What do atheists...

What do atheists...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 Nov 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
no that is not strictly true, the difference lies in that the naturalist feels that the only
reality is derived from an observation of the natural world, which we have determined
is limiting, the theist on the other hand realises that this is all good and well, on an
immediate level, but that ultimately that God is necessary to explain a unified view of
the universe.
Your unified view of the universe can be summed up as this -

'Do we know the answer to this question?'

'No, it appears we don't have that knowledge yet, i'm going to keep an open mind though'

'I see, well i'm going to believe in this so i have an answer to that question'.

'Okay, but what about all that stuff over there which contradicts what you want to believe?'

'Ermmmm..............i'll pretend it doesn't exist so i don't have to deal with that problem.'

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Nov 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Your unified view of the universe can be summed up as this -

'Do we know the answer to this question?'

'No, it appears we don't have that knowledge yet, i'm going to keep an open mind though'

'I see, well i'm going to believe in this so i have an answer to that question'.

'Okay, but what about all that stuff over there which contradicts what ...[text shortened]... .......i'll pretend it doesn't exist so i don't have to deal with that problem.'
Amnesia is the cure for everything that robbie does not want to think about.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Nov 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Amnesia is the cure for everything that robbie does not want to think about.
So Robbie has that problem of selective amnesia but YOU are entirely open to discuss stuff like evolution and creationism and talk rationally about the age of the Earth.....

k

Moves
28 Nov 12

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
This forum is like a window into the inner workings of the mind of fundy isolationist Christians. It's like reading a newspaper written only by brain washed retards. One must know their enemy afterall and who is the enemy of the athiest if not Christians.

I know this is hard to believe, but, outside of Christianity, many other religions are act ...[text shortened]... re wrong" approach you'll finding coming from many of the Christian faction in this forum.
This forum is like a window into the inner workings of the mind of fundy isolationist Christians. It's like reading a newspaper written only by brain washed retards. One must know their enemy afterall and who is the enemy of the athiest if not Christians.

Maybe oneself is sometimes an enemy.

I know this is hard to believe, but, outside of Christianity, many other religions are actually tolerant of others and want to share their thoughts, feelings and beliefs in an open and enlightening fashion. This makes a refreshing change to "we're right, you're wrong" approach you'll finding coming from many of the Christian faction in this forum.[/

Are you tolerant of others beliefs where they differ from your own?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Nov 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
So Robbie has that problem of selective amnesia but YOU are entirely open to discuss stuff like evolution and creationism and talk rationally about the age of the Earth.....
Sure. I have openly discussed those topics many times. 😏

k

Moves
11 Dec 12

Are atheists open to the possibility that the views they hold are wrong? Would atheists be open to information that might change their view?

Moves
11 Dec 12

Originally posted by kd2acz
Are atheists open to the possibility that the views they hold are wrong? Would atheists be open to information that might change their view?
i would assume all atheists are open to the possibility that they are wrong. atheist base their views on evidence. if evidence was found that we were created by giant purple space fairies then atheist would start exploring that evidence, and not bury their head in the sand because it contradicts what we think we already know.

Moves
11 Dec 12

That depends on the atheist.

As there is only one thing on which we all agree/have in common (we all lack a belief in the existence of gods)
There is really nothing else you can claim/state about ALL atheists.

However any atheist who is an atheist for good reasons (ie refusing to believe in things for which there is no
evidence) will be open to new evidence and changing their mind based on that evidence.

I for example would change my mind about the existence of god/s if presented with evidence that justifies me doing so.

I am not however going to worship any such beings as I hold that any being worthy of worship (if such a thing is possible)
wouldn't demand or even ask for such worship.

Thus any being worthy of worship isn't going to care that I don't worship them, and any being that cares about being
worshipped isn't worthy of it.

Moves
12 Dec 12

The problem I have with this question is that being an atheist does not, for me, involve holding a view. It involves not holding a view, and all I can say is that when I ask myself if I hold a view that is theistic, I find the answer to be "no." The way I could be wrong would be that I do actually hold a theistic view and don't know it. I suppose I am open to this possibility, but it seems very strange to me to say I have a belief I don't know I hold.

So for me the sum total of holding an atheistic view, is not holding a theistic view.

k

Moves
12 Dec 12

Originally posted by JS357
The problem I have with this question is that being an atheist does not, for me, involve holding a view. It involves not holding a view, and all I can say is that when I ask myself if I hold a view that is theistic, I find the answer to be "no." The way I could be wrong would be that I do actually hold a theistic view and don't know it. I suppose I am open to ...[text shortened]... ld.

So for me the sum total of holding an atheistic view, is not holding a theistic view.
Would you say that being an atheist is analogous to a glass (you) with nothing in it (not holding a view) and a belief in God or something larger than you, a creator perhaps, would be the contents of such a glass (a view)?

Additionally, would it be fair to say that an atheistic view, is the absence of anything 'spiritual'?

Moves
12 Dec 12

Would you say that being an atheist is analogous to a glass (you) with nothing in it (not holding a view) and a belief in God or something larger than you, a creator perhaps, would be the contents of such a glass (a view)?

Additionally, would it be fair to say that an atheistic view, is the absence of anything 'spiritual'?
Analogies can be dangerous. George Lakoff and Mark Johnson wrote an interesting book called Metaphors we Live By. One point is that our language is studded with metaphors that we use unconsciously, and they both shape and reflect our beliefs. Another point is that metaphors can be consciously used to manipulate those beliefs. "Holding" a belief is a metaphor already; it is a sort of active physical possession metaphor. The glass is a more general (but passive) container metaphor, in that a glass can hold a liquid. But once the glass metaphor is accepted, it can easily be used to manipulate conclusions about the subject at hand. For example, we could say the purpose of a glass is fulfilled only when it is filled. So would it be said that the purpose of my "glass"is only going to be "fulfilled" when I have filled it with a theistic belief? Or at a minimum when I settle on either theism or "strong atheism?"? This suggests the absence of belief is something that should be eliminated, which I don't want to convey.

I think one's approach to one's own lack of theism can be spiritual. As I come more and more over the years to accept that I lack belief in deity, and may always, I find myself to be more at peace.

s

Moves
15 Dec 12

I apologize that I only found the thread a moment ago, and I haven't time to peruse it in its entirety. However, as an Agnostic Atheist, I will happily answer from my own perspective. Most Agnostic/Atheists didn't start out that way. Most of us were raised in traditional religions. Therefore, we have spent a lot of time contemplating theology before becoming Atheists, so we are people who have developed an inherent interest in such things. Furthermore, as it is an unpopular philosophy, we are constantly challenged to defend it, thus we feel obligated to be educated on the subject.

Hope that helps.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by shiloh
I apologize that I only found the thread a moment ago, and I haven't time to peruse it in its entirety. However, as an Agnostic Atheist, I will happily answer from my own perspective. Most Agnostic/Atheists didn't start out that way. Most of us were raised in traditional religions. Therefore, we have spent a lot of time contemplating theology before becoming ...[text shortened]... enged to defend it, thus we feel obligated to be educated on the subject.

Hope that helps.
You did not answer the OP. Why are you here?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
You did not answer the OP. Why are you here?
Deep.
Why are any of us here .....................

s

Moves
15 Dec 12

The question was why do we frequent a spirituality forum. I believe I answered that clearly enough.