What is the point of religion?

What is the point of religion?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
106d
1 edit

Serious question, and her are two options for us to consider. There may be others of course.

1) it’s about what you believe in your “heart” (sic) (mind)

2) it’s about how your beliefs impact your behaviour

Über-Nerd

Moves
106d
1 edit

@divegeester said
Serious question, and her are two options for us to consider. There may be others of course.

1) it’s about what you believe in your “heart” (sic) (mind)

2) it’s about how your beliefs impact your behaviour
3) It's not about belief. It's about coping with eschatological issues, practically.

Only someone who worships words would think religion is about beliefs.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
106d

4. Religion is the opium of the masses (acts like a narcotic, easing the pain of the poor and oppressed in a "heartless world." ) - Karl Marx

Über-Nerd

Moves
106d
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
4. Religion is the opium of the masses (acts like a narcotic, easing the pain of the poor and oppressed in a "heartless world." ) - Karl Marx
I think maybe we should distinguish "bad religion" from "religion when it is doing what it ought to be doing." Bad religion is a placebo for shell-shock victims of a "heartless" world they don't understand; religion when it is doing what it ought to be doing helps people cope with such a world. Some people, anyway. Others manage to cope without it.

IP

Moves
106d

5. Social cohesion. If as you grow up everyone around you is a Christian (for example) you'll likely be one yourself; the herd instinct is a strong one. This only works, mind you, on a 'micro - level', where religious beliefs are contained within a society in isolation, as was largely once the case. Once one religious belief encounters another, social disintegration tends to be the order of the day...

F

Moves
106d

@moonbus said
It's not about belief. It's about coping with eschatological issues, practically.
It is about beliefs in so far as holding them helps someone to cope with eschatological issues.

Über-Nerd

Moves
106d

@fmf said
It is about beliefs in so far as holding them helps someone to cope with eschatological issues.
The belief is incidental, the coping is primary.

F

Moves
106d

@moonbus said
The belief is incidental, the coping is primary.
The belief is instrumental in the coping.

F

Moves
106d

@moonbus said
Only someone who worships words would think religion is about beliefs.
Religion is about the beliefs upon which aspirations are founded.

Über-Nerd

Moves
106d

@fmf said
The belief is instrumental in the coping.
No, it’s the social aspect (indoctrination, conditioning) which is instrumental. In Greek pagan and native Celtic religions of pre-Christian Europe, and Aruba (Africa), for example, there were no beliefs/doctrines or sacred writings involved, just communal rituals. It didn’t matter what people believed, or even if they believed nothing, so long as they engaged in the rituals. The religions of the book are peculiar in this regard.

Über-Nerd

Moves
106d
3 edits

@fmf said
Religion is about the beliefs upon which aspirations are founded.
Only in the religions of the book and even then only for those who worship words. Not in every religion. This can be seen by distinguishing heresy from blasphemy. Blasphemy is doing something at odds with the will of God or the gods; heresy is believing something at odds with Church doctrine. Pagans knew what blasphemy was (doing something wrong); only Christians have a concept of heresy (believing something wrong).

Dive's question is "what is the point of religion?" not "what is the point of Christianity?" At the risk of propagating a "grandiose generality" I'm sticking to my statement that it's not about belief (which is peculiar to Christianity), it's about coping (with or without belief) with eschatological issues.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
105d

@moonbus said
I think maybe we should distinguish "bad religion" from "religion when it is doing what it ought to be doing." Bad religion is a placebo for shell-shock victims of a "heartless" world they don't understand; religion when it is doing what it ought to be doing helps people cope with such a world. Some people, anyway. Others manage to cope without it.
'Good religion' or 'bad religion,' both still function as a drug to lessen the impact of a harsh world by offering up imaginary deities.

F

Moves
105d
1 edit

@moonbus said
No, it’s the social aspect (indoctrination, conditioning) which is instrumental. In Greek pagan and native Celtic religions of pre-Christian Europe, and Aruba (Africa), for example, there were no beliefs/doctrines or sacred writings involved, just communal rituals. It didn’t matter what people believed, or even if they believed nothing, so long as they engaged in the rituals. The religions of the book are peculiar in this regard.
I have been talking about the Abrahamic religions. In Christianity for example the belief that Jesus conquered death and the belief that everlasting life awaits - in return for belief - is "the point" of the religion - and those beliefs are axiomatic and instrumental in the psychological mechanism for coping that is provided.

F

Moves
105d

@moonbus said
Only in the religions of the book and even then only for those who worship words. Not in every religion. This can be seen by distinguishing heresy from blasphemy. Blasphemy is doing something at odds with the will of God or the gods; heresy is believing something at odds with Church doctrine. Pagans knew what blasphemy was (doing something wrong); only Christians have a conce ...[text shortened]... is peculiar to Christianity), it's about coping (with or without belief) with eschatological issues.
Not in every religion.

I haven't been talking about "every religion". I have been talking about divegeester's religion.

F

Moves
105d
1 edit

@moonbus said
At the risk of propagating a "grandiose generality" I'm sticking to my statement that it's not about belief (which is peculiar to Christianity), it's about coping (with or without belief) with eschatological issues.
Perhaps someone who is interested in this will come along and take you up on it.