1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 09:39
    @fmf said
    If it's somehow morally coherent to you personally, shouldn't you be able to establish its moral coherence to everyone if you believe it should be everybody's single "true north"?
    People suppress the truth, it is easier to live in darkness they can do whatever they
    want they love it that way. Thank you for your opinion.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 10:26
    @kellyjay said
    People suppress the truth, it is easier to live in darkness they can do whatever they
    want they love it that way.
    Although you may sincerely believe that your beliefs pertain to something that creates some sort of jeopardy or dilemma for me, of course they don't, no matter how many times you refer to them as "the truth".

The same goes for my beliefs: they don't create any kind of farfetched jeopardy or dilemma for you.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 10:541 edit
    @kellyjay said
    yes.
    Ok so since becoming a Christian you have adopted a new direction to your moral compass which now permits the atrocity of burning people alive for eternity whereas prior to being a Christian you wouldn’t have permitted it.

And in doing so you have demonstrated the premise in my OP and taken that step along the path to religious extremist thinking.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 11:40
    @fmf said
    Although you may sincerely believe that your beliefs pertain to something that creates some sort of jeopardy or dilemma for me, of course they don't, no matter how many times you refer to them as "the truth".

The same goes for my beliefs: they don't create any kind of farfetched jeopardy or dilemma for you.
    Thank you for your opinion.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 11:42
    @divegeester said
    Ok so since becoming a Christian you have adopted a new direction to your moral compass which now permits the atrocity of burning people alive for eternity whereas prior to being a Christian you wouldn’t have permitted it.

And in doing so you have demonstrated the premise in my OP and taken that step along the path to religious extremist thinking.
    I have maintained God is the judge and righteousness and justice as well as forgiveness comes from Him, not me. You think your way is more righteous than God, take it up with Him.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 12:041 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Thank you for your opinion.
    If you were propagating something less incoherent and less far-fetched, you wouldn't be resorting to this passive-aggressive riff.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 12:07
    @kellyjay said
    I have maintained God is the judge and righteousness and justice as well as forgiveness comes from Him, not me.
    Does your ideology make you feel you don't have a moral compass of your own?
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 16:501 edit
    @fmf said
    Does your ideology make you feel you don't have a moral compass of your own?
    You do not read my posts because I admit mine is as broken as everyone else’s.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 18:421 edit
    @kellyjay said
    I have maintained God is the judge and righteousness and justice as well as forgiveness comes from Him, not me. You think your way is more righteous than God, take it up with Him.
    Nevertheless, your moral compass has moved from indicating to you that burning people alive for not accepting your personal religious beliefs NOT morally right, to accepting that burning people alive for rejecting your religious beliefs IS acceptable.

And so you have confined the premise in my OP.
    What’s next for you I wonder.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 19:39
    @divegeester said
    Nevertheless, your moral compass has moved from indicating to you that burning people alive for not accepting your personal religious beliefs NOT morally right, to accepting that burning people alive for rejecting your religious beliefs IS acceptable.

And so you have confined the premise in my OP.
    What’s next for you I wonder.
    You think you can alter reality by what you like and find acceptable? Do you have the insight into righteousness and evil that God does? Nothing of evil will go forward from this temporary world into the eternal, you will stand before the one who laid down His life for us, His judgment not mine will matter.
  11. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 19:492 edits
    @fmf said
    Our moral codes come from our parents, families, neighbours, workplaces, places of worship, schools and colleges, from our culture, from history and literature, and from the system of laws under which we live.

Our moral compasses synthesize all this and then interact with our personal unique narratives in order to make moral evaluations and decisions about our actions.

If ...[text shortened]... e around them can use their moral compasses to evaluate that person's actions and decide what to do.
    This looks correct to me.

Now, If I can just get my mental compass to synthesize the last 8 months of tactics exercises I completed, I can begin to dig out the sinkhole of mediocrity. 😲
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 20:071 edit
    @kellyjay said
    You think you can alter reality by what you like and find acceptable? Do you have the insight into righteousness and evil that God does? Nothing of evil will go forward from this temporary world into the eternal, you will stand before the one who laid down His life for us, His judgment not mine will matter.
    The OP is about how the adoption of certain religious beliefs can corrupt a person’s moral compass.

Your moral compass has moved from indicating to you that burning people alive for not accepting your personal religious beliefs NOT morally right, to accepting that burning people alive for rejecting your religious beliefs IS acceptable.

And so you have confirmed the premise in my OP.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '22 00:38
    @kellyjay said
    You do not read my posts because I admit mine is as broken as everyone else’s.
    Yes, I know, but do you feel it's not your own?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '22 03:00
    @divegeester said
    The OP is about how the adoption of certain religious beliefs can corrupt a person’s moral compass.

Your moral compass has moved from indicating to you that burning people alive for not accepting your personal religious beliefs NOT morally right, to accepting that burning people alive for rejecting your religious beliefs IS acceptable.

And so you have confirmed the premise in my OP.
    I have never said people will burn alive for anything I believe or said, you should
    at least stick to the things I have said, to do otherwise is well not truthful.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '22 03:45
    @kellyjay said
    I have never said people will burn alive for anything I believe or said, you should
    at least stick to the things I have said, to do otherwise is well not truthful.
    If you are distancing yourself from, or disavowing, the theology of eternal torture in burning flames, then it is to be welcomed: it is a depraved and morally incoherent belief. If your mind has been changed, then good for you.

It's noteworthy, though, that you never once questioned the ideology when sonship [a.k.a. jaywill] trotted it out here for the better part of two decades. Not ONCE did you have sufficient courage-of-your-convictions to debate or discuss it with him here on this debate and discussion forum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree