Why this forum?

Why this forum?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santiago

Moves
11 Dec 10

Is it because there are so many right wing God fearing Americans on here?

This is a chess site and has a limited number of forums. Yet the powers that be decree that it is worthy of a forum based on spirituality. To put it in contrast, art, literature, music, computers are all roped into culture.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Dec 10

Originally posted by Hopster

This is a chess site and has a limited number of forums. Yet the powers that be decree that it is worthy of a forum based on spirituality. To put it in contrast, art, literature, music, computers are all roped into culture.

I doubt it.

Spirituality covers a much broader landscape than the other more limited subjects.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Dec 10

Because really obnoxious Christians would bombard the Debates forum with propaganda spam until they were banned from doing so and sent here instead.

rc

Moves
11 Dec 10
1 edit

interesting ive seen spirituality discussed in the science forum, in the general forum, in the chess forum and yes even in the debates forum, in the majority of cases it was the non religious that contributed to the threads. Even within the spirituality forum, there are more Atheists than theists.

Santiago

Moves
11 Dec 10

Is theists a real word?

rc

Moves
11 Dec 10

Is theists a real word?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Theist

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Dec 10

Is theists a real word?
No. There is no God, so how can there be a word for someone who believes there is a God?

How about atheist? How can there be a word for someone who doesn't believe in a God who doesn't exist?

Santiago

Moves
11 Dec 10

It must be a silly new word.

I would equate it to people being well in favour of the word THE.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
11 Dec 10

It must be a silly new word.

I would equate it to people being well in favour of the word THE.
It derives from the Greek 'theos', for god.

e4

Moves
11 Dec 10

Originally posted by josephw
No. There is no God, so how can there be a word for someone who believes there is a God?

How about atheist? How can there be a word for someone who doesn't believe in a God who doesn't exist?
You cannot say there is no God. There might be.
Best to hedge your bets. It will be pretty embarrassing standing
outside the pearly gates with the word ATHIEST stamped on your forehead.

I'm glad God did not create the world in 5 days because then we would
have 73 weeks in a year and that would give us 18 months.
So a year would be 6 months longer and Christmas would then take
6 months longer to come around. That's half a year longer than it is now. 🙁

Mind you we would get all those extra weekends and have a 3 day working week
getting rid of Mondays and Tuesdays the two most boring days of the week.

Also it would have been fun thinking up new names for the extra 6 months.

I'm liking the idea of a 5 day week. When it's my turn to be God (we will
all get a shot at it eventually) I'll do my creation in 5 days.
I won't leave nothing out, I'll just make everything a lot smaller so it
won't take so long.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Dec 10

The spirituality forum was created because a number of posters in the debates forum wanted simply to discuss current politics and felt that there were too many threads entitled 'Does God exist?' Some, such as Dr Scribbles, were opposed to it because they felt that the separation of spirituality was problematic and that many times religious matters could justifiably belong in the debates forum, since they had obvious political implications. I think however that the creation of a separate spirituality forum was very popular.

The more recent creation of the culture forum last year is a different matter though. I originally supported it, feeling that there was not really an appropriate place to discuss aesthetic tastes. I do not think however that the name 'culture' was appropriate and, with the direction it has gone in, it was probably not necessary -- the general forum was sufficient enough.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Dec 10

Originally posted by greenpawn34
You cannot say there is no God. There might be.
Best to hedge your bets. It will be pretty embarrassing standing
outside the pearly gates with the word ATHIEST stamped on your forehead.

I'm glad God did not create the world in 5 days because then we would
have 73 weeks in a year and that would give us 18 months.
So a year would be 6 months longer ...[text shortened]... 't leave nothing out, I'll just make everything a lot smaller so it
won't take so long.
Have you heard the the theory that there used to be 13 months? (13 twenty-eight day months). This fits in perfectly with the 365 days divided by 28. It was related to the female fertility cycle. The ruling male class didn't like it so thay changed it.

Moves
11 Dec 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Have you heard the the theory that there used to be 13 months? (13 twenty-eight day months). This fits in perfectly with the 365 days divided by 28. It was related to the female fertility cycle. The ruling male class didn't like it so thay changed it.
and rightly so!

e4

Moves
11 Dec 10

Recall something about a 13 month year.

Wonder what they call it.

Let's see, we have September, Ocotober, November, December...
How about Chandlber....

Good. Fit me inbetween June and July.

rc

Moves
11 Dec 10
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
all women menstruate exactly every four weeks??