Veracity of the Bible

Veracity of the Bible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
27 Oct 07

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
28 Oct 07

Originally posted by serigado
That is not knowledge. That is a fact, consequence of the concept we have of triangles. Nothing in the world can change that, it's inherent to a right triangle. And it's based on axioms. From axioms, we can take necessary truths. The same way with syllogisms. The logic that comes from a syllogism is not knowledge.
That's why mathematics is not a science. It's only a tool, a language.
I don't know if I made myself clear... I guess not...
What would be an example of knowledge, then? If 2+2=4 in decimal mathematics doesn't constitute
knowledge, then what does?

Nemesio

s

Moves
28 Oct 07

Originally posted by Nemesio
What would be an example of knowledge, then? If 2+2=4 in decimal mathematics doesn't constitute
knowledge, then what does?

Nemesio
This is more a philosophically discussion about the concept "knowledge", but as I understand "knowledge", it must be conclusion about the real world.
2+2=4 is always true conceptually, since the moment you define the concepts "sum", "one", "two", "natural numbers". It's a conceptual fact, nothing more.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
28 Oct 07

This is more a philosophically discussion about the concept "knowledge", but as I understand "knowledge", it must be conclusion about the real world.
2+2=4 is always true conceptually, since the moment you define the concepts "sum", "one", "two", "natural numbers". It's a conceptual fact, nothing more.
I sense you get frustrated with the "knowledge" in this forum. What I would offer to you about knowledge here is, that at least for me, knowledge is more than about "real world". Yea, it helps to have facts and correct facts, but really knowledgable people are willing to say "I don't know, but I will look it up and get back with you." Sometimes intelligence is more about knowing where to find an answer and having the courage to go look for it rather than actually having the answer.

s

Moves
28 Oct 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
I sense you get frustrated with the "knowledge" in this forum. What I would offer to you about knowledge here is, that at least for me, knowledge is more than about "real world". Yea, it helps to have facts and correct facts, but really knowledgable people are willing to say "I don't know, but I will look it up and get back with you." Sometimes intelli ...[text shortened]... n answer and having the courage to go look for it rather than actually having the answer.
I'm not sure about the meaning in english, but I would call that "wisdom".
If I don't know a thing, I'll say "I don't know" or "I'm not sure".
Yes, many times I get frustrated from knowledge in this forum because it stops me from having a reasonable debate.

P

weedhopper

Moves
28 Oct 07

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
[b]In my viewpoint of the world, there can't be ultimate or absolute truths.
Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like a truth statement.[/b]
PERFECT reply. The law of non-contradiction strikes 'em down every time.

P

weedhopper

Moves
28 Oct 07

Couldn't it just be possible that some men many centuries ago manipulated some information and exaggerated some facts to write it? I believe Christ existed. Couldn't he just be a genial speaker with an outstanding message that moved crowds? Would that make Christ less valuable? I believe not. I think it's quite possible some people wanted so much that messag ...[text shortened]... ime they simply turned Christ to be the something more then he really was. Isn't this possible??
Is it possible? It's "possible" that I'll be stealing Katie Holmes from Tom Cruise. It's "possible" that God created the Great Pyramids out of a tuna fish sandwich. It's possible---it's just that, well it isn't. You said it all when you stated your viewpoint about absolute truth. Most people thinks it exists. You don't. Case closed.

s

Moves
28 Oct 07

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Is it possible? It's "possible" that I'll be stealing Katie Holmes from Tom Cruise. It's "possible" that God created the Great Pyramids out of a tuna fish sandwich. It's possible---it's just that, well it isn't. You said it all when you stated your viewpoint about absolute truth. Most people thinks it exists. You don't. Case closed.
That has a name: Fundamentalism.
When I said "possible" I meant "plausibly possible", but I guess your reducing view of the world must all try to diminish opposing viewpoints, independently of how plausible they are.
I corrected the sentence about "absolute truth", I meant it with another meaning: "We can't know nothing for sure". Apparently, you can. You are a lot more then me, fundamentalist.