1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 May '22 13:161 edit
    @divegeester

sonship:
    The next time you see a photograph of the surface of the planet Mars. Check your eyes and your heart.
    I wager that you stare at that picture of the desolate planet's surface searching for something that reminds you of earth, life, man's world.
    I wager that that is the intuitive sense in your heart that creation was arrange for human life. It just seems without this the plan ...[text shortened]... th life support systems like water, gravity, vegetation, clouds, rain, green, other lives . . . etc.

Where do you get this type of idea from sonship?

Fair question.

People are often "seeing" what they think is sure indication that there was something living or intelligent on the moon or on Mars. What happened if there was? People think Venus was once like the earth perhaps but was overcome by a global warming of its own.

People seem to have an intuitive feeling that Mars may be a warning, or Venus may be a warning, or the Moon had something going on intelligent there. This generation of ours gazes out into the universe wondering either "WHEN will be find the other being like us?" or "WHERE did they all go - the other beings likes us?"

It may be subjective but it is not my Chrisitan faith that causes me to stare searching with my eyes the landscapes, the valleys, the plains of a Martian photograph. It is my suspicion that like looking at the Sahara desert or other desolate place I just instinctively wonder WHERE there might be something friendly to human habitation.

Maybe that is an intuitive sense that OUR WORLD (so to speak) is the standard. Other planets zre somehow not right unless they are more like OUR livable world.

Now some may scoff at my saying this. But I don't think they can so easily scoof at the attention given to FINDING another "earth" or planning to migrate to bio transform another "earth". LIke, we have to prepare to move out, move on, migrate. Where is a good "back up" planet world for mankind?

Ask Elon Musk and the money he invests in SpaceX.
    If Carl Sagon were still here you could ask him - "Is there another livable planet out there ?"

I get this kind of notion from not my generation's preoccupation with FINDING life on other planets. This represents to me no JUST curiosity but some innate feeling that we simply cannot be alone in this vast universe.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 May '22 13:24
    @sonship said
    As for the credibility of the atonement of Christ?
    The question is about your credibility as an advocate of the doctrine. Does expressing your belief that Mars' uninhabitable surface is the work of "Satan" increase or decrease your personal credibility as a proselytizer?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 May '22 13:454 edits
    @FMF

Too late to backpeddle now FMF. You linked the whole matter with the credibility of Christ's work.

So you attack a messenger in hope to get rid of the message.

proselytize
    prŏs′ə-lĭ-tīz″
    intransitive verb
    To attempt to convert someone to one's own religious faith.
    To attempt to persuade someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.
    To convert (a person) from one belief, doctrine, cause, or faith to another.

And to the proselytize whinning ?

Hey, we' re sorry if you feel you never have anything worth being excited to tell anyone.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 May '22 14:021 edit
    @sonship said
    Too late to backpeddle now FMF. You linked the whole matter with the credibility of Christ's work
    No backpeddling going on here. The issue from the outset has been one's credibility as an advocate or proponent.

If you profess a belief that, say, Democrats are communist lizard people, does that undermine or enhance your credibility as a political analyst and advocate on subjects like health care and voting rights?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 May '22 14:05
    @sonship said
    Hey, we' re sorry if you feel you never have anything worth being excited to tell anyone.
    You can play the man instead of the ball as much as you want sonship if you think it bolsters your credibility as an adocate of your beliefs and your conversational abilities.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 May '22 14:08
    @sonship said
    So you attack a messenger in hope to get rid of the message.
    You are not being "attacked". You are being invited to reflect in public on the trade-off between propagating core beliefs and fringe beliefs and the implications for credibility and efficacy.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 May '22 14:26
    @sonship said
    @divegeester

sonship:
    [quote] The next time you see a photograph of the surface of the planet Mars. Check your eyes and your heart.
    I wager that you stare at that picture of the desolate planet's surface searching for something that reminds you of earth, life, man's world.
    I wager that that is the intuitive sense in your heart that creation was arrange for human life. ...[text shortened]... o me no JUST curiosity but some innate feeling that we simply cannot be alone in this vast universe.
    So this notions of a pre-life on Mars doesn’t stem from another person within your church denomination?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 May '22 14:34
    @divegeester said
    So this notions of a pre-life on Mars doesn’t stem from another person within your church denomination?
    He is saying, I think, that his Mars belief stems from him looking at a photograph of the surface of the planet. I think he is saying that it is his own idea based on that photograph.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 May '22 20:251 edit
    @FMF
    He is saying, I think, that his Mars belief stems from him looking at a photograph of the surface of the planet. I think he is saying that it is his own idea based on that photograph.

