"What are the temporal and eternal..."

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
28 May 15
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
So?

Flew is both wrong and confused about many issues, including those he mentions here.

But from the passage you site, he says, he believes in a god, and that that god is a person [a being].

A theist is a person who positively believes in the existence of a god or gods.
Flew believes in the existence of a god.
Flew is a theist.

And what he ...[text shortened]... the
default assumption of an American reading the interview and being told that he's a theist.
Flew didn't say he wasn't a theist, he clarified what sort of theist he is. If I'm not mistaken the point of having a list of definitions (such as yours) is for the same purpose... to clarify and define various shades of meaning.

F

Moves
29 May 15

Originally posted by lemon lime
When I was agnostic I wasn't particularly curious or objective, it was simply a safe place for me to maintain my atheism while appearing to be objective. I didn't doubt what I believed, but being an agnostic seemed to be the most reasonable way of maintaining (or perhaps justifying) what I believed.
Do you think any of the agnostics/atheists active in this community are intellectually dishonest in the same way as you describe yourself to have been [above]? Have you ever met any agnostics/atheists who were similar to how you describe yourself to have been?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 May 15

Originally posted by FMF
Do you think any of the agnostics/atheists active in this community are intellectually dishonest in the same way as you describe yourself to have been [above]? Have you ever met any agnostics/atheists who were similar to how you describe yourself to have been?
Reset for lemon lime.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 May 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
What are the temporal and eternal benefits for someone who believes
in an after life to decide to become an agnostic or an atheist?
Temporally- self aggrandizement.

Eternally- to be determined at the appointed time.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 May 15

Originally posted by josephw
Temporally- self aggrandizement.

Eternally- to be determined at the appointed time.
Succinct, Joe. Thanks.

Moves
29 May 15

Reset for lemon lime.
Is "reset" the only option your online thesaurus came up with for "bump"?

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 May 15

Originally posted by divegeester
If you knew you'd be quiet and ready to learn.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 May 15

@divegeester: "For unmoderated but slightly dull and obscure conversation consider Club 244"

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 May 15

If you knew you'd be quiet and ready to learn.
Day off today?

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 May 15

Day off today?
What? I'm a workaholic! 😉 Work everyday except Sundays. A body should rest one day a week. Not for religious reasons, but because it's healthy.

Thank God I have so much to do! 🙂

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 May 15

What? I'm a workaholic! 😉 Work everyday except Sundays. A body should rest one day a week. Not for religious reasons, but because it's healthy.

Thank God I have so much to do! 🙂
Some day in the distant future you'll look back upon the Year of Our Lord 2015 as the good old days.
Enjoy being in the arena now and some well deserved downtime this weekend with your family.
Online forums have the potential of becoming habit forming; I'll be back Monday. Take care, Joe.

Moves
31 May 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Okay, at this stage it's just an hypothesis, but are JWs a modern day manifestation of the Borg? Here is the evidence so far:

1. Borg send a collective message to their targets. (Usually followed by a declaration that the target in question will be assimilated and its "biological and technological distinctiveness" added to their own).
2. "Resist ...[text shortened]...
5. Their appearance is rather comical and out of place.
5. They have a queen. (Enter Robbie).
Not just a "hive mind" but have you also noticed similar attitudes and posting behaviours? Particularly roigam and Glaveston75 for example.

Moves
31 May 15
2 edits

Not just a "hive mind" but have you also noticed similar attitudes and posting behaviours? Particularly roigam and Glaveston75 for example.
Yes, i had noticed that.

🙂

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 May 15

But you don't have "attitudes and posting behaviors"?

Everyone does!

Moves
31 May 15

But you don't have "attitudes and posting behaviors"?

Everyone does!
How far into my post did you get before you made your assumptions and stopped reading?