what is Holy Ghost?

what is Holy Ghost?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
02 Feb 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
To me, there seems to be zero difference between speaking of it as "Holy Ghost" or "Holy Spirit". To me, and to most Christians, the terms are interchangeable.
There's a glaring reason why the likes of galveston75 would not accept the three words "the Holy Ghost" as it clearly alludes to something different from just plain old small case "holy spirit". So it's not semantics.

F

Moves
02 Feb 18

The point you ARE missing is that galveston is leaving out the definite article "the", which his Bible, the unbiblical "New World Translation" (the translation the Jehovah's Witnesses paid for in order to present their already-developed dogma as somehow "legitimate" ) leaves off the definite article, just exactly like they insert the indefinite article "a" into John 1:1.
Forgive the ad hominem here [from wiki], but it's interesting:

Former high-ranking Watch Tower staff have identified various members of the translation team. Former governing body member Raymond Franz listed Nathan H. Knorr, Fredrick W. Franz, Albert D. Schroeder, George D. Gangas, and Milton G. Henschel as members of the translation team, adding that only Frederick Franz had sufficient knowledge in biblical languages. Referring to the identified members, evangelical minister Walter Ralston Martin said, "The New World Bible translation committee had no known translators with recognized degrees in Greek or Hebrew exegesis or translation... None of these men had any university education except Franz, who left school after two years, never completing even an undergraduate degree."

It was after I posted this quote a couple of years ago, if memory serves, that robbie carrobie started insinuating I was a paedophile.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Feb 18

Originally posted by @fmf
There's a glaring reason why the likes of galveston75 would not accept the three words "the Holy Ghost" as it clearly alludes to something different from just plain old small case "holy spirit". So it's not semantics.
Well, yes, it sort of is. Whether to use Ghost or Spirit IS just semantics. In my opinion, of course.

The added wrinkle, of course, is that galveston does not believe in the Trinity, per se, and so this is why he refuses any capitalization, which suggests that this is a part of the Godhead.

F

Moves
02 Feb 18

Well, yes, it sort of is. Whether to use Ghost or Spirit IS just semantics. In my opinion, of course.

The added wrinkle, of course, is that galveston does not believe in the Trinity, per se, and so this is why he refuses any capitalization, which suggests that this is a part of the Godhead.
This all seems lost on Jacob-Verville for some reason.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Feb 18

Forgive the ad hominem here [from wiki], but it's interesting:

[b]Former high-ranking Watch Tower staff have identified various members of the translation team. Former governing body member Raymond Franz listed Nathan H. Knorr, Fredrick W. Franz, Albert D. Schroeder, George D. Gangas, and Milton G. Henschel as members of the translation team, adding that onl ...[text shortened]... ple of years ago, if memory serves, that robbie carrobie started insinuating I was a paedophile.
Yes, I am aware of this quote.

This is yet another reason why I continue to claim that the NWT was simply "farmed out" to the lowest bidder, and they somehow miraculously came up with a translation which coincides exactly with already-existing JW dogma.

I know robbie is not here to defend himself, and I'd say this to his face, but he's not exactly the most honest person I've ever met. In fact, his personality is one of the most self-aggrandizing I've ever come into contact with. robbie just didn't like you, or me for that matter, and I do not like you either, but I agree that the pedophile insinuation was going too far, even for him.

F

Moves
02 Feb 18
1 edit

I know robbie is not here to defend himself, and I'd say this to his face, but he's not exactly the most honest person I've ever met. In fact, his personality is one of the most self-aggrandizing I've ever come into contact with. robbie just didn't like you, or me for that matter, and I do not like you either, but I agree that the pedophile insinuation was going too far, even for him.
It's interesting that you say this now when he is not here to defend himself and yet you said nothing at the time when it was going on. 😉

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Feb 18

It's interesting that you say this now when he is not here to defend himself and yet you said nothing at the time when it was going on. 😉
You hypocritical SoB.

I said nothing for exactly the same reason why you never once enlightened Jacob when it was abundantly clear to me that you two were arguing two completely different points. You made no move to explain this difference in your points, you just kept prodding him.

As I said, I said nothing then for the same reason you said nothing to Jacob now. I was enjoying the show. The difference is that I was not part of the conversation then, unlike you now.

F

Moves
02 Feb 18
3 edits

... you never once enlightened Jacob when it was abundantly clear to me that you two were arguing two completely different points. You made no move to explain this difference in your points, you just kept prodding him.
The point I was making to galveston75 is not obscure or difficult to understand. Jacob-Verville, if you read carefully, has conceded that he was being oafish in order to make some sort of personal 'point'. Read it. Besides, the observations that I put to galveston75 were explained fully at the bottom of page 5 and yet Jacob-Verville, bless him, ignored it and persisted.

F

Moves
02 Feb 18

As I said, I said nothing then for the same reason you said nothing to Jacob now. I was enjoying the show. The difference is that I was not part of the conversation then, unlike you now.
You "enjoyed the show" wherein robbie was insinuating that I am a paedophile?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Feb 18

You "enjoyed the show" wherein robbie was insinuating that I am a paedophile?
Keep twisting. Look, I understand that your main reason for continuing to post on this forum when you hate Christians so much is to try to use every 'forum combat' method you've collected and honed over the years to make us look like fools.

You know as well as I do that you usually engaged robbie for pages and pages of the most boring drivel I've ever read. Once in a long while it was entertaining. The pedophile thread was not one of those times.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Feb 18

The point I was making to galveston75 is not obscure or difficult to understand. Jacob-Verville, if you read carefully, has conceded that he was being oafish in order to make some sort of personal 'point'. Read it. Besides, the observations that I put to galveston75 were explained fully at the bottom of page 5 and yet Jacob-Verville, bless him, ignored it and persisted.
I am finding Jacob's posting to often be 'oafish'.

He still missed your point and what you were trying to say. And of, course, you didn't even attempt to clear that up for him. If anything, you just got more obscure, just to see him continue to thrash about.

F

Moves
02 Feb 18

He still missed your point and what you were trying to say. And of, course, you didn't even attempt to clear that up for him. If anything, you just got more obscure, just to see him continue to thrash about.
Oh yes, I did. You're making it up. I didn't indulge his undisguised and deliberate oafishness, and yet I explained the issue I have with galveston75 in a crystal clear way at the bottom of page 5.

F

Moves
02 Feb 18
1 edit

... you hate Christians so much is to try to use every 'forum combat' method you've collected and honed over the years to make us look like fools.
I live among Christians, always have, always will. Most of the people I love are Christians. Where did you feel like you'd made a fool of yourself? Maybe there's a misunderstanding that can be cleared up. Were you yourself in 'forum combat' mode when it happened? This is a debate and discussion forum, and it's not for Christians only. It's a pity if you don't like my contributions because I contribute a lot.

F

Moves
02 Feb 18

You know as well as I do that you usually engaged robbie for pages and pages of the most boring drivel I've ever read. Once in a long while it was entertaining. The pedophile thread was not one of those times.
But hang on. You've just said that you said nothing when robbie was calling me a paedophile "for the same reason" I was supposedly saying "nothing" to Jacob on this thread and that you were "enjoying the show". Now, on the same page, you seem to be saying something different. Which is it to be?

S. Korea

Moves
02 Feb 18

Hey thanks Suzianne for the explanation.

I thought, though, that there might be some dispute about the translation of Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit.

I knew the article point instantly.

I just wondered if there was substance to the Ghost/Spirit question.