What we believe in...

What we believe in...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
17 Jan 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
where has it changed, you have not said?
It is no longer permitted. Unless you are claiming it is.

F

Moves
17 Jan 13

Let me know when you actually produce something, ill be around.
I have produced the example of slavery; once permitted, no longer permitted.

rc

Moves
17 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
It is no longer permitted. Unless you are claiming it is.
I haven't claimed anything, its you who have stated that it has changed, although as yet, despite being asked countless times, you seem devoid and empty a desert region of tundra. Now if you can provide some type of evidence to substantiate your claims, then please do so, until you do, i will waste no more time with you, sorry, time is rather of the essence.

rc

Moves
17 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
I have produced the example of slavery; once permitted, no longer permitted.
where is it stated that its no longer permitted?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Jan 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
So, although it was once permitted, it is no longer permitted, right? This is "change".
So, although it was once permitted, it is no longer permitted, right? This is "change".

I don't see this as the law of Moses changing.
I don't see this as God changing His mind about something in the way you may imply.

The law of Moses still said the same things.
The New Testament still said the same things.

F

Moves
17 Jan 13

I haven't claimed anything, its you who have stated that it has changed, although as yet, despite being asked countless times, you seem devoid and empty a desert region of tundra. Now if you can provide some type of evidence to substantiate your claims, then please do so, until you do, i will waste no more time with you, sorry, time is rather of the essence.
I have stated that it has changed because slavery was once permitted and it no longer is. It's an example the "change" that I have been discussing.

F

Moves
17 Jan 13

Originally posted by sonship

I don't see this as the law of Moses changing.
I don't see this as God changing His mind about something in the way you may imply.

The law of Moses still said the same things.
The New Testament still said the same things.
The "instructions" with regard to slavery have changed, clearly. Unless you are claiming that slavery - as portrayed in the OT - is still permitted.

F

Moves
17 Jan 13

where is it stated that its no longer permitted?
Are you saying that slavery is still permitted? I have never heard of any Christians condemning the fact that it is illegal almost everywhere in the world. If you believe it is still permitted, why not just say so.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Jan 13

The New Testament still teaches a man what he should do IF he becomes a Christian and FINDS HIMSELF in the situation of slavery.

Men's consciences can become more sensative. And in that regard society can change and has.

The New Testament STILL contains some direction accounting for the presence or the absence of the institution of slavery.

The New Testament still instructs the believer to have a outlook and attitude should he find himself becoming a Christian while the situation of slavery.

F

Moves
17 Jan 13

The New Testament still teaches a man what he should do IF he becomes a Christian and FINDS HIMSELF in the situation of slavery.

Men's consciences can become more sensative. And in that regard society can change and has.

The New Testament STILL contains some direction accounting for the presence or the absence of the institution of slavery.

The ...[text shortened]... utlook and attitude should he find himself becoming a Christian while the situation of slavery.
Are you saying that slavery is still permitted?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Jan 13
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
The "instructions" with regard to slavery have changed, clearly. Unless you are claiming that slavery - as portrayed in the OT - is still permitted.

In the last 2,000 years what the Bible said about the subject of slavery is NOW what it said about the subject THEN.

Societies change because people's consciences sometimes change. Gladitorial entertainments changed because people's consciences changed.

Child labor changed because people's consciences about it changed.

Leaving children out to die changed because of change in people's consciences.

Sometimes for the better society changes.
Sometimes for the worse society changes.

The Atlantic Slave Trade was not like the slavery which most of the Old Testament and New Testament spoke of.
That is another discusssion which the fair minded person should want to examine.

But generally, Slavery is viewed differently by many societies today under a different feeling in the conscience. We can thank God for that. At least to a big degree we can.

The Bible didn't change. God's will may have won over more people.
And the winning over of more people caused a change in society.
I think that that is different from saying - "God permitted slavery then and then changed and no longer permitted it."

It is not as simplistic as that. And if this is too long a post, it really has left a lot unsaid which could be said to analyze the whole issue.

F

Moves
17 Jan 13

The Bible didn't change. God's will may have won over more people.
And the winning over of more people caused a change in society.
I think that that is different from saying - God permitted slavery then and then changed and no longer permitted it.
Does He still permit it?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Jan 13
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Does He still permit it?
Does He still permit it?

If you mean that is it possible that somewhere in the world we may find that a slave of some kind exists, yes.

One could unfortunately still find slavery being practiced.
One could also still find rape, murder, leaving children to die, divorce.

Is God "permitting" this slavery ? Yes in some sense.
Is God endorsing, encouraging, pleased with this slavery ?

What do you think?
Bible hasn't changed. Kidnapping is still considered a sin.
I don't see why kidnapping to make a slave God should be happy with then or now.

Do you think the instance of finding slavery practiced somewhere in 2013 proves that God "permits" slavery as an expression of His perfect will ?

F

Moves
17 Jan 13
1 edit

Do you think the instance of finding slavery practiced somewhere in 2013 proves that God "permits" slavery as an expression of His perfect will ?
No. Personally, I don't think that slavery being permitted in OT times has anything whatsoever to do with "God". I think it was a man made code. It was the way things were, and the literature of that time reflects it. Just as it is the widespread existence of different man made codes that means slavery is no longer permitted in almost every place on earth nowadays and is not advocated by Christians.

Your attempts to explain and justify the OT condoning/permitting/endorsing slavery in the context of them being "God's instructions" are actually very interesting to read and no one on this site has come anywhere doing it with the same degree of nuance that you have, at least not in the 7 years I have been here.

But to try to frame the move from slavery-permitted to slavery-not-permitted as an example of something NOT CHANGING - as robbie is doing [in defence of galveston75's nonsensical assertion] does not withstand scrutiny, hence all his defensive personal remarks aimed at me and his refusal to address points raised.

rc

Moves
17 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
No. Personally, I don't think that slavery being permitted in OT times has anything whatsoever to do with "God". I think it was a man made code. It was the way things were, and the literature of that time reflects it. Just as it is the widespread existence of different man made codes that means slavery is no longer permitted in almost every place on earth nowada ...[text shortened]... all his defensive personal remarks aimed at me and his refusal to address points raised.
EVIDENCE NIL! no not a shred, same old self certified opinions.