1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Sep '22 14:36
    @the-gravedigger said
    Good people would do good things and bad people would do bad things. It takes religion to make good people do bad things.
    With what do you use to decide what is good or bad, your feelings?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Sep '22 14:37
    @fmf said
    Jeremiah does not speak for me. I think he is very misanthropic. I am more positive and optimistic about my fellow human beings. "Desperately sick", eh? The Abrahamic religions seem overly misanthropic to me.
    Thank you for your opinion!
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Sep '22 20:291 edit
    @kellyjay said
    With what do you use to decide what is good or bad, your feelings?
    One uses one's conscience, the lessons learned from one's life experiences, lessons drawn from one's human environment, loved ones, teachers, neighbours, religious leaders, relationships with family, friends, authority figures, and a myriad of others, all synthesized by one's moral compass.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Sep '22 20:40
    @kellyjay said
    What would you say a moral compass is supposed to do, point to our desires or
    point to something moral?
    Our moral compasses are what rein us in and prevent us from doing things that are morally unsound that may be motivated by things like "desires" which might negatively impact others.

In cases where our "desires" are morally sound ~ meaning they don't harm, deceive or coerce others, and they exhibit kindness, empathy or compassion ~ then it is our moral compass that makes the analysis and propels the action.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Sep '22 22:45
    @kellyjay said
    A compass is supposed to point in a single direction, if all compasses pointed every
    way without consistency they would not be useful, you may as well use the second
    hand on a watch for directions.

Jeremiah 17:9
    The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?
    Does your moral compass approve of eternal suffering.

Yes or no?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 00:06
    @divegeester said
    Does your moral compass approve of eternal suffering.

Yes or no?
    As God judges, He is the prefect good, if that is how He sees it, yes.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 02:292 edits
    @kellyjay said
    As God judges, He is the prefect good, if that is how He sees it, yes.
    Is your belief ~ that an infinite punishment for a finite "crime" is morally "perfect" ~ part of your personal "true north" when you use your moral compass to evaluate the moral coherence of such a punishment?
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 02:42
    @fmf said
    Is your belief ~ that an infinite punishment for a finite "crime" is morally "perfect" ~ part of your personal "true north" when you use your moral compass to evaluate the moral coherence of such a punishment?
    I believe that God who isn't bound by time sees the ramifications of all things
    and will set right every wrong, either in Christ Jesus or Hell.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 02:42
    @fmf said
    There isn't any such thing as a finite crime against an infinite God.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 02:56
    @kellyjay said
    There isn't any such thing as a finite crime against an infinite God.
    You can assert whatever you want but can you make the assertion morally coherent?

How, for example, is "calling someone a fool" an "infinite crime"?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 02:57
    @kellyjay said
    I believe that God who isn't bound by time sees the ramifications of all things
    and will set right every wrong, either in Christ Jesus or Hell.
    Is this a 'yes' or a 'no'?
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 02:58
    @fmf said
    You can assert whatever you want but can you make the assertion morally coherent?

How, for example, is "calling someone a fool" an "infinite crime"?
    God isn't finite, what crimes you do to an eternal Being who is aware of all things at once isn't forgotten as you forget to take out the trash, it is against the creator of all things, who holds all things together by the power of His Word and crimes in His Kingdom are crimes against Himself.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 02:59
    @fmf said
    Is this a 'yes' or a 'no'?
    I'll repeat myself here.
    "As God judges, He is the prefect good, if that is how He sees it, yes."
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 03:101 edit
    @kellyjay said
    God isn't finite, what crimes you do to an eternal Being who is aware of all things at once isn't forgotten as you forget to take out the trash, it is against the creator of all things, who holds all things together by the power of His Word and crimes in His Kingdom are crimes against Himself.
    But how does this make torturing someone for calling someone else a fool morally coherent?

You assert that "God isn't finite" and you also assert that "calling someone a fool" "isn't forgotten" by God, but these assertions aren't an "argument" and they don't establish any moral coherence underpinning vengeance that is STILL ongoing 30,000,000,000 years later [and then forever after that].

I get that you personally want to factor this belief into what you perceive as "the true north" that applies to every human being, but what you are asserting is completely subjective and more or less arbitrary.

My moral compass tells me that your torturer God ideology is moral nonsense. Do you believe that what my moral compass tells me [i.e. that what you are saying is not credible] is moral nonsense?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '22 03:13
    @kellyjay said
    I'll repeat myself here.
    "As God judges, He is the prefect good, if that is how He sees it, yes."
    If it's somehow morally coherent to you personally, shouldn't you be able to establish its moral coherence to everyone if you believe it should be everybody's single "true north"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree