Bad Omen for Big 12?

Bad Omen for Big 12?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
03 Jan 09

Your post from 23 Nov 08

The OU-Texas Tech game showed that the top Big 12 teams can't play D.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=99139&page=25

I posted the stats and showed how OU's defensive stats were better than Ole Miss' stats, but somehow Ole Miss can still play defense and OU can't.

Your second hypocritical statement was to come up with an excuse as to why OU's stats were better after you have accused me of coming up with excuses on several occassions in this thread.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jan 09
2 edits

Originally posted by Eladar
Your post from 23 Nov 08

[b]The OU-Texas Tech game showed that the top Big 12 teams can't play D.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=99139&page=25

I posted the stats and showed how OU's defensive stats were better than Ole Miss' stats, but somehow Ole Miss can still play defense and OU can't.

Your second hypocritical st r after you have accused me of coming up with excuses on several occassions in this thread.[/b]
Who said Ole Miss had a great D? They had 3 losses in the SEC. But their D was good enough to easily beat Texas Tech which lost only 1 game in the Big 12.

Only a Big 12 fan could think that giving up 406 yards in a game was "good" defense. Oklahoma's defense is 63rd in the nation in yards allowed and 57th in points allowed. That's "average" at best.
http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2008&org=522

E

Moves
03 Jan 09
1 edit

Ole Miss had the 4th best defense in the SEC. Nice Try.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/mississippi.htm

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jan 09

Ole Miss had the 4th best defense in the SEC. Nice Try.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/mississippi.htm
So the 4th best defense in the SEC held the 4th best offense in the country to 100 yards less than their average. Again, that's not a "good omen" for the Big 12 esp. considering that Florida has a better D than Ole Miss.

And yes, yes you can keep running back to Oklahoma's best game of the season to "prove" how their defense isn't all that bad. For a few more days anyway and then you'll have to figure out what excuses to use for OU's loss to the Gators.

E

Moves
03 Jan 09
2 edits

Here is your quote:

You are the one who called out this game and said it showed that the top Big 12 teams can't play D.

Now that the number 14 defense in the nation and number 4 defense in the SEC put up worse numbers than OU, you are still unable to admit you were wrong.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stats/byteam?cat1=defense&cat2=Total&sort=1137&conference=I-A_all&year=2008

That's not unexpected. It's just fun putting up the numbers and dealing with the facts and watching you make an even bigger fool of yourself. 🙂

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jan 09

Here is your quote:

[b]The OU-Texas Tech game showed that the top Big 12 teams can't play D.

You are the one who called out this game and said it showed that the top Big 12 teams can't play D.

Now that the number 14 defense in the nation and number 4 defense in the SEC put up worse numbers than OU, you are still unable to admit you were wrong. ...[text shortened]... numbers and dealing with the facts and watching you make an even bigger fool of yourself. 🙂[/b]
Yup, I sure made a fool of myself predicting that Ole Miss would upset Texas Tech.

I fail to see how the way that the Big 12 defenses have been run through in the bowls "proves" that my statement on their defensive inadequacies was "wrong". Most people who aren't complete idiots would have to concede I've been pretty spot on.

E

Moves
03 Jan 09

Quit trying to change the subject and deal with the topic I've brought up.

You made of fool of yourself when you wrote:

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jan 09

Quit trying to change the subject and deal with the topic I've brought up.

You made of fool of yourself when you wrote:

[b]
[/b]
Do you consider a team that gave up 550 yards to Kansas State to be one that has a good defense?

E

Moves
03 Jan 09

Originally posted by no1marauder
Do you consider a team that gave up 550 yards to Kansas State to be one that has a good defense?
Quit changing the subject and admit that you were wrong.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jan 09

Quit changing the subject and admit that you were wrong.
I wasn't. The two teams in that game combined for 1031 yards and 86 points. That's pretty crappy defense, ain't it?

E

Moves
03 Jan 09

I wasn't. The two teams in that game combined for 1031 yards and 86 points. That's pretty crappy defense, ain't it?
Why are changing the subject and throwing in Tech's stats. The statement was about each team's defenses sepreately.

Only an idiot would say that OU's defense did terrible in that game because Tech's defense did even worse. Compare apples with apples.

Compare OU's defense vs the Ole Miss defense. OU's defense is supposed to be terrible, while the Ole Miss defense is supposed to be very good.

You've said that Big XII defenses suck. I've said that Big XII offenses are good. Now we have evidence to support which side of the argument is correct.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jan 09

Why are changing the subject and throwing in Tech's stats. The statement was about each team's defenses sepreately.

Only an idiot would say that OU's defense did terrible in that game because Tech's defense did even worse. Compare apples with apples.

Compare OU's defense vs the Ole Miss defense. OU's defense is supposed to be terrible, while the Ole ...[text shortened]... fenses are good. Now we have evidence to support which side of the argument is correct.
The statement was made regarding the defenses in the Big 12. As I recall, both teams are in Big 12. Therefore, the statement remains correct.

Who said OU's defense was "terrible"? I'd say it's average at best, but not terrible. To assess the defense you need to look at ALL their games, not just cherry pick games where you feel they played well. The same D that gave up "only" 406 yards to Texas Tech gave up 550 yards to Kansas State. Of course, you want to ignore that performance.

It seems that every offense is good when it plays a Big 12 defense as the 1080 yards and 89 points racked up by Oregon and Ole Miss attest to.

E

Moves
04 Jan 09

Read the quote again if you think the statement was about generic Big XII defenses.

Oh, and you might want to check Alabama's defensive stats against Utah while you are at it. Perhaps this is an omen about tough SEC defenses.

w

Moves
04 Jan 09
2 edits

[b]I (gasp!) agree with whodey.
Don't be so hard on yourself. After all, who can argue with my position? It's like my "Madoff with social security thread". In it, I pointed out that social security is nothing more than a pozi scheme and there was no arguable positions presented. Perhaps I am on a role?

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
04 Jan 09

Originally posted by whodey
Don't be so hard on yourself. After all, who can argue with my position?
Well, I can because you haven't yet seen the BCS title game. Granted, Utah played well against Alabama (although Alabama played without the best Offensive lineman in the country which forced 4 players to play out of position for the game. This is not to make excuses, but you cannot ignore the fact that Utah may not have had as effective a rush if Alabama was playing their normal lineup). Utah had several quality wins this season (BYU, TCU, and one other I believe ...not Michigan, everyone beat them).

Florida beat several higher ranked teams than anyone Utah did, plus they both beat Alabama. No one in the nation played more highly ranked teams than Texas did. Oklahoma also played more higher ranked teams than Utah did, with their only loss coming to Texas.

I do not believe that Utah is the juggernaut you are making them out to be. I do believe that Florida, Oklahoma and Texas are better teams than Alabama is, and I said so prior to the bowl games. I, for one, would like to see the other two bowl games before I annoint a lesser team as National Champion.