There is injustice in the universe

There is injustice in the universe

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
30 Sep 22

There is injustice in the universe. About this, I think there is no dispute. But why do some people believe that the indisputable fact there is injustice in the universe means there MUST indisputably be some sort of supernatural justice?

Moves
01 Oct 22

@fmf said
There is injustice in the universe. About this, I think there is no dispute. But why do some people believe that the indisputable fact there is injustice in the universe means there MUST indisputably be some sort of supernatural justice?
I’m not sure how there can be injustice without a judicial benchmark.

F

Moves
01 Oct 22

@divegeester said
I’m not sure how there can be injustice without a judicial benchmark.
Well, unsolved crimes would be one "benchmark" of injustice.

People being executed or imprisoned for things like their ideas or thoughts or beliefs or ethnicity would be another benchmark.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
18 Oct 22

@fmf said
Apparently a just universe doesn't register with you. You accept the idea of a universe where injustice exists,(indisputably) but your cognitive powers run into a wall imagining the existence of a just universe where evil doesn't exist.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
18 Oct 22

@josephw said
Apparently a just universe doesn't register with you. You accept the idea of a universe where injustice exists,(indisputably) but your cognitive powers run into a wall imagining the existence of a just universe where evil doesn't exist.
I’m sure everyone can ‘imagine’ a just universe just as they can imagine a dragon that breathes flowers instead of fire but none of the above are demonstrably in existence.
Only people are unjust in their actions, the universe can only seem subjectively unjust.
The asteroid that allegedly wiped out the dinosaurs left the field open for the evolution of mammals. From the dinosaurs subjective viewpoint the universe could be seen as unjust but in reality it was nothing personal.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
18 Oct 22
1 edit

@fmf said
I would suggest that without a universally accepted set of laws, the definition of the term "injustice" is pretty hazy.

As the old saying goes: "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter"

F

Moves
19 Oct 22

@mchill said
I would suggest that without a universally accepted set of laws, the definition of the term "injustice" is pretty hazy.
It's ok by me if you don't think there is injustice in the world or if your definition of injustice is hazy or if you can't answer my question without there being "universally accepted set of laws". It's ok. I have a knack of coming up with questions you can't or don't want to address.

F

Moves
19 Oct 22

@josephw said
Your cognitive powers run into a wall imagining the existence of a just universe where evil doesn't exist.
I don't have any "cognitive" problem whatsoever with imagining "the existence of a just universe where evil doesn't exist".

F

Moves
19 Oct 22

@josephw said
Apparently a just universe doesn't register with you.
The question is why do you believe there MUST indisputably be some sort of supernatural justice?

F

Moves
19 Oct 22
2 edits

@josephw said
You accept the idea of a universe where injustice exists

I accept that there are murderers and rapists, for example, that never get caught or prosecuted. I accept that "life sucks" in this way. Speculation about whether they are punished in some way after they die does not affect the fact that there are those who don't get caught or prosecuted and it "sucks".

OAa

Moves
19 Oct 22

@kevcvs57 said
The asteroid that allegedly wiped out the dinosaurs left the field open for the evolution of mammals. From the dinosaurs subjective viewpoint the universe could be seen as unjust but in reality it was nothing personal.
That's simplifying and putting it mildly. The history of our planet involves torture and hellish places. Add to the asteroid a decline of the food chain and volcanic activity that contributed to the dinosaurs' demise (https://www.space.com/dinosaur-extinction-volcanoes-aided-asteroid-impact). Reality isn't JUST confined to science

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
19 Oct 22

@kevcvs57 said
I’m sure everyone can ‘imagine’ a just universe just as they can imagine a dragon that breathes flowers instead of fire but none of the above are demonstrably in existence.
Only people are unjust in their actions, the universe can only seem subjectively unjust.
The asteroid that allegedly wiped out the dinosaurs left the field open for the evolution of mammals. From the d ...[text shortened]... rs subjective viewpoint the universe could be seen as unjust but in reality it was nothing personal.
Well kev, my comment was directed at FMF's assertion that the universe is undisputedly unjust.

The universe, matter, has no mind with which to make unjust actions.

But there is a mind that directs the course of nature.

That's the dispute here.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
19 Oct 22

@fmf said
You accept the idea of a universe where injustice exists

I accept that there are murderers and rapists, for example, that never get caught or prosecuted. I accept that "life sucks" in this way. Speculation about whether they are punished in some way after they die does not affect the fact that there are those who don't get caught or prosecuted and it "sucks".
But why do some people believe that the indisputable fact there is injustice in the universe means there MUST indisputably be some sort of supernatural justice?

If there was no justice, then you wouldn't know there is injustice.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
19 Oct 22
4 edits

@fmf said
It's ok by me if you don't think there is injustice in the world or if your definition of injustice is hazy or if you can't answer my question without there being "universally accepted set of laws". It's ok. I have a knack of coming up with questions you can't or don't want to address.
It's ok by me if you don't think there is injustice in the world or if your definition of injustice is hazy

It's OK by me also, but that's only part of what I wrote. You're skipping over the part about laws. With laws, justice can be clearly defined, without them, the definition of justice (or injustice) is meaningless since there is no basis with which to judge anyone's actions. I know it's fun to cherry pick selected parts someone's post here, but sometimes you have to look at the whole post - even if it's not what you want to accept... 😏

Moves
19 Oct 22
1 edit

It's unfortunate that humans are so articulate, particular, and elaborate in their objections to perceived injustices, when compared to little furry squeezebox kitties indicating their own objections.