Why waste the time?

Why waste the time?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
06 May 05

I don't understand why so many intelligent people waste their time arguing with creationists about evolution. They simply aren't worth the effort. Its counterproductive to even give creationists a springboard to vomit forth their antiquated views in. They should simply be ignored. Or publicly ridiculed if they must be addressed at all. People don't spend time trying to have rational debates with flat earth nuts or holocaust deniers. Why, then, should creationists be given serious consideration? Their views are no more worthy of debate than either of the other two groups.

Arguing about the existence of god is a topic worth pursuing because nothing can be proven either way. So there is an endless opportunity for discussion. But evolution is an established fact. There's simply nothing to argue about. It's a done deal. Move on to the next topic. Arguing with creationists is like arguing with someone who still claims that the Sun revolves around the Earth. You simply can't talk sense to someone that out of touch with reality. Spending long hours making reasonable posts explaining evolution to their enfeebled minds is simply a waste of time. Creationists should either be ignored or have scorn heaped upon them. They are not worthy of serious debate.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
06 May 05

Originally posted by rwingett
I don't understand why so many intelligent people waste their time arguing with creationists about evolution. They simply aren't worth the effort. Its counterproductive to even give creationists a springboard to vomit forth their antiquated views in. They should simply be ignored. Or publicly ridiculed if they must be addressed at all. People don't spend ...[text shortened]... should either be ignored or have scorn heaped upon them. They are not worthy of serious debate.
You're the funniest atheist I know. I especially like "Arguing about the existence of god is a topic worth pursuing because nothing can be proven either way. "

Other than that, I have no comment.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
06 May 05

Originally posted by Coletti
Other than that, I have no comment.
Good. Then that will save me the time of heaping scorn upon you.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
06 May 05

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
06 May 05
1 edit

I'm not sure you'd have to anyway. In the Blind Faith thread, Coletti concedes that evolution can yield speciation. (At least, it can when it's convenient to explain how Noah got billions of species on the ark -- he didn't have to; they evolved post-flood.)

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
06 May 05

I will consider myself scorned in principle and in extenso. 🙂

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
06 May 05

I don't understand why so many intelligent people waste their time arguing with creationists about evolution. They simply aren't worth the effort. Its counterproductive to even give creationists a springboard to vomit forth their antiquated views in. They should simply be ignored. Or publicly ridiculed if they must be addressed at all. People don't spend ...[text shortened]... should either be ignored or have scorn heaped upon them. They are not worthy of serious debate.

Have you ever see me waste my time debating creationism ? I don't even waste my time reading about it. It is in fact an American political discussion disguised as a religious or scientific one, depends on how you look at it. Lots of people find it very amusing to dig up dinosaurs and asking other people how they think they fitted in Noah's ark. Other people find it amusing in answering those questions. Well, it keeps them of the streets, I guess.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
06 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by ivanhoe

Lots of people find it very amusing to dig up dinosaurs and asking other people how they think they fitted in Noah's ark.
I happen to be one of these people. How do you reconcile dinosaur bones with the creation account and the flood account?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
06 May 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
I happen to be one of these people. How do you reconcile dinosaur bones with the creation account and the flood account?

I don't have any problems with the theory of evolution. Scientists will work out what the truth is. If people want to discuss dinosaur bones in connection with creation accounts that were not meant to describe historic events but rather theological notions, they can go ahead as far as I am concerned, but I don't find it particularly interesting.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
06 May 05

... Lots of people find it very amusing to dig up dinosaurs and asking other people how they think they fitted in Noah's ark. Other people find it amusing in answering those questions. ....
That's easy. Dino eggs! They don't take up any room at all. 😀

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
06 May 05

I don't have any problems with the theory of evolution. Scientists will work out what the truth is. If people want to discuss dinosaur bones in connection with creation accounts that were not meant to describe historic events but rather theological notions, they can go ahead as far as I am concerned, but I don't find it particularly interesting.
Has the Vatican changed its stance from the 1950 papal encyclical Humani Generis which was quite critical of evolutionary theory? In it, Pope XII wrote:

Some imprudently and indiscreetly hold that evolution, which has not been fully proved even in the domain of natural sciences, explains the origin of all this, and audaciously support the monistic and pantheistic opinion that the world is in continual evolution.

"Monistic" and "pantheistic" are fighting words for doctrinally conservative Catholics, aren't they Ivanhoe?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
06 May 05

Originally posted by Coletti
That's easy. Dino eggs! They don't take up any room at all. 😀
This is a very Mr. Rogers' Land of Make Believe sort of reconciliation.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
06 May 05
2 edits

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
This is a very Mr. Rogers' Land of Make Believe sort of reconciliation.
That is an outrageous insult to the intellectual integrity of Mister Rogers; I do not remember the Land of Make Believe being based on a literal reading of the Bible. I thought Mister Rogers was a godless commie, anyway.

EDIT: "You don't get to pretend to decide what form God takes," Phelps-Roper said. "He's the God who could have stopped the shuttle crash, the nightclub fire, but instead he sent those things. This country has forgotten God and effectively flipped him off, and Fred Rogers is in part responsible."

http://illinimedia.com/di/mar03/mar20/news/stories/campus01.shtml

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
06 May 05

Yep, your post is spot on. I'm pretty sure prn (Paul) recognized this at last, and gave up debating the issue. When confronted with a creationist (or their brethren the "intelligent" design theorists), it is best to walk away.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
06 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by bbarr
When confronted with a creationist (or their brethren the "intelligent" design theorists), it is best to walk away.
This is a very Mister Rogers sort of approach to conflict resolution.