Moves
05 Jan 09
1 edit

Wouldn't this have been nice?

Dec 24:

Home vs Visit

OU vs Boise State

Alabama vs USC

Texas vs Penn State

Florida vs Utah

(Tech gets the boot because no conference can send more than 2 teams to the Championship Series)

New Years Day

Winners of the first two games meet in the Fiesta Bowl
Winners of the second two games meet in the Rose Bowl

Loser in first two play in the Orange
Losers in the second play in the Sugar

Winners of the Fiesta and Rose meet in the National Championship game Jan 8.

Those teams who do not make the cut play in other bowls.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
06 Jan 09

Wouldn't this have been nice?

Dec 24:

Home vs Visit

OU vs Boise State

Alabama vs USC

Texas vs Penn State

Florida vs Utah

(Tech gets the boot because no conference can send more than 2 teams to the Championship Series)

New Years Day

Winners of the first two games meet in the Fiesta Bowl
Winners of the second two games meet in th ...[text shortened]... e National Championship game Jan 8.

Those teams who do not make the cut play in other bowls.
Not a bad idea, but in order to pull it off, you would need to eliminate conference championship games in all conferences to even out the number of games for all teams.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
06 Jan 09
1 edit

Horns beat the Buckeyes. Boring first half and a wild second half. Overall, one of the better bowl games that were played. The crappy Big 12 defense held OSU to one touchdown, two 50+ yard field goals and one chip shot field goal. Not too shabby.

BTW, Colt McCoy threw for over 400 yards and two TD and ran for another TD. Not too shabby either.

w

Moves
06 Jan 09
1 edit

I have to say that the Texas win over my Buckeyes was not all that impressive. In fact, they won by the skin of their teeth to say the least. If you ask me, the second best in the Big Ten matched up pretty well with the second best in the Big 12.

God help Oklahoma!!

w

Moves
06 Jan 09

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Horns beat the Buckeyes. Boring first half and a wild second half. Overall, one of the better bowl games that were played. The crappy Big 12 defense held OSU to one touchdown, two 50+ yard field goals and one chip shot field goal. Not too shabby.
The crappy Texas defense? You forgot to mention the crappy OSU offense. In fact, they could not even score a touch down against USC or Penn State. Prior is a rookie QB who can't throw as of yet and Wells has been hurt all season as evident by him sitting out the majority of the last half. In addition, their offensive line has had issues since I can remember.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
06 Jan 09

Originally posted by whodey
I have to say that the Texas win over my Buckeyes was not all that impressive. In fact, they won by the skin of their teeth to say the least. If you ask me, the second best in the Big Ten matched up pretty well with the second best in the Big 12.

God help Oklahoma!!
Which side gets the W and which gets the L? The better team won, regardless of the score. And to think, the way Texas won this game was precisely the way they received their only loss of the season.

E

Moves
06 Jan 09

Texas certainly didn't appear to be all that dominant.

But then again, there are those who said that Alabama should have defeated Florida. That game wasn't exactly a blow out. Utah handled Alabama better than Florida did. OU handled Tech better than Ole Miss did, so when it comes to making comparisons, it seems to me that we'll just have to see.

I'm not very impressed with the Wells kid's durability. He doesn't play at the beginning of the season because of injury and then he gets knocked out of the game by Texas.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
06 Jan 09

Originally posted by whodey
The crappy Texas defense? You forgot to mention the crappy OSU offense. In fact, they could not even score a touch down against USC or Penn State. Prior is a rookie QB who can't throw as of yet and Wells has been hurt all season as evident by him sitting out the majority of the last half. In addition, their offensive line has had issues since I can remember.
BULL!! Wells got his bell rung in the 3rd quarter. He was running at full speed in the first half and kept OSU in the game by himself. OSU gets their only TD on a razzle dazzle with a push off by Prior that wasn't called. Face it, Texas nutted up and did what it took to win and OSU pulled another disappearing act in the Bowls.

E

Moves
06 Jan 09

He was running at full speed in the first half and kept OSU in the game by himself.

No, I'd say that Freshman quarterback's legs also kept OSU in the game, as well as the pick thrown at the end of the half.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
06 Jan 09

[b]He was running at full speed in the first half and kept OSU in the game by himself.

No, I'd say that Freshman quarterback's legs also kept OSU in the game, as well as the pick thrown at the end of the half.[/b]
The QB did break off a couple of nice runs in the first half to be sure. Wells had 60+ rushing yards and 20+ receiving yards in the first half. That far outdistances Prior's efforts. The pick at the end of the first half kept the game close. The 3rd quarter was no contest. NOt really sure why Texas didn't run the hurry up the entire second half. It was obvious OSU was lost trying to stop it. When they had time to set their defense, they were very tough. It is no scret that Texas has no running game, so OSU was pinning their ears back and coming after the QB all night, yet they didn't get it done. Quan Cosby played a helluva a game as well. McCoy also completed passes to 7 or 8 different receivers as well.