Who wrote the Bible?

Who wrote the Bible?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
30 Jun 06

Originally posted by whodey
You then assume that Genesis is therefore in error.
Well, we KNOW genesis is in error when it puts the earth as older than the sun.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
30 Jun 06

Originally posted by MythicalSkippy
:-) Freaky, God has been speaking to humans since the beginning, since before we had a Bible. The FINAL authority on spiritual matters is God. The Bible helps us understand God so we can figure out what His stance is on spiritual matters. As to whether our experiences today are equally valid... you brought a smile to my face! How could they not b ...[text shortened]... relationship with the Divine. If you want to know God, get to know Him. He wants to know you.
How could they not be valid?
I was referring to the authority aspect of validity.

God touches you and me in much the same way He touched Peter or Paul, even Mary.
So, in effect, your words here are just as authoritative as, say, Paul's epistle to the Ephesians, respective of points of doctrine?

If you want to know God, get to know Him. He wants to know you.
Thanks for the invite. I will try to keep my calendar clear.

w

Moves
30 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by MythicalSkippy
As for the differing Gospels... we all see things differently. Matthew wanted to make a different point than Mark did. Actually, Matthew included a large portion of Mark and then added his own material. This doesn't make either of them wrong.

Many people want to make the Bible wrong. It allows them a convenient way to dismiss the truth in it.
esis serves as a way of understanding our relationship to our Creator and to His creation.
I am confused. On the one hand you say the Bible is not wrong, and on the other hand, you say that it has contradictions. How can you have it both ways? What contradictions are you referring to? It has been my experience that seeming contradictions are not actual contradictions at all. Its kinda like saying that I hate something and then later I love something. Then you later state that these statements contradict each other when in all actuality they might both be correct.

w

Moves
30 Jun 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Well, we KNOW genesis is in error when it puts the earth as older than the sun.
I have adressed this issue on the previous thread entitled evolution.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
06 Jul 06

I am confused. On the one hand you say the Bible is not wrong, and on the other hand, you say that it has contradictions. How can you have it both ways? What contradictions are you referring to? It has been my experience that seeming contradictions are not actual contradictions at all. Its kinda like saying that I hate something and then later I love som ...[text shortened]... te that these statements contradict each other when in all actuality they might both be correct.
i agree-i too am confused. 😛

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Jul 06

Originally posted by gharguth
How did the bible come into existance?????
People wrote it, mainly because of the experiences that they had
with God. I believe the book of Esther is the only book of the Bible
that God isn't mentioned, but his poetic justice is all over it, it is one
of my favorite books os scripture.
Kelly

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
09 Jul 06
1 edit

The Bible is a conglomeration of authors that span over thousands of years. It is by far the oldest running religious tradition to date and has influenced all major religions to various degrees in the modern world other than perhaps Far Eastern religions such as Hinduism ect. With this knowledge in mind, there are two possibilities. The stories in the Bibl ...[text shortened]... ntly inspired by God to be collected in one book or it was only man's doing. You be the judge.
That is so not true. Hinduism is 2000 years older than judaism.

The Tao Temple

Moves
11 Jul 06

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
That is so not true. Hinduism is 2000 years older than judaism.
Agreed. Many of the ideas in the bible can be found in earlier tales from other religions. Let's recycle!

Besides - if Judaism sets the age of the world at just a few thousand years then that is admitting it is a "new" religion. Other civilisations are far older than the hypothetical genesis.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
11 Jul 06

Originally posted by Mixo
Agreed. Many of the ideas in the bible can be found in earlier tales from other religions. Let's recycle!

Besides - if Judaism sets the age of the world at just a few thousand years then that is admitting it is a "new" religion. Other civilisations are far older than the hypothetical genesis.
That's what you say, miscreant.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Jul 06

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
That's what you say, miscreant.
Mixocreant.

a

Forgotten

Moves
12 Jul 06

Stephen King wrote The Bible.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
12 Jul 06

I have adressed this issue on the previous thread entitled evolution.
Well it's not an assumption. Stop stating it is.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
12 Jul 06

Originally posted by KellyJay
People wrote it, mainly because of the experiences that they had
with God. I believe the book of Esther is the only book of the Bible
that God isn't mentioned, but his poetic justice is all over it, it is one
of my favorite books os scripture.
Kelly
Well, that's your belief. If God doesn't exist then it remains your belief, but cannot be the true explanation.

Jew.

Moves
12 Jul 06

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
12 Jul 06

Originally posted by 7ate9
check out the thunder 'n' lightning... just coming over wangavegas and heading your way. may be some more flooding on the way!
We got a heap of rain here, and I though I heard some rumbles - gonna get me a beer and enjoy the show!!