Why Are Things Believed ?

Why Are Things Believed ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
29 Aug 22
1 edit

@fmf said
I put it down to social psychology and anthropology. I think Christian belief in many instances is rooted in misanthropy and narcissism.
I agree. The Christian belief is also rooted in the Hebrew belief, which is rooted in pain, “O woe is us, we are always being tested.” The whole schtick about sin and atonement is absent from both Islam and Buddhism.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
29 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
I am talking about if there is no natural explanation for the universe does this by necessity requires one that transcends nature.
No. You were talking about likes and dislikes, about figuring it out what was correct. Here for the fourth time then, is my question to you.

When you are here mentioning “dislikes” and presumably “likes” are you talking about people using their moral compass in a rational way to make decisions?

When you are here mentioning “correct” and presumably “incorrect” and people “figuring out” isn’t that people also using their moral compass in a rational way to make those decisions?

Über-Nerd

Moves
29 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
If you wish to look at and for reality, it's here; if you only want to make it up as you
go, you can color it any way you like; you will not change reality. It looks obvious
which pill you'd take if offered, the red one or the blue; ignore the truth or move
on and believe whatever you want. That is the truth about hard facts; they remain
the same regardless of how we deal with the gaps.
What reality? What truth? Does it not occur to you that Buddhists and Hindus would say that you're the one who is not looking at the reality, you're the one denying the manifest truth -- namely, there are past lives, and therefore that your Christian belief that people live only once and are then transported to a nether world of eternal pain or eternal pleasure is false.

Appealing to "reality" and "truth" does not get any traction. These beliefs in transcendental things are all based on something else than what you are pleased to think of as truth and reality.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Aug 22

@moonbus said
What reality? What truth? Does it not occur to you that Buddhists and Hindus would say that you're the one who is not looking at the reality, you're the one denying the manifest truth -- namely, there are past lives, and therefore that your Christian belief that people live only once and are then transported to a nether world of eternal pain or eternal pleasure is fals ...[text shortened]... l things are all based on something else than what you are pleased to think of as truth and reality.
I acknowledge that humanity is divided; we hate, steal, murder, rape, abuse, belittle,
and lie to and about one another, including being kind, loving, caring, and so on.
The world isn't divided into good people and bad; the whole has a mix of good and
bad, so obviously we don't agree with one another, what binds us is broken in us.

Do you think it strange that people are divided on the truth, the what, and why
some things are important and others are not? Are we a divided people?

Our disagreements do not dispel the truth of reality from existence; they show that
we are not what we should be in understanding it. Your claim that we are not faced
with eternity; is it just something you want to be so; therefore, it is? Why do you
think that when you don't know how or why we are here and don't care about it
either? It isn't reason, is it, or did you read that somewhere from a trusted source?
Do you want it to be so, therefore you proclaim as so?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
29 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
They can build their views around what they dislike
instead of simply figuring out what is correct.
I’ll try again then…

Above is what you claimed on page three and have been dodging ever since. My question to you for the fifth time is this:

When you are here mentioning “dislikes” and presumably “likes” are you talking about people using their moral compass in a rational way to make decisions?

When you are here mentioning “correct” and presumably “incorrect” and people “figuring out” isn’t that people also using their moral compass in a rational way to make those decisions?

F

Moves
29 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
I acknowledge that humanity is divided; we hate, steal, murder, rape, abuse, belittle,
and lie to and about one another, including being kind, loving, caring, and so on.
The world isn't divided into good people and bad; the whole has a mix of good and
bad, so obviously we don't agree with one another, what binds us is broken in us.
All human beings deserve to be sent to a kind of eternal Auschwitz-Birkenau by Jesus, don't they, according to your worldview, KellyJay? You'll be spared, though, won't you, because you believe in Jesus, right? Now, why do YOU believe that when other people don't?

r

Moves
29 Aug 22

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Aug 22

@divegeester said
I’ll try again then…

Above is what you claimed on page three and have been dodging ever since. My question to you for the fifth time is this:

When you are here mentioning “correct” and presumably “incorrect ...[text shortened]... out” isn’t that people also using their moral compass in a rational way to make those decisions?
If you dislike a proposition and it is true, your attitude toward it isn't going to alter
its truthfulness, regardless of your opinion. If you are using your likes to make
decisions, that isn't using reasoning. That doesn't stop you or anyone from doing it,
but rational decisions are based on logic and reason.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Aug 22

@fmf said
All human beings deserve to be sent to a kind of eternal Auschwitz-Birkenau by Jesus, don't they, according to your worldview, KellyJay? You'll be spared, though, won't you, because you believe in Jesus, right? Now, why do YOU believe that when other people don't?
Why ask me am I the focal point of who goes where? I didn't create the universe,
I'm not the judge of all the earth? Hell is much worse than Auschwitz; there will be
no end, while death allows those in Auschwitz to leave it, for those who can kill the
body can do no more.

F

Moves
29 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
Hell is much worse than Auschwitz; there will be
no end, while death allows those in Auschwitz to leave it, for those who can kill the
body can do no more.
Why do people like you believe this when other people don't?

F

Moves
29 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
Why ask me am I the focal point of who goes where?
Because you are surely personally responsible for your own beliefs, right?

F

Moves
29 Aug 22

@KellyJay
Or do you perhaps think you are not personally responsible for what you believe?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Aug 22
1 edit

@fmf said
Why do people like you believe this when other people don't?
Do you think they should all agree with each other one way or another? Seriously,
what kind of question is that, given your stance on truth and opinions, do you think
those who accept it and those that reject it have opinions? Are all opinions driven
by truth or personal preferences, maybe a mixture of both preferences and what
they think it is true?

People like me, being what?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Aug 22

@fmf said
Because you are surely personally responsible for your own beliefs, right?
I'm responsible for my life, and that doesn't place me above anyone else; I'm still
not the judge of the whole world; I didn't create the world or my own life.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
29 Aug 22
2 edits

@kellyjay said
If you dislike a proposition and it is true, your attitude toward it isn't going to alter
its truthfulness, regardless of your opinion. If you are using your likes to make
decisions, that isn't using reasoning. That doesn't stop you or anyone from doing it,
but rational decisions are based on logic and reason.
Is that yes or no….?

So you were talking about and explaining how people use their moral compasses and rational reasoning to discern what is correct?