Thou Shalt Not Kill

Thou Shalt Not Kill

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
12 Jun 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
Life is a dream
Karoly, Karoly, Karoly, Karoly
Life is but a dream.

edit: Let me guess. You don't know that song either. 😞

Moves
12 Jun 18
2 edits

Originally posted by @suzianne
This is patently unfair.

You don't know these women or their circumstances, yet you would judge them by one aspect of their lives they may have had less-than-perfect control of. The RCC is against all forms of contraception, claiming that this circumvents "God's will". And that's only one example.

Many women are perfectly capable of running their own lives. How about if we leave them to it without the blanket condemnation?
It’s most certainly not unfair and I am only addressing your point about “choice”, not the plethora of vague “circumstances”.

Women have “choice” they have the choices I made in my previous post.

To say they don’t have choice is blatantly false and to generalise and conflate the minority of women who had “circumstances” such as rape or mental illness or whatever, with the wider population of women who have abortions because they made the wrong “choices” is ridiculous and completely skews the truth of the matter.

Moves
12 Jun 18

Yes, choice. Do you deny that men have freedom of choice in every, single aspect of their lives? So should women.

And yes, consequences come as a direct result of choices. This is as it should be. People on the far-right keep demanding that women "grow up", and yet then they try to deny them the sovereignity that is every adult's right.
This entire post by you is a just one big deflection.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Jun 18

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
Were they in prison together or did he kill him when the rapist got out?
A free serial child rapist was murdered . The offender served 8 years

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Jun 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
You surprise me.

Hypothetically speaking, do you think it is morally acceptable for a god to torture unbelievers in hell?
That question is not apllicable to my belief system. My answer would be useless here

Moves
13 Jun 18

That question is not apllicable to my belief system. My answer would be useless here
It’s a hypothetical situation, no need to be furtive.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Jun 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
Karoly, Karoly, Karoly, Karoly
Life is but a dream.

edit: Let me guess. You don't know that song either. 😞
Yes, i think I've quoted that song 2 or 3 times

However others have said that

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Jun 18

It’s a hypothetical situation, no need to be furtive.
I dunno. I like to draw my meaning from real life.
I'm sure that paedophile felt like he was in hell awhile

Moves
13 Jun 18

I like to draw my meaning from real life.
And yet here you are, posting in a spirituality forum.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Jun 18

And yet here you are, posting in a spirituality forum.
Yes, yes I am.

I think I get your point but did you catch mine? I'm not big on hypotheticals unless it's a creative narrative

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Jun 18

<<My answer would be useless here>>

And exactly how is that unusual? Seems like the norm unless the question is, “Why can’t we get some spam in this thread?”

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Jun 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
<<My answer would be useless here>>

And exactly how is that unusual? Seems like the norm unless the question is, “Why can’t we get some spam in this thread?”
FML

I regret ever talking to you

Moves
14 Jun 18

Originally posted by @chaney3
When is it okay to break this commandment?

Abortion?
War?
Self defense?

Does our society rationalize killing to make it okay, despite what the Bible says?
This question really becomes mute when one understands what the Hebrew actually says. English translations that translate it as 'kill' misrepresent the Masoretic text horribly.

ratsach, "to murder" is Strong's Hebrew 7523. It does not mean just to kill, Hebrew has a word for that, harag, Strongs number 2026. Therefore, to translate Exodus 20:13 as "Thou shalt not kill" is a misrepresentation of the text. It should rightly be translated, "Thou shalt not murder."

Now, of course, that brings questions up like - what constitutes murder?

Is self-defense murder? The Scriptures would imply no. Exodus 22:2 reads, "If a thief is found breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there shall be no bloodguilt for him." This passage is widely recognised as the passage which provides the basis for self defense. John Locke and others spoke of self-defense as a natural right.

Abortion - Scripturally speaking abortion is murder. Again, Exodus 21:22-27 provides an excellent reference for the sanctity of the unborn life -
When men strive together and hit a pregnant woman, so that her children come out, but there is no harm, the one who hit her shall surely be fined, as the woman's husband shall impose on him, and he shall pay as the judges determine. But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe

There are other passages to go to for abortion. One passage I think of is Luke 1:39-44,
In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a town in Judah, and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, and she exclaimed with a loud cry, 'Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For behold, when the soudn of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.

Elizabeth would have been perhaps around 6 months pregnant with John the Baptist here and Mary would have been just recently pregnant (in her first trimester for sure and possibly in her first couple weeks). What is fascinating about this passage is a 6 month old baby recogized, through the Spirit, the presence of his God who was likely in embryo form. Life at 6 months and life in the early weeks.

Just War Theory is a secular philosophical notion primarily. Scripture certainly condones just war, God sends Israel into Canaan (a war), God wages wars on behalf of Israel (e.g. Exodus 17, etc.).

Just a few thoughts

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
14 Jun 18
1 edit

There is no malice in [abortion], and thus, not murder.
I disagree. In all but a couple of extreme situations, the preggo Mommy is malicious as hell. "This is MY body and I regret creating you! Die die die die die!" And the icing on the cake is, many times it's combined with, "And the damned taxpayers should pay for it. It's not my fault or responsibility if I get drunk and knocked up by some stranger I don't care about."

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Jun 18
1 edit

FML

I regret ever talking to you
I think you meant to type FMF and not FML, no?

PS Weren’t you the guy a few weeks back who started an entire thread about me, claiming I was possessed by a demon, when I never interacted with you?

Don’t play with matches, champ.