1. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 14:40
    Some people just don't care about arguments and take as a starting point (could say as an axiom) the Truth in the Bible.

In my viewpoint of the world, there can't be ultimate or absolute truths. So, where do believers in the Bible get the guarantee that what is in there is the Truth?

Couldn't it just be possible that some men many centuries ago manipulated some information and exaggerated some facts to write it? I believe Christ existed. Couldn't he just be a genial speaker with an outstanding message that moved crowds? Would that make Christ less valuable? I believe not. I think it's quite possible some people wanted so much that message to endure the test of time they simply turned Christ to be the something more then he really was. Isn't this possible??

Many of the things said in the Bible simply don't make sense nowadays. Anthropocentrism was left only 500 yrs ago when evidence against it was overwhelming, as an example.
    What makes you believe the Bible is unquestionable???
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 14:42
    Originally posted by serigado
    Some people just don't care about arguments and take as a starting point (could say as an axiom) the Truth in the Bible.

In my viewpoint of the world, there can't be ultimate or absolute truths. So, where do believers in the Bible get the guarantee that what is in there is the Truth?

Couldn't it just be possible that some men many centuries ago manipu ...[text shortened]... t was overwhelming, as an example.
    In my viewpoint of the world, there can't be ultimate or absolute truths.
    Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like a truth statement.
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 14:482 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]In my viewpoint of the world, there can't be ultimate or absolute truths.
    Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like a truth statement.[/b]
    It's like saying "Never say never".
    The veracity of the affirmation doesn't include the affirmation itself but only applies in the scope I imply by default (the real world). You can't include the sentence in that scope, or else you could never make the assertion.
    But either way, saying "there are no absolute truths" is not an absolute truth. It is just the way I believe things are.
    But imagine, by absurd, that the sentence is wrong. Then the opposite would be false, and absolute truths could exist, corroborating the initial statement. So, the sentence makes sense.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 15:09
    It's like saying "Never say never".
    The veracity of the affirmation doesn't include the affirmation itself but only applies in the scope I imply by default (the real world). You can't include the sentence in that scope, or else you could never make the assertion.
    But either way, saying "there are no absolute truths" is not an absolute truth. It is just th ...[text shortened]... te truths could exist, corroborating the initial statement. So, the sentence makes sense.
    Making a statement about anything is a truth statement. Making a truth statement about the lack of truth is an absurdity, therefore, truth exists.
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 15:11
    Making a statement about anything is a truth statement. Making a truth statement about the lack of truth is an absurdity, therefore, truth exists.
    I won't go that way, don't have the patience.
    I alter my phrase to:
    "We can't know nothing for absolute sure", is this better?
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 15:13
    [b]In my viewpoint of the world, there can't be ultimate or absolute truths.
    Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like a truth statement.[/b]
    I daresay I think I'm with you on this.

Maybe it would be better to say:
    The only ultimate truth is that there are no other ultimate truths.

Somehow, that's less sexy, I suppose.

That having been said, there are plenty of ultimate truths, so it's a silly statement anyway.

Nemesio
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 15:18
    Originally posted by Nemesio

That having been said, there are plenty of ultimate truths, so it's a silly statement anyway.

Nemesio[/b]

It'd be a shame for that one truth to be so damn lonely. Fortunately for it, however, we have the capability to break down even the so-called irreducibles into simpler forms. Each word, every letter is based upon another form of truth, let alone the concept itself's dependence thereof.
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 21:05
    [This got off topic, so I changed the non-consensual sentence to "we can't know for sure...", instead of "there are no absolute truths"]

In my viewpoint of the world, we can't know if anything is the ultimate or absolute truth. So, where do believers in the Bible get the guarantee that what is in there is the Truth?

Couldn't it just be possible that some men many centuries ago manipulated some information and exaggerated some facts to write it? I believe Christ existed. Couldn't he just be a genial speaker with an outstanding message that moved crowds? Would that make Christ less valuable? I believe not. I think it's quite possible some people wanted so much that message to endure the test of time they simply turned Christ to be the something more then he really was. Isn't this possible??

Many of the things said in the Bible simply don't make sense nowadays. Anthropocentrism was left only 500 yrs ago when evidence against it was overwhelming, as an example.
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 21:08
    Anthropocentrism was left only 500 yrs ago when evidence against it was overwhelming, as an example.
    You mean heliocentrism. Anthropocentrism is alive and well.

Nemesio
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 21:09
    "We can't know nothing for absolute sure", is this better?
    Do you think we can know that the sum of the square of the sides is equal to the square of the
    hypotenuse in a right triangle?

Nemesio
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 21:12

Nemesio
    How about a truth from the Bible such as you shall reap what you sow? Is this an absolute truth or am I missing something here?
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 21:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    How about a truth from the Bible such as you shall reap what you sow? Is this an absolute truth or am I missing something here?
    Don't you know plenty of people who are very happy, have everything the need, and are selfish
    jerks?

Nemesio
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 21:213 edits
    Don't you know plenty of people who are very happy, have everything the need, and are selfish
    jerks?

Nemesio
    No. The selfish jerks I know are pretty miserable people. They then are treated as they treat other people. Relationships they are involved in are usurally narcasisstic and last only as long as the other person is fun to be around. In the end they will wind up with shallow relationships and a wasted life.
  14. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 22:55
    Do you think we can know that the sum of the square of the sides is equal to the square of the
    hypotenuse in a right triangle?

Nemesio
    That is not knowledge. That is a fact, consequence of the concept we have of triangles. Nothing in the world can change that, it's inherent to a right triangle. And it's based on axioms. From axioms, we can take necessary truths. The same way with syllogisms. The logic that comes from a syllogism is not knowledge.
    That's why mathematics is not a science. It's only a tool, a language.
    I don't know if I made myself clear... I guess not...
  15. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 22:57
    You mean heliocentrism. Anthropocentrism is alive and well.

Nemesio
    I thought anthropocentrism died with heliocentrism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree