The Purpose Driven Atheist

The Purpose Driven Atheist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jul 18

The meaning of the life of an atheist is ___________ ?

F

Moves
10 Jul 18

Originally posted by @sonship
As far as I am concerned, it's the same as the meaning of the life of a theist.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Jul 18
2 edits

One imitation.

Anyone else ?

F

Moves
11 Jul 18

One imitation.

Anyone else ?
It's not an "imitation", sonship. It's a commonality.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Jul 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Believing, as I do, that God does not exist, I would go further and say there is 'more' meaning in the life of an atheist, not less. A theist has 'fabricated meaning' while an atheist (liberated from such fabrications) has 'tangible meaning' based on such realities as procreation, survival, and happiness.

F

Moves
11 Jul 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Believing, as I do, that God does not exist, I would go further and say there is 'more' meaning in the life of an atheist, not less. A theist has 'fabricated meaning' while an atheist (liberated from such fabrications) has 'tangible meaning' based on such realities as procreation, survival, and happiness.
Yes, I can see what you mean.

However I think the "meaning" of people's lives is mainly defined and delineated by the impact they have on others and the impact others have on them, as opposed to things they imagine or believe about themselves.

So I think the "meaning" of a person's life, in practical and 'tangible' terms, is not directly affected by whether they are theists or atheists.

Moves
11 Jul 18
1 edit

The meaning of the life of an atheist is up to that atheist.

(...just as the meaning of the life of a theist is up to that theist.)

Planet Rain

Moves
12 Jul 18
3 edits

For me: To come to understand, as much as possible, the universe and the nature of existence by all humanly attainable mathematical and mystical means while practicing kindness day by day.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @soothfast
For me: To come to understand, as much as possible, the universe and the nature of existence by all humanly attainable mathematical and mystical means while practicing kindness day by day.
Thankyou for your explanation of something like a driving purpose.

No real argument from me. I'm pretty much just observing responses (with some recollection).

F

Moves
12 Jul 18
1 edit

Thankyou for your explanation of something like a driving purpose.

No real argument from me. I'm pretty much just observing responses (with some recollection).
No real argument from me.

People with all manner of beliefs have been discussing meaning and purpose in life for as long as I have been here. Do you really think you might have a "real argument" against what other people describe as meaning and purpose in their lives? If your religiosity renders you so self-absorbed and so self-important that you think you can, it ought to give you some pause for thought.

S. Korea

Moves
12 Jul 18

So what do you think we thunk our purpose is?

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

Originally posted by @philokalia
So what do you think we thunk our purpose is?
Couldn't you be bothered to read the posts on this page?

I think the meaning and purpose of people's lives - atheists, theists alike - are mainly defined by the impacts they have on others and the impacts others have on them whether it be as individuals or in groups. If things they imagine or believe about themselves happen to animate them to have or feel these impacts, so be it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 18

[b]No real argument from me.

People with all manner of beliefs have been discussing meaning and purpose in life for as long as I have been here. Do you really think you might have a "real argument" against what other people describe as meaning and purpose in their lives? If your religiosity renders you so self-absorbed and so self-important that you think you can, it ought to give you some pause for thought.[/b]
Sounds likes you're more absorbed with me than I am.

You gave you glib few.
Now let some others write their views.

F

Moves
12 Jul 18
1 edit

Sounds likes you're more absorbed with me than I am.
You mean I replied to a post in this conversation?

Are you pouting again, sonship?

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

You gave you glib few.
"Glib"?