The NT Application of the Canaanite Conquest

The NT Application of the Canaanite Conquest

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Ah, the classic PC canard, that all one has to do is come to evil with your pure intention and they will naturally fall in line and suddenly believe.

The real world, under the sway of evil, is not like that. But keep dreaming.
Were the Canaanites warned in any way before they were slaughtered for having "false Gods" according to the Hebrews?

w

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
Were the Canaanites warned in any way before they were slaughtered for having "false Gods" according to the Hebrews?
We have the example of the spies in Jericho. The prostitute in the city hid them because she believed that the God of the Hebrews was greater and would conquer the city. This tells us that they knew who the Hebrews were and who their God was and had the capacity to chose him.

Of course, just imagine trying to change people's minds about what they believe. Just spend a few hours on this sight to get a good taste.

Then we have the example of the Hebrews who began to worship other Gods. we know for certain that they were warned numerous times about the folly of their actions, but ignored it. Then other nations were allowed to conquer them. Was this genocide as well? According to those on this sight, I reckon it was.

F

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by whodey
We have the example of the spies in Jericho. The prostitute in the city hid them because she believed that the God of the Hebrews was greater and would conquer the city. This tells us that they knew who the Hebrews were and who their God was and had the capacity to chose him.
That was all that your Hebrew God figure did to give these non-Hebrews the opportunity to convert to the Hebrews' religion and so avoid being slaughtered? Something about some spies and prostitutes?

F

Moves
16 Nov 14

Of course, just imagine trying to change people's minds about what they believe.
Your Hebrew God figure did not have the ability to make the Canaanites believe in Him, in your view?

F

Moves
16 Nov 14

Then other nations were allowed to conquer them. Was this genocide as well?
If their opponents tried to wipe them out, men, women and children, and not just their military forces in the process of conquering them, then yes it was genocide or attempted genocide, of course.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by sonship
The concept of "crossing Jordon" has traditionally been applied to dying or going to heaven. But some of us feel that the analogy doesn't fit.

When the Israelites entered cross Jordon to enter into Canaan they had battles with the occupants to fight. This does not match going to heaven where no Christians expect any enemies to be there to fight.

So ...[text shortened]... hing else to the Christian. And it must be [i]fought
for to enjoy.

What would that be?[/b]
I have always viewed the crossing of the river as symbolic of entering into the new life of Christ's salvation. Actually I don't know anyone (Christian) who thinks otherwise.

w

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
Your Hebrew God figure did not have the ability to make the Canaanites believe in Him, in your view?
They believed in him, because we are told that the people of Jericho feared him.

So as we can see, believing in him does little for ya.

w

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by divegeester
I have always viewed the crossing of the river as symbolic of entering into the new life of Christ's salvation. Actually I don't know anyone (Christian) who thinks otherwise.
Egypt was symbolic of sin as God was bringing them out of sin. First there was the parting of the Red Sea, and then later on the parting of the Jordon.

How do we differentiate between the two?

F

Moves
16 Nov 14

They believed in him, because we are told that the people of Jericho feared him.

So as we can see, believing in him does little for ya.
Was the Hebrew God unable to make the Canaanites believe in Him rather than their supposedly "false Gods"?

Z

Moves
16 Nov 14
1 edit

I've mentioned this in another thread and have gotten jumped on by the "Tribe of PC".

Man cannot judge God. Man and God cannot be held to the same standards. It is proven only man can be capable of genocide. Obviously when ordered by God, it cannot be called 'genocide', there are other words in nearly every language to describe what is going on here i ...[text shortened]... de' for it because our poor understanding of God, and our penchant for judging Him, deems it so.
genocide, in it's definition, doesn't care who performs it or who ordered it or whether it was justified.

we, the entire humanity, have decided that genocide is always evil and it is NEVER justified.

the conquest of canaan as described in the bible is genocide. and it is an evil and abominable act and should be condemned. if god ordered it, then god is evil as well and unworthy of our love.

the purging of humanity during the noah flood, as described in the bible is genocide. humans were killed indiscriminately, innocent or not, children, women, men, elders, all were killed in an act of evil. if it is true that god ordered it, (it is not, the flood never happened) then god is evil and unworthy of our love.

if god is as portrayed in the old testament, we are all scrwd. and he is evil

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Nov 14
3 edits

John ends his epistle of First John with - "Little children, guard yourselves from idols." (1 John 5:21)

This verses seemed sudden to me. Nothing else in the letter discusses idols - seemingly. But the previous verse 20 helps to understand what idols are.

Idols are whatever replaces and usurps the preeminence of the true God and Him whom He has sent - Jesus Christ.

"And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding that we might know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.

Little children, guard yourselves from idols."

Idols then is anything or matter which replaces in the believers - the true God and Him who He has sent Jesus Christ. This is a revelation of the Triune God. To be in "Him who is true" is to be "in His Son Jesus Christ." So the whole realm of the true God and Him whom He has sent, Jesus Christ is "eternal life".

Whatever takes the place of this realm, having more importance to the Christians is an idol. Living in the realm of the true God and Jesus Christ Whom He has sent is "eternal life". - "This is the true God and eternal life."

No one, nothing, no thing, no affair must compete with living in this realm, living in the Father and the Son as divine life. So John follows the word with "Little children, guard yourselves from idols."

The picture we have in the Old Testament is God commanding that the worship centers of the nations be torn down as they enter Canaan.

Deuteronomy 12:2-4 - "You shall completely destroy all the places where the nations whom you will disposes have served their gods, on the high mountains and on the hills and under every flourishing tree.

And you shall tear down their altars and crush their pillars; and their Asherahs you shall burn with fire, and the idols of their gods you shall cut down; and you shall destroy their name from that place.

You shall not do so to Jehovah your God. "

Idols left standing would be a snare to the children of Israel.

And though lovers of Jesus may own and have many things, no thing should usurp the true God in our hearts as to become an idol. The thoroughness is towards the believers' own hearts.

Our promise land is the whole realm of the true God and Jesus Christ - "Him who is true". "THIS" is the true God and eternal life. To be "in Him who is true; in His Son Jesus Christ". This Person, this Triune Person, this living sphere and realm is the true God, is eternal life.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Nov 14
1 edit

A Hymn on Christ Himself as the Christians' all in all

Not the law of letters,
But the Christ of life
God desires to give us,
Saving us from strife;
It is not some doctrine,
But tis Christ Himself
Who alone releases
From our sinful self.

Any kind of teaching,
Any kind of form,
Cannot quicken spirits
Or our souls transform;
It is Christ as Spirit
Gives us life divine,
Thus through us to live the
Life of God's design.

Not philosophy nor
Any element
Can to Christ conform us
As His complement;
But tis Christ Himself who
All our nature takes
And in resurrection
Us His members makes.

Not religion, even
Christianity,
Can fulfill God's purpose
Or economy;
But tis Christ within us
As our all in all
Satisfies God's wishes
And His plan withal.

All the gifts were given
By the Lord in grace,
All the different functions
Cannot Christ replace.
Only Christ Himself must
Be our all in all!
Only Christ Himself in
All things, great or small!

[Hymns #541, LSM, words by Witness Lee ]

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Nov 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Read my post again and again, and even more slowly, again if you don't understand it.

Asking the same question again and again will only result in the same answer again and again, so, rather than ask me to re-type it, surely you can just go back and read my answer again for the exact same result.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
If this is the best you can do for a "reasonable" solution, you should probably quit now, while you're not that far behind the rest of the class.

Do you really think belief and obeisance and obedience can be forced? Maybe that's how your God works, but that's not how my God works.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
17 Nov 14

I've mentioned this in another thread and have gotten jumped on by the "Tribe of PC".

Man cannot judge God. Man and God cannot be held to the same standards. It is proven only man can be capable of genocide. Obviously when ordered by God, it cannot be called 'genocide', there are other words in nearly every language to describe what is going on here i ...[text shortened]... de' for it because our poor understanding of God, and our penchant for judging Him, deems it so.
You keep making this claim that God and Man cannot be compared or held to the same standard. Why do you think this? I've asked you before but you never answer.

Here's me asking a few days ago:

Why not? I have a bunch of virtue concepts like 'compassionate', 'honest', 'respectful', etc. I know what these concepts refer to and how to apply them to the motivations and actions of agents. If a man, moved by the suffering of another, acts to mitigate that suffering, the concept 'compassionate' seems to apply. If God, moved by our suffering, acts to mitigate it, the concept 'compassionate' seems to apply. What's the problem here?

Please explain.