war! what is it good for?

war! what is it good for?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
10 Feb 12

my very basic knowledge of the bible tells me to turn the other cheek and that "thou shalt not kill" how do christians justify going to war. both bush and blair were christians. what about the death penalty? it seems to be more popular in the more god fearing states of america. isnt this in direct conflict with the commandment?

ive got a feeling somebody is going to tell me im lazy and should have read george 3:12" thou can kill with as long as you have an m16 and a gung-ho attitude"

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
10 Feb 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
my very basic knowledge of the bible tells me to turn the other cheek and that "thou shalt not kill" how do christians justify going to war. both bush and blair were christians. what about the death penalty? it seems to be more popular in the more god fearing states of america. isnt this in direct conflict with the commandment?

ive got a feeling some ...[text shortened]... have read george 3:12" thou can kill with as long as you have an m16 and a gung-ho attitude"
You need to get some professional help. You have the thread-starting virus.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
10 Feb 12

ive got a feeling some ...[text shortened]... have read george 3:12" thou can kill with as long as you have an m16 and a gung-ho attitude"
I would say there are more Christian pacifists than secular ones. The Amish and Mennonites for example.

j

Moves
10 Feb 12
1 edit

Well, I think you may be a bit lazy and should go read george 3:12" thou can kill, as long as you have an m16 and a gung-ho attitude"

Next discussion ?

Moves
10 Feb 12

Originally posted by Rajk999
You need to get some professional help. You have the thread-starting virus.
where do you suggest?

ive got a lot of questions, if you dont want to answer or talk about them then eff off matey.

(would that be a god given virus?(rhetorical question))

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
10 Feb 12

They'll say that it should be translated 'thou shall not murder' instead of 'kill' - which allows them to perform all sorts of state-sanctioned forms of killing.

Look at the rest of the Old Testament. God gave those commandments to the Israelites, and he later tells the Israelites to kill many people in the promised land [and on the way] and take it over.

Moves
10 Feb 12
1 edit

Originally posted by jaywill
Well, I think you may be a bit lazy and should go read george 3:12" thou can kill, as long as you have an m16 and a gung-ho attitude"

Next discussion ?
aww man i cant belive you just shot me down like that!!!

with all this heckling im starting to understand how the crazy old bible basher on his soapbox in the town center feels.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Feb 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Look at the rest of the Old Testament. God gave those commandments to the Israelites, and he later tells the Israelites to kill many people in the promised land [and on the way] and take it over.
Not to mention the death penalty being prescribed for many crimes.

Moves
10 Feb 12

Originally posted by rwingett
I would say there are more Christian pacifists than secular ones. The Amish and Mennonites for example.
i do like the amish especially kelly mcgillis. i wouldnt disagree that there are lots of pacifist christians. the questions aimed at the ones who think war is acceptable.

Moves
10 Feb 12

You will not find a more intelligent Christian explanation than is here:

http://www.catholic.com/documents/just-war-doctrine

Partial quote:

"The strict conditions for legitimate defense by military force require rigorous consideration. The gravity of such a decision makes it subject to rigorous conditions of moral legitimacy. At one and the same time:

the damage inflicted by the aggressor on the nation or community of nations must be lasting, grave, and certain;
all other means of putting an end to it must have been shown to be impractical or ineffective;
there must be serious prospects of success;
the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated. The power of modern means of destruction weighs very heavily in evaluating this condition.

These are the traditional elements enumerated in what is called the "just war" doctrine. The evaluation of these conditions for moral legitimacy belongs to the prudential judgment of those who have responsibility for the common good.

unquote.

I am not arguing for or against the position taken. Jut trying to shed light, not heat.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
10 Feb 12

the problem is that you're expecting rational behavior from people who have embraced irrationality.

rc

Moves
10 Feb 12
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
You will not find a more intelligent Christian explanation than is here:

http://www.catholic.com/documents/just-war-doctrine

Partial quote:

"The strict conditions for legitimate defense by military force require rigorous consideration. The gravity of such a decision makes it subject to rigorous conditions of moral legitimacy. At one and the same time: e.

I am not arguing for or against the position taken. Jut trying to shed light, not heat.
No moral justification for war, violence foments more violence

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
10 Feb 12

"Thou shalt not kill" is not a good translation. "Thou shalt not murder" is more accurate.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
10 Feb 12

where do you suggest?

ive got a lot of questions, if you dont want to answer or talk about them then eff off matey.

(would that be a god given virus?(rhetorical question))
I suggest that you go get yourself a life.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
10 Feb 12

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
"Thou shalt not kill" is not a good translation. "Thou shalt not murder" is more accurate.
swissgambit problemist said you would say that. can you explain the difference?