Vedic knowledge at the foundation of modern science

Vedic knowledge at the foundation of modern science

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
01 Mar 11

Originally posted by finnegan
The analogy is that while it may be thought that the only Truth is to be found in the Vedanta, this is only a useful claim to believers. It cannot possibly have any appeal to others.
An interesting analogy.

What I find most strange is that Dasa is here, talking to others, yet simultaneously professes an inability to carry on any form of rational discussion with anyone who does not already accept Vedanta to be an Authority. Does he think we will all become instant converts, or does he think that we are all secretly Vedanta followers already and are just being dishonest when we deny it?

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
01 Mar 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
An interesting analogy.

What I find most strange is that Dasa is here, talking to others, yet simultaneously professes an inability to carry on any form of rational discussion with anyone who does not already accept Vedanta to be an Authority. Does he think we will all become instant converts, or does he think that we are all secretly Vedanta followers already and are just being dishonest when we deny it?
It seems that Dasa has the view that we are secretly followers (although he claims that Vedanta is common sense, and we all have common sense), but being dishonest. This is based on posts saying that we ignore "common sense" to live hedonistic lives.

s

Lowlands paradise

Moves
01 Mar 11

Originally posted by Dasa
I certainly do reject falsity....dont you.

Vedanta is the authority and to understand that, you have to involve yourself with its teachings and practice the principles of purification to bring your mind intelligence and heart to a transcendental platform....when you have done this all shall be understood.

If you try and understand Vedanta with the conditioned mind and the wrong attitude you will only create agitation for yourself..
I certainly do reject falsity....dont you.
Yes, but people have divergent views, especially here on a spiritual forum. What can be false for you can be valuable and true for another.
It is only with respect for these differences we can try to debate and communicate and see if we can find common ground.

Vedanta is the authority and to understand that, you have to involve yourself with its teachings and practice the principles of purification to bring your mind intelligence and heart to a transcendental platform....when you have done this all shall be understood.
Yes when you believe Vedanta is THE authority to truth you better follow it. But you seem to miss the point that other people believe in another authority or in no authority at all.

If you try and understand Vedanta with the conditioned mind and the wrong attitude you will only create agitation for yourself..
I would think if one has an unconditioned mind he is not in need of any outer authority.

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
01 Mar 11

Originally posted by souverein
[b]I certainly do reject falsity....dont you.
Yes, but people have divergent views, especially here on a spiritual forum. What can be false for you can be valuable and true for another.
It is only with respect for these differences we can try to debate and communicate and see if we can find common ground.

Vedanta is the authority and to underst ...[text shortened]... ..
I would think if one has an unconditioned mind he is not in need of any outer authority.[/b]
Its perfectly ok for persons to have other ideas, but when those ideas are shown to be incorrect then they should not defend them.

Persons are free to reject the authority, but when they do, their platform of knowledge is questionable from then on.

But the mind becomes unconditioned because they have followed the authority in the first place, and have arrived at the transcendental platform because of that authority.

The respect for the authority is never given up, because the authority is the Personality of Godhead, and the process for enlightment never ends.

s

Lowlands paradise

Moves
01 Mar 11

Its perfectly ok for persons to have other ideas, but when those ideas are shown to be incorrect then they should not defend them.

Persons are free to reject the authority, but when they do, their platform of knowledge is questionable from then on.

But the mind becomes unconditioned because they have followed the authority in the first place, and have arr ...[text shortened]... because the authority is the Personality of Godhead, and the process for enlightment never ends.
Again this is YOUR belief, not mine. To me your mind seems conditioned in a way that is not appealing to me.

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
02 Mar 11

Again this is YOUR belief, not mine. To me your mind seems conditioned in a way that is not appealing to me.
A person can be conditioned with truth....or conditioned with error.

I choose truth.

F

Moves
02 Mar 11

I choose truth.
But you keep making demonstrably inaccurate assertions and claims about other members of this community. What happens to this "truth" when you do this?

s

Lowlands paradise

Moves
02 Mar 11

A person can be conditioned with truth....or conditioned with error.

I choose truth.
More people claim that and think they know the absolute truth. They have landed on a slippery slope.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Mar 11

More people claim that and think they know the absolute truth. They have landed on a slippery slope.
And fall on their assumptions.