Another atheist high five probably I was speaking of before, which DIvegeester protested about.

Tell me FMF, how EASIER is it to believe that random lucky accidents took a long time to arrive at the eventual structure of a DNA molecule?

So an ancient rebellion of an immensly powerful, smart, spiritual creature of God and opposed to God having some effect beyond the earth is harder to imagine than your "faith"? Namely that lucky accidents over a long period of time randomly resulted in the structure of the DNA molecule?

Your religion is easier to imagine?

Don't waste your breath with the chorus that "You don't understand evolution" because you don't either.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 May '22 20:28
    @sonship said
    @FMF

Another atheist high five probably I was speaking of before, which DIvegeester protested about.

Tell me FMF, how EASIER is it to believe that random lucky accide ...[text shortened]... 't waste your breath with the chorus that "You don't understand evolution" because you don't either.
    So this notion of a pre-life on Mars doesn’t stem from another person within your church denomination?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 May '22 20:321 edit
    FMF finds it kind of off beat or silly that I imagined the possibility that the judgment of God upon Satan may have effected other places.

In his next post, he should explain how far easier it is to imagine the DNA molecule arose without a plan, a designing handling of information translation, stucture and function.

While he smiles incredulously about what I said was possible he going to show DNA molecule across all known life was the result of nothing exploding long ago and matter getting around to organizing itself with no intelligent teleological concept.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 May '22 20:401 edit
    @divegeester

So this notion of a pre-life on Mars doesn’t stem from another person within your church denomination?

We do not denominate. We receive all believers whom Christ has received as "members" IF they want to confess the same Lord Jesus.

And you might as well stop imagining that two brothers meeting on the ground of "one church - for one city" never have different opinions about less than crucial understandings of what the Bible reveals.

Just a few weeks ago I sat down with a brother in the church of God in Pittsburgh and we had a long friendly and mutual discussion about whether or not we should understand the destruction of death to mean the abolishing of the second death.

Do you think different levels of studying Scripture and different viewpoints of passages is impossible for brothers who believe there is one Body and the church should assemble on the local ground ?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 May '22 20:451 edit
    Folks, it is a tendency that every time I as an enthusiastic examiner of God's word. mention another planet, jeers, sneers, laughter and ridicule are likely to follow for a few years afterwards.

Divegeester and a couple others love to pounce upon such musings like this as outlandish violations of the good old Christianity they're use to confined to prayer private closets and showdowy rooms with stain glass windows depicting Middle Ages frescos.

I think they imagine Christians are not suppose to think about anything related to the Bible beyond the earth except maybe "going to heaven."
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 May '22 20:533 edits
    While FMF gets his amusement that I would mention Mars in a purely speculative way related to the ancient past, he is going to show -

It is way more intellectual to imagine the "science" of a non-human animal giving birth to a human - OH YES, yet Soooooo gradual that it is impossible to pinpoint when the evolutionary transition took place.

Now that is much easier to think about to FMF than what I say may have happened to beyond the earth on Mars. (Where they are spending millions on trying to find out why it is now possibly DEAD when their might have been life there.)

Satan's rebellion effecting Mars ????
    That's outlandish fairy tale stuff.

A unobserved gradualism that caused a primate ape like being to GRADUALLY deliver from its womb a human being? Now that's supposed to be more realistic and much easier to imagine.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 May '22 23:39
    @sonship said
    While FMF gets his amusement that I would mention Mars in a purely speculative way related to the ancient past, he is going to show -

It is way more intellectual to imagine the "science" of a non-human animal giving birth to a human - OH YES, yet Soooooo gradual that it is impossible to pinpoint when the evolutionary transition took place.

Now that is ...[text shortened]... from its womb a human being? Now that's supposed to be more realistic and much easier to imagine.
    I don't think this peculiarly distraught whataboutism on your part is anything other than a dodge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree