1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 06:15
    @dj2becker said
    But obviously if you throw logic out the door you don’t have to subject yourself the law of non contradiction.
    There is no contradiction.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 06:22
    KellyJay, for instance, believes that everyone is "evil" and "wicked" and that, therefore, everyone "deserves" to be tormented in burning flames for eternity and that everyone remains conscious forever - either "in Heaven" or some such - or conscious of the agony of being burned for eternity "in Hell" or some such. The mere fact that KellyJay believes that all this is true for everyone does not make these beliefs of his "objective".
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 06:33
    dj2becker, you seem to me to be totally out of your depth.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 06:56
    @fmf said
    My opinions about supernatural things, and my opinions about other people's beliefs regarding supernatural things, are all subjective. There is no contradiction.
    Obviously if you’re not bounds by the laws of logic and absolute truth you can claim whatever you want and contradict yourself and claim that you’re not contradicting yourself and claim that you are using logic because all truth is relative. In essence you’re just shooting randomly and calling everything you hit the target. You can shift the goal posts whenever you wish. You can even claim that you aren’t. You can even claim that two contradictory statement are both true. Everything is possible within a framework of relative truth.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 07:341 edit
    @dj2becker said
    Obviously if you’re not bounds by the laws of logic and absolute truth you can claim whatever you want and contradict yourself and claim that you’re not contradicting yourself and claim that you are using logic because all truth is relative.
    There is no contradiction in what I am saying. Meanwhile, there is there no "absolute truths" you can tell me about supernatural things that have resulted from your speculations and religious doctrines.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 07:35
    @dj2becker said
    You can even claim that two contradictory statement are both true. Everything is possible within a framework of relative truth.
    You are entitled to claim whatever "truth" you want about supernatural things. No one is stopping you.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 07:40
    @dj2becker said
    In essence you’re just shooting randomly and calling everything you hit the target.
    No, I am not. All I am saying is that all anyone can do is speculate about unknowable and unprovable supernatural things ~ which are immune to the kind of empirical scrutiny that creates objectivity ~ and the results of this speculation are subjective beliefs. I am not "shooting randomly" in any shape or form.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 07:44
    @dj2becker said
    Obviously if you’re not bounds by the laws of logic and absolute truth ...
    It does not matter how many times you refer to your religious/superstitious beliefs as "absolute truth" or claim that you are "bound" by "absolute truth", it does not make any of your beliefs "objective".
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 08:12
    @fmf said
    No, I am not. All I am saying is that all anyone can do is speculate about unknowable and unprovable supernatural things ~ which are immune to the kind of empirical scrutiny that creates objectivity ~ and the results of this speculation are subjective beliefs. I am not "shooting randomly" in any shape or form.
    Your argument self destructs if you’re just speculating that it’s unprovable and unknowable. You can’t know that to be true, so your argument is moot.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 08:20
    @fmf said
    It does not matter how many times you refer to your religious/superstitious beliefs as "absolute truth" or claim that you are "bound" by "absolute truth", it does not make any of your beliefs "objective".
    If what you’re saying cannot be shown to be objectively true why should anyone even bother listening to you if everything is just just a meaningless cacophony of subjective ‘farts in the wind’?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 08:54
    @dj2becker said
    If what you’re saying cannot be shown to be objectively true why should anyone even bother listening to you if everything is just just a meaningless cacophony of subjective ‘farts in the wind’?
    People can make what they want of my personal opinions about supernatural matters, just as people can make what they want of your personal opinions about them too.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 08:57
    @dj2becker said
    Your argument self destructs if you’re just speculating that it’s unprovable and unknowable. You can’t know that to be true, so your argument is moot.
    Supernatural matters are the subject of both your speculation and mine. Neither of us is able to generate objective opinions about them.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 09:01
    @dj2becker said
    If what you’re saying cannot be shown to be objectively true why should anyone even bother listening to you
    Maybe for the same reason as I am listening to you.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 13:07
    @fmf said
    Maybe for the same reason as I am listening to you.
    If none of what we are saying can be objectively true, it doesn’t matter what anyone believes. It’s all pointless having a discussion then.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 13:40
    @dj2becker said
    If none of what we are saying can be objectively true, it doesn’t matter what anyone believes. It’s all pointless having a discussion then.
    I don't think this discussion has been pointless because I think I have laid out my stance pretty well and, presumably, you think you have done the same with your stance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree