Top Muslim Cleric Calls for Ban On Chess Because It’s ‘A Waste of Time And Encourages Gambling

Top Muslim Cleric Calls for Ban On Chess Because It’s ‘A Waste of Time And Encourages Gambling

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
04 Sep 16
1 edit

Probably true for some people but not all people on the waste of time. But I don't get the gambling part?

http://jewfacts.com/top-muslim-cleric-calls-for-ban-on-chess-because-its-a-waste-of-time-and-encourages-gambling/

w

Moves
04 Sep 16

Originally posted by RBHILL

Probably true for some people but not all people on the waste of time. But I don't get the gambling part?

http://jewfacts.com/top-muslim-cleric-calls-for-ban-on-chess-because-its-a-waste-of-time-and-encourages-gambling/
I have $20 dollars here that says this is a lie.

Any takers?

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
04 Sep 16
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
I have $20 dollars here that says this is a lie.

Any takers?
If you google it is showing up on a lot of sites.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3410448/Now-Saudi-Arabia-bans-CHESS-Muslim-cleric-outlaws-game-waste-time-encourages-gambling.html

w

Moves
04 Sep 16

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3410448/Now-Saudi-Arabia-bans-CHESS-Muslim-cleric-outlaws-game-waste-time-encourages-gambling.html
Critical thinking skills seem to be shunned in Islam.

It is just self preservation on his part.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Sep 16
1 edit

The modern news industry consists of passing around stories with catchy headlines. The factual content of the story is irrelevant. Clicks are what pays. Readers like you that love catchy headlines just perpetuate the problem.

F

Moves
04 Sep 16

Originally posted by whodey
Critical thinking skills seem to be shunned in Islam.
Are you sure? I interact with dozens of Muslims with critical thinking skills which are evidently far, far superior to yours just about every single day of my working life. I'm not sure what intellectual qualifications you think you have that enable you to generalize about what's happening "in Islam". Perish the thought that being a far right misanthrope, pumped up on speed-read screeds on confirmation-bias hate blogs, and access to this message board, are the only qualifications you have. 🙄

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
07 Sep 16

People bet on games.

F

Moves
07 Sep 16

This was discussed on the General Forum earlier this year I think.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
Are you sure? I interact with dozens of Muslims with critical thinking skills which are evidently far, far superior to yours just about every single day of my working life. I'm not sure what intellectual qualifications you think you have that enable you to generalize about what's happening "in Islam". Perish the thought that being a far right misanthrope, pumped ...[text shortened]... tion-bias hate blogs, and access to this message board, are the only qualifications you have. 🙄
I'd be interested in hearing what you think your qualifications are.

F

Moves
07 Sep 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
I'd be interested in hearing what you think your qualifications are.
Qualifications for what? Working with Muslims? Or for not reducing "Islam" to a thing that can be subjected to a ludicrously condescending generalization.

If you agree with whodey's Trump-like assertion that "Critical thinking skills seem to be shunned in Islam" then just say so.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
Qualifications for what? Working with Muslims? Or for not reducing "Islam" to a thing that can be subjected to a ludicrously condescending generalization.

If you agree with whodey's Trump-like assertion that "Critical thinking skills seem to be shunned in Islam" then just say so.
Had some said that Christians lacked critical thinking skills would you go out of your way to call it a ludicrously condescending generalization?

F

Moves
07 Sep 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Had some said that Christians lacked critical thinking skills would you go out of your way to call it a ludicrously condescending generalization?
Of course. I have lived - and live - among Christians all my life. Many of them have greater critical thinking skills than me, and certainly superior to the ones you display here. I have said more or less the same thing to you before - within about the last week or so - in response to more or less the same question. I said it directly to you. It was a direct response to what was, for all intents and purposes, exactly the same question. Do you really not remember?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Sep 16

I imagine Saudi grandmasters will beat a hasty retreat to Dubai.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
10 Sep 16

I love you guys discussing the merits of critical thinking and at the same time doing exactly the opposite by constantly attacking each other rather than the subject at hand.

Bloody morons. The lot of you.