Theist logic

Theist logic

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
10 Jan 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
It was a little joke; don't be soooooooooooo touchy.

Bigfoot 3:16 Humans funny.
You tried to make a point with it, and so I offered my opinion. Who’s being touchy?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jan 06

We can prove the world ain't flat by observation, but there's no proof ever possible that there is no God. What reason do you have to justify that you are not wrong (assuming you say there is no God)?
I may well be wrong - I accept that. I said 'I do not believe in god' not 'I believe there is no god', there is a difference. In science we have this concept, that of Occams razor. Basically, the razor cuts away all the 'intellectual fat' that would accumulate otherwise. O/R basically states that we should accept the simplest plausible answer that accounts for the observed data. In the case of the universe, I see physical and chemical laws as sufficient in themselves to explain the way the universe is (by and large, there are still things that are being worked upon, such as the 'Theory of Everything' in physics). Therefore, without the necessity of god to explain things, the most parsimonious argument is that, for me at least, there is no requirement to incorporate god into my model.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
I may well be wrong - I accept that. I said 'I do not believe in god' not 'I believe there is no god', there is a difference. In science we have this concept, that of Occams razor. Basically, the razor cuts away all the 'intellectual fat' that would accumulate otherwise. O/R basically states that we should accept the simplest plausible answer that a ...[text shortened]... ment is that, for me at least, there is no requirement to incorporate god into my model.
As you state, Occam's Razor is a scientific concept. It has little value in metaphysics.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
10 Jan 06

The question is, how do you differentiate between the existance or non-existance of either bigfoot or god.

Your answer is that you use no logical distinction - only belief. For 500 years people believed the world was flat. They were wrong. What reason do you have to justify that you are not wrong?
The question is, how do you differentiate between the existance or non-existance of either bigfoot or god.

Your answer is that you use no logical distinction - only belief.

No, that is not my answer. My answer is that proof needs to be sought after in order to be found.

For 500 years people believed the world was flat. They were wrong. What reason do you have to justify that you are not wrong?

When the polio virus was plaguing America, did the scientists give up because there was no proof of a cure? No, they applied themselves and found the cure.

Trouble is plaguing this world much like a disease. Our logic has only made it worse. If people lived the way God intended us to live, most of the trouble would be gone.

Matt 22:37-39 Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

If people just followed this one little passage and rejected everything else that religion/spirituality has to offer, the world would be a much better place. What better reason is there?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 06

Originally posted by The Chess Express
Because that’s what the scientists have told me. The body shuts down and that’s it. Are you a scientist? Do you believe that there are no atheistic scientists out there who would argue emphatically that there is no afterlife?

It’s my belief that science will prove one day that there is an afterlife, and science and religion will converge.
The fact that a small minority of scientists might argue a certain position does not mean that science itself takes such a position. It does not. Your argument is fallacious.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
10 Jan 06
1 edit

The fact that a small minority of scientists might argue a certain position does not mean that science itself takes such a position. It does not. Your argument is fallacious.
Last I checked the Christian scientists were in the minority. How do you know that only a “small minority” of scientists would argue that there is no afterlife? How do you know that the majority wouldn’t in fact argue this?

What a load of tosh. Humans ARE just horrendiously complex chemical reaction. Believe noone that tells you otherwise.

It seems that the scientists who “leave the question open” take an atheistic position by default. According to science without the chemical reactions of a body, there can be no consciousness, hence no afterlife.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 06
2 edits

[b/]Last I checked the Christian scientists were in the minority. How do you know that only a “small minority” of scientists would argue that there is no afterlife? How do you know that the majority wouldn’t in fact argue this?

What a load of tosh. Humans ARE just horrendiously complex chemical reaction ...[text shortened]... nce without the chemical reactions of a body, there can be no consciousness, hence no afterlife.
You're ignorance and arrogance is typical. Are you saying that only "Christian" scientists can believe in an afterlife? How about Muslim scientists? Or Hindu scientists? Do they count?

You made a claim; get some numbers to back your claim up. It's rubbish.

Please actually read my posts since you continue to be confused over what science does; it's takes no position on metaphysical issues.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jan 06

Last I checked the Christian scientists were in the minority. How do you know that only a “small minority” of scientists would argue that there is no afterlife? How do you know that the majority wouldn’t in fact argue this?

[b]What a load of tosh. Humans ARE just horrendiously complex chemical reaction. ...[text shortened]... nce without the chemical reactions of a body, there can be no consciousness, hence no afterlife.
I believe what #1 was referring to is that the majority of scientists would argue that there is no evidence of an afterlife rather than there is no afterlife. It's impossible to test, so a good scientist would only make the first statement and would be overstretching with the second.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 06
1 edit

I believe what #1 was referring to is that the majority of scientists would argue that there is no evidence of an afterlife rather than there is no afterlife. It's impossible to test, so a good scientist would only make the first statement and would be overstretching with the second.
No, that is NOT what I am saying. The majority of scientists so far as I know DO believe in an afterlife and always have. They just believe the question is outside of science and hence not subject to scientific proof. Saying there is "no evidence of an afterlife" is an incorrect statement and an overstretch.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
10 Jan 06

You're ignorance and arrogance is typical. Are you saying that only "Christian" scientists can believe in an afterlife? How about Muslim scientists? Or Hindu scientists? Do they count?

You made a claim; get some numbers to back your claim up. It's rubbish.

Yes, they count. As usual you find it impossible to have a debate without your ignorance and arrogance coming out.

You made a claim; get some numbers to back your claim up. It's rubbish.[/b]

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jan 06

No, that is NOT what I am saying. The majority of scientists so far as I know DO believe in an afterlife and always have. They just believe the question is outside of science and hence not subject to scientific proof. Saying there is "no evidence of an afterlife" is an incorrect statement and an overstretch.
I disagree. I have seen no (credible) evidence of an afterlife. As C/E quotes me as saying there is no physical or chemical basis for an afterlife.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 06
3 edits

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
10 Jan 06

http://www.disf.org/en/home.asp

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jan 06

I disagree. I have seen no (credible) evidence of an afterlife. As C/E quotes me as saying there is no physical or chemical basis for an afterlife.
Don't move the goalposts; it's either NO evidence or not.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
10 Jan 06

Are you recanting this statement?

What a load of tosh. Humans ARE just horrendiously complex chemical reaction. Believe noone that tells you otherwise.

We all know that spirits don’t rely on chemical reactions, only the physical does. If you believe what you said then you’re say that there is no afterlife.

Perhaps the more accurate position of science is that there is no afterlife until proven otherwise. Would you accept this?