1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 19:34
    @hakima

What I said is in the Bible, I did not make it up. Perhaps there are parts of the Bible you just do not read.
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 19:42
    @Eladar

Perhaps I think it’s irrelevant to what I said above...

Again, your coin, not mine.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 19:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 19:58
    @moonbus said
    You're barking up the wrong tree. Jesus did not tell his disciples to compile "a list of minimum core beliefs." This is not merely what I personally think; that's what it is.
    How do you know what Jesus said to his disciples?
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 20:38
    @divegeester said
    How do you know what Jesus said to his disciples?
    There's no point in my telling you. You'll dismiss it as "just my opinion."
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 21:53
    @moonbus said
    You're barking up the wrong tree. Jesus did not tell his disciples to compile "a list of minimum core beliefs." This is not merely what I personally think; that's what it is.
    I am not asking "Jesus". I am asking you.

Do you believe there are NO core beliefs shared by all people who can - in your view - legitimately call themselves "Christian"?

Or do you accept anyone's self-identification as a Christian if they claim to be one, regardless of what their beliefs are?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 22:071 edit
    @moonbus said
    There's no point in my telling you. You'll dismiss it as "just my opinion."
    Don’t run away... you are the one making these assertions, how do you know?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 22:09
    @moonbus said
    Given that some denominations deny the divinity of Jesus and still call themselves Christians, whereas others claim that after Jesus died on Calvary he went to America and preached to the 13th tribe, I doubt you will hit upon one single, simple, definition which captures the entire spectrum and to which all people who call themselves Christians would agree.
    So, it would seem that you DO support the "cafeteria" view of Christianity that you mentioned earlier on this thread.

You said: "Christianity (with a capital "C" ) is not a cafeteria where people can pick and choose the dishes they like and ignore the rest."

In your metaphor, which "dishes" [core beliefs] must "a Christian" not ignore?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '20 07:19
    Is there anyone else who believes, as I do, that there are certain core beliefs shared by ALL people who can legitimately call themselves "Christian"?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '20 07:57
    @fmf said
    Is there anyone else who believes, as I do, that there are certain core beliefs shared by ALL people who can legitimately call themselves "Christian"?
    Without meaning to appear pedantic, can you clarify what you mean as “legitimate” in this context?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '20 08:27
    @divegeester said
    Without meaning to appear pedantic, can you clarify what you mean as “legitimate” in this context?
    Legitimate in a subjective way. I have been sharing my personal perspective. People who think Jesus was a man, not a divine being, and that he didn't rise from the dead, for example, may well self- identify as "Christian" - and they are entirely free to do so - but not legitimately so in my personal opinion. That, and the other things I mentioned, comprise my subjective litmus test for the world's 2.2 billion self-identifying Christians and their 40,000+ denominations.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Apr '20 08:58
    @fmf said
    So, it would seem that you DO support the "cafeteria" view of Christianity that you mentioned earlier on this thread.

You said: "Christianity (with a capital "C" ) is not a cafeteria where people can pick and choose the dishes they like and ignore the rest."

In your metaphor, which "dishes" [core beliefs] must "a Christian" not ignore?
    It's not about belief.

"What is a Christian?" That is your thread title.

Answer: A Christian is one who has undergone a change of heart, as exemplified by Jesus (for example in the Sermon on the Mount). A Christian is one who, for example, not only does not screw his neighbor's' wife (commit adultery), but does not desire do so (commit adultery in his heart). A Christian is one who not only does not kill his neighbor, but also harbors him no ill will or anger. A Christian is one who, when smitten, turns the other cheek. A Christian is one who shows compassion to those less fortunate than himself (the downtrodden and the poor in spirit), who forgives those who abuse and revile him, who loves even his enemies. And so on.

Let us consider Eladar, for example. He can quote chapter and verse, and self-identifies as a Christian. But whenever anyone smites him, does he turn the other cheek? No. He smites back. He has asserted in other threads that he thinks it would be fine for the elderly and the immune-weakened to be killed off by the current pandemic; why waste resources on them, they are going to die anyway, that's his attitude. He has zero compassion for the downtrodden and the disadvantaged. "Blessed are the meek" has made no impression on him at all. He spews his vitriol and bitterness and petty vindictiveness all over the forums. It would be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for such as Eladar to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, for such as Eladar have no compassion, although they BELIEVE that Jesus was God, that Jesus died to atone for man's sins, and all the rest of it.

Jesus did not teach his disciples to entertain a list of beliefs, but to have a change of heart.

Happy Easter.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '20 09:43
    @moonbus said
    It's not about belief.
    Yes it is, in my view, including the fifth one I listed, which pertains to the stuff you have typed.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '20 09:48
    @moonbus said
    Jesus did not teach his disciples to entertain a list of beliefs, but to have a change of heart.
    The heart is an organ that pumps blood. The metaphor of "the heart" in contexts like this pertains to the intensity and certainty of beliefs and ideas which have a definitive bearing on the way one believes one should live a Christian life. There's nothing wrong with lists. The Sermon on the Mount was for the most part a list.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '20 09:54
    @moonbus said
    Let us consider Eladar, for example.
    Eladar doesn't believe No.5 so he's ruled out anyway.

And besides, he's rejected the stuff about Jesus in the OP as being "meaningless" and "fluff".

I don't give two hoots if he claims to be a "Christian". Anyone can claim to be a Christian.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree