What I envy about theists

What I envy about theists

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
04 Oct 14
1 edit

I don't believe in "God" and most likely never will, but I regret that presumably one of the best ways to meet new people, get involved in my community - and essentially stop being such a damned stranger every time I change address, the opportunity to attend a church, is off limits.

I suppose there is nothing to stop me from lying, and pretending to be just as devout as everyone else, giving it my all when it comes to the singing hymns part of the ceremony (or whatever happens in a church), and what not ..., but it seems like a lot of mental juggling and hassle to keep it up without tripping up at some point.
There is also I suppose the prospect of attending one of these so-called atheist churches that are sprouting up here and there. But these things just seem like a fad that will die away in a few years and at any rate there are none that are local.

I do actually think that atheists, especially the less socially empowered amongst us, are missing out a little - ah well!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
04 Oct 14

Originally posted by Agerg
I don't believe in "God" and most likely never will, but I regret that presumably one of the best ways to meet new people, get involved in my community - and essentially stop being such a damned stranger every time I change address, the opportunity to attend a church, is off limits.

I suppose there is nothing to stop me from lying, and pretending to be just ...[text shortened]... atheists, especially the less socially empowered amongst us, are missing out a little - ah well!
Why do you think attending church is off limits? You wouldn't have to
lie, any church worth anything would welcome you in, you'd just not be
able to be a member which I'd doubt you want to be anyway while you
were an atheist.
Kelly

r
Suzzie says Badger

is Racist Bastard

Moves
04 Oct 14

I suppose there is nothing to stop me from lying, and pretending to be just ...[text shortened]... atheists, especially the less socially empowered amongst us, are missing out a little - ah well!
start your own church, the church of the non exiting god,I am a member in waiting.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Oct 14

There are plenty of other opportunities. I don't drink, but many people I know, socialize by going to bars or pubs. I have heard that the UK has much more social pubs than the US.
There are also various sports related clubs - I am a member of a figure skating club. You could join a local chess club. Or join a golf club. Here in SA, there is a tradition of having a braai on weekends. I have not participated in many, personally but the opportunity is there if I was interested.
Then there is Rotary International and other philanthropic organizations.
I guess it all has to do with what sort of people you wish to meet. At University, many people were members of the local Christian groups in the belief that they would meet nice Christian people there. In reality the Christians were not necessarily nicer than everyone else - and you would be less likely to know their true personality as they all put on a front when they went to Church.

Moves
04 Oct 14

If you are in a big enough community you might find a Unitarian Universalist church. When I Google search on the term Unitarian Universalist, I find 7 in my area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 Oct 14

You could start an atheist club, meetings at a local pub or your place.....

Moves
04 Oct 14

Take a look at

http://www.atheistnexus.org/events

where you can select from monthly (3)*
meeting (2)
conference (2)
convention (2)
film (1)

and see what's going on in different places. Unlikely to find places nearby, but some of the different ways people get together under different auspices could be of interest.

*Don't know what the numbers are about. there are a lot more events.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
04 Oct 14
1 edit

"I suppose there is nothing to stop me from lying, and pretending to be just as devout as everyone else,.."

Not necessary. Just come as you are. The last thing Christians want amongst them are liars. It's not a sin to say you don't believe in God.

But be careful. There are hypocrites everywhere! Be real.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
04 Oct 14
1 edit

The Pope says atheists can go to Heaven. I bet they can go to Church too.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
04 Oct 14

I'm an atheist but my wife was raised a Lutheran. We've found nice, accepting churches here in Seattle that are committed to equality and social justice without emphasizing blood, sin, hell, magic, etc.

F

Moves
04 Oct 14

Originally posted by josephw
It's not a sin to say you don't believe in God.
Is this a common belief among Christians?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
04 Oct 14

Sometimes it's better to be a loner.

I reckon the group you join should do something you like (eg. croquet ) . Don't just goto church just cause there are people there.

In my area I find it better just to visit one or two cool people, who may have friends over, than going to a pub.

F

Moves
04 Oct 14

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Sometimes it's better to be a loner.

I reckon the group you join should do something you like (eg. croquet ) . Don't just goto church just cause there are people there.

In my area I find it better just to visit one or two cool people, who may have friends over, than going to a pub.
I think that the more acquaintances you have ~ where the commonality is the nature of the religious group you have inserted yourself into ~ and the shallower the connection therefore (understandably) is, then the more significant [and perhaps talked about] the supposedly common belief will be, and therefore the more likely it will be that the 'charlatan' aspect of your socializing is going to be dissatisfactory, or even troubling and most likely unsustainable.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
05 Oct 14

There are some Christians who are so only in name in the sense that they do not live the Christian lifestyle as laid out by Christ and the Apostles. There are some atheists who live more like Christ than Christians themselves. I would guess that a good atheist is better than a crooked Christian:

For if after they [Christians] have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. (2 Peter 2:20-21 KJV)

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Oct 14
1 edit

Originally posted by bbarr
I'm an atheist but my wife was raised a Lutheran. We've found nice, accepting churches here in Seattle that are committed to equality and social justice without emphasizing blood, sin, hell, magic, etc.