What would you accept as evidence of a creator?

What would you accept as evidence of a creator?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
07 Oct 12

Originally posted by sumydid
What would it take for me to believe in the god Thor? Seriously? That's easy. A being matching the exact description of Thor would need to appear before me, wielding his magical hammer, and demonstrate all the powers as described in the Greek texts. If that happened I would believe in the god called Thor.

I guess we're about to find out if that was a leading/trap question.
Yes of course it was a 'leading question', or rather simply a desire to clarify what you were trying to say earlier. Can I now safely conclude that "obviously[you]reveal [your]self as being completely unreasonable, exposing [your] disbelief as a stubborn choice rather than a logical conclusion?"

If it was, don't bother going down that road because I won't respond, as it's an exercise in completely wasteful, hypothetical stuff that neither one of us has any stake or belief in.
I am not surprised that you will not respond given that your erroneous conclusions have been exposed. In this you are not unlike several other theists on this forum whose stock response to being caught out is to refuse to respond. Openness and honesty are a lot rarer amongst theists than atheists in my experience.

Cape Town

Moves
07 Oct 12

Originally posted by sumydid
No one said those exact words, nor do I claim such. The only people willing to give a response, are like those above, saying they can't answer the question. It's only logical to assume they can't answer because they can't think of anything that would satisfy their requirement to believe.
That is false and you know it. Most posters would readily admit that there are things they can think of that would satisfy their requirements. But as I pointed out several times, that is not the question. I think you are being somewhat dishonest by playing with two very distinct questions then trying to pretend that the lack of answers to one is equivalent to a lack of answers to the other. Note that you too totally failed to answer the question with regards to Thor.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Oct 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
That is false and you know it. Most posters would readily admit that there are things they can think of that would satisfy their requirements. But as I pointed out several times, that is not the question. I think you are being somewhat dishonest by playing with two very distinct questions then trying to pretend that the lack of answers to one is equivalen ...[text shortened]... wers to the other. Note that you too totally failed to answer the question with regards to Thor.
There is no Thor. So the question in regard to Thor is ridiculous and unimportant. 😏

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
07 Oct 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
There is no Thor. So the question in regard to Thor is ridiculous and unimportant. 😏
Hmm I see. But which chess engine are you using now?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Oct 12

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Hmm I see. But which chess engine are you using now?
But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

(2 Timothy 3:1-5 NKJV)

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
07 Oct 12
1 edit

But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, [b]slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God ...[text shortened]... m of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

(2 Timothy 3:1-5 NKJV)[/b]
It would be slanderous to accuse you of engine use had your cheating not already been demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt. Now you are actually slandering me by implying that I am slandering you. So which engine is it?

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
07 Oct 12

But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, [b]slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God ...[text shortened]... m of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

(2 Timothy 3:1-5 NKJV)[/b]
I love the idea that one of the people who wrote the bible was called Timothy, was He taking dictation from His mum?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by kevcvs57
I love the idea that one of the people who wrote the bible was called Timothy, was He taking dictation from His mum?
This was one of the Apostle Paul's letters to Timothy. Timothy did not write it. 😏

Cape Town

Moves
07 Oct 12

So sumydid would conclude that your disbelief is a direct result of stubborn choice, not logical deduction.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Oct 12

It would be slanderous to accuse you of engine use had your cheating not already been demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt. Now you are actually slandering me by implying that I am slandering you. So which engine is it?
Ohh, I did not realize that it had been demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt. So that changes you from a slanderous accuser to a wonderful fellow. How dumb of me not to realize that. 😲

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Oct 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
So sumydid would conclude that your disbelief is a direct result of stubborn choice, not logical deduction.
He would be right again. It is my stubborn choice, for I did not bother to use logical deduction on such a ridiculous situation. 😏

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
07 Oct 12

Ohh, I did not realize that it had been demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt. So that changes you from a slanderous accuser to a wonderful fellow. How dumb of me not to realize that. 😲
Oh what a short memory you have.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Oct 12

Oh what a short memory you have.
It must be my old age again. 😏

Moves
07 Oct 12

It must be my old age again. 😏
do you relish getting older? do you look forward to death so you can meet the love of your life?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
07 Oct 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
do you relish getting older? do you look forward to death so you can meet the love of your life?
He's probably a long way from a natural death - my estimate is that RJHinds is no older than 14