Toxic positivity: when happiness can be harmful

Toxic positivity: when happiness can be harmful

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
19 Feb 22
1 edit

Toxic positivity: when happiness becomes harmful

"All in the Mind" podcast/transcript: https://tinyurl.com/mu3b9w9n

"We're urged to stay positive and keep up a cheerful disposition ... but sometimes things are just awful, aren’t they? Why do we engage in toxic positivity and why is it so damaging when we do? Could something called 'tragic optimism' could be the antidote?"

Thoughts?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Feb 22
1 edit

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
19 Feb 22

@fmf said

"We're urged to stay positive and keep up a cheerful disposition ... but sometimes things are just awful, aren’t they? Why do we engage in toxic positivity and why is it so damaging when we do? Could something called 'tragic optimism' could be the antidote?"

Thoughts?
That's a very difficult one to answer due to the fact that no two people think exactly alike. Person #1 may prefer to think positively, believing that will somehow affect what happens to them, person #2 may prefer not to get their hopes up, and when something positive does happen they see it as an unexpected bonus.

F

Moves
19 Feb 22

@mchill said
That's a very difficult one to answer due to the fact that no two people think exactly alike. Person #1 may prefer to think positively, believing that will somehow affect what happens to them, person #2 may prefer not to get their hopes up, and when something positive does happen they see it as an unexpected bonus.
The podcast is about stuff like where Person #1 [who exudes positive bravado] hits Person #2 [who prefers not to get their hopes up and perhaps be realistic] with a positivity that is actually experienced as a kind of toxic pressure.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
19 Feb 22

relentlessly optimistic can seem oblivious to reality
i tend to disagree with the toxic label, one who prefers to view the world/events realistically instead of flowers and sunshine does not have to share in a worldview of the flowers and sunshine crew

i separate myself from extremes at either end

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
19 Feb 22

@fmf said

Thoughts?
I listened for about 20 seconds and realized it was cluttering clatter.

How can you subject yourself to it?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Feb 22

@fmf said

Thoughts?
You can have joy amid pain and suffering if your happiness isn't found by simply the things you are going through in this life alone. Even being happy amid great joy can cause some to falter, losing sight of essential things in life. I don't know who said this first; victories that cause us to be arrogant are worse than failures that make us humble. We pick and choose our battles, choose what we call victories, and wherever our heart is, there is our treasure.

F

Moves
19 Feb 22

@josephw said
I listened for about 20 seconds and realized it was cluttering clatter.

How can you subject yourself to it?
It's an interesting and informative documentary. To give a verdict after 20 seconds makes you sound like an oaf.

F

Moves
19 Feb 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
You can have joy amid pain and suffering if your happiness isn't found by simply the things you are going through in this life alone. Even being happy amid great joy can cause some to falter, losing sight of essential things in life. I don't know who said this first; victories that cause us to be arrogant are worse than failures that make us humble. We pick and choose our battles, choose what we call victories, and wherever our heart is, there is our treasure.
Is this about the content of the podcast?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Feb 22

@fmf said
Is this about the content of the podcast?
I didn't watch it, but I did read the text.

I agree putting a false face on what we are going through is harmful. Reality doesn't change no matter how we try to dress it up in our minds. I think we can tell ourselves all kinds of things, even try to make-believe what we know is not true in an attempt to hang on, trying to make sense of it all.

You know I'm a Christian have been for over 40 years now; during that time, we lost our first child. I believe I have shared that here before, too, nothing new. Positive thinking wouldn't have changed things; she had a rare heart defect. The doctors told us that they could not go to the books for what was going on with her, everything that happened they were writing the book.

She passed 13 days after her first birthday after we went to a group for parents that lost children; it was encouraging and enraging because of some of the things said. The worst, in my opinion, came from some in a church they attended, "If you only had a little more faith, she wouldn't have died." I still get angry thinking about that, but it is the same thing without God involved; be positive, it will work out.

Many people who said things were all doing so with some hope of lessening the pain and fear, but they were not helping. Some things said not only didn't take away the pain, but it also made it worse, the same with fear of what could occur. I realized they wanted to help, make us feel better and were trying, but the reality was we ended up having to give them grace for saying things that could have just caused us to blow up in their faces.

I think the one thing that we can do is just be there for someone going through a bad thing. I don't remember a lot of the things said to me back then over 30 years ago, but I remember the hugs and tears where they were there with us sharing our pain.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
19 Feb 22

@fmf said
It's an interesting and informative documentary. To give a verdict after 20 seconds makes you sound like an oaf.
An oaf would subject themselves to cluttering clatter because he can't figure out how to be happy without over complicating it.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
20 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
The worst, in my opinion, came from some in a church they attended, "If you only had a little more faith, she wouldn't have died." I still get angry thinking about that, but it is the same thing without God involved; be positive, it will work out.
It makes me angry and I wasn’t even there! These people are arrogant ignorant morons. Some so-called Christians make my blood boil and I’m not surprised you still get angry; maybe a good punch on the nose of the leader then would have helped.

I hope you’ve come to terms with the loss and the spirit of the Lord has been a comfort to you.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
20 Feb 22

@kellyjay said

Many people who said things were all doing so with some hope of lessening the pain and fear, but they were not helping.
No they weren’t KellyJay, they were dumping on you. Dumping their pride and spiritual superiority on a bereaved couple.

“If only you had more faith”…!!!!

It makes my blood boil it really does. “christianity”, with a small ‘c’, what a crock.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
20 Feb 22

@divegeester said
No they weren’t KellyJay, they were dumping on you. Dumping their pride and spiritual superiority on a bereaved couple.

“If only you had more faith”…!!!!

It makes my blood boil it really does. “christianity”, with a small ‘c’, what a crock.
"If only you had more faith".

Who do they think they are? They'll answer for that.

F

Moves
20 Feb 22

@josephw said
An oaf would subject themselves to cluttering clatter because he can't figure out how to be happy without over complicating it.
But this isn't what the podcast is about.