The meaning of the cross

The meaning of the cross

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Feb 16

The meaning of the cross, then.

The old life is terminated. The power of this terminating is located only IN the Spirit of Jesus Christ. To partake of Christ as the Holy Spirit is to allow this killing, terminating action to "put to death the practices of the body" .

So some may be puzzled. Is something killed or is in process of being killed ?

The old man, Paul says, died with Christ.
The old independent Adamic man alienated from the life of God, died with Christ.
The experiencing of this truth can only be enjoyed in the Holy Spirit.

Once it is experienced, the new man utilizes the Spirit to put to death the practices of the body.

You may have heard of detergents that are said to be Biodegradable.
It means that in the detergent are agents which eat away unwanted elements in the soiled clothing.

We may coin a new word - Zoedegradable. (Zoe being a Greek word for divine life).
In the Holy Spirit - in the Spirit of Jesus Christ there are elements which eat away at "germs" in the fallen man we inherited from Adam.

The divine life of Jesus DEGRADES and BREAKS DOWN bad habits, germs, sinful thoughts, sinful inclinations and motives in the corrupted soul. Christ is like a detergent taken into our being with Zoedegradable characteristics to transform the personality.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
25 Feb 16

Originally posted by sonship
You may have heard of detergents that are said to be Biodegradable.
It means that in the detergent are agents which eat away unwanted elements in the soiled clothing.

Your stupidity is on display for all to see.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Feb 16

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Your stupidity is on display for all to see.
This kind of ridicule will not work on me.
I am quite willing to appear foolish on behalf of the Son of God Who died, bloody, beaten, whipped, naked for me that I might be saved from my sins.

I rejoice that I might be considered worthy to be thought stupid for my experience of the effectiveness of His indwelling and salvation work in my being.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Feb 16
2 edits

When a man under God's light comes to the realization that he cannot reform himself, or self improve himself, or turn over a new leaf, or try harder next time, or exercise some kind of self improvement to come up to God's standard of righteousness, he is overjoyed to see Jesus is everything and anything he needs.

There is that which is in the sinner that can only be killed off and replaced by the Holy Spirit. And the cross does that work. Its work is in the influence of the Holy Spirit.

"But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of Christ, through which the world is crucified to me and I to the world." (Gal 6:14)

"I am crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me ... " (Gal. 2:20a)

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
26 Feb 16

I am quite willing to appear foolish on behalf of the Son of God Who died, bloody, beaten, whipped, naked for me that I might be saved from my sins.

I rejoice that I might be considered worthy to be thought stupid for my experience of the effectiveness of His indwelling and salvation work in my being.
You are not foolish on behalf of anyone save yourself.

And I do not think you stupid for your "experience of the
effectiveness of His indwelling .... etc."

I do think you are stupid using "biodegradeable" as a metaphor
when you clearly do not know the meaning of the word.:

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
26 Feb 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I don't think you really understand what a non sequitur is.
Non sequitur is Latin, meaning "it does not follow". It explains what you wrote perfectly.

Fighting for menโ€™s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Feb 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Non sequitur is Latin, meaning "it does not follow". It explains what you wrote perfectly.
Even in one of sonships threads all you seem to do is find someone to throw a punch at.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
26 Feb 16

Originally posted by divegeester
Even in one of sonships threads all you seem to do is find someone to throw a punch at.
"All" I seem to do? I assure you that this forum is not "all" I do.

I was replying to Robbie. I did not invite comment from you. Just because I do not insult people and then schmooze with them in crap GF threads doesn't mean I cannot reply to people who try to smear me with insignificant sound bytes. Like you.

You're sounding more like FMF every day. I'd have that looked at if I were you.

Fighting for menโ€™s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Feb 16

ah very cleaver, i see what you did there...๐Ÿ™„

F

Moves
26 Feb 16

I was replying to Robbie. I did not invite comment from you. Just because I do not insult people and then schmooze with them in crap GF threads doesn't mean I cannot reply to people who try to smear me with insignificant sound bytes. Like you.

You're sounding more like FMF every day. I'd have that looked at if I were you.
Audio version for the blind: "Blamm! Crash! Smackk! Boinng! Biff! Bash!" ๐Ÿ˜ต

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Feb 16
1 edit

I do think you are stupid using "biodegradeable" as a metaphor
when you clearly do not know the meaning of the word.:

Maybe I don't know that much about biodegradable.

You don't know anything about how Jesus Alive and Available to be known. And once the Lord Jesus comes into your heart, the old sad life of sin can be broken down, degraded, defaced and replaced by a life pleasing to God.

And you shiver at the very thought of receiving Jesus as Lord because you probably realize that it would change your life SOMEHOW. I use to have a similar reaction to the mention of the name Jesus.

Notice how some think it safer to refer to "JC" ?

ZOEDEGRADABLE will work just fine for now as a little analogy. I don't claim my metaphors are infallible.

ZOE is the divine life in Greek. BIO means the physical life in Greek. Psuche is the soul life, the mental life. All three Greek words translate to life in the English NT.

When the divine life, the ZOE in Jesus comes into your heart, you will change. One can delay the process. One can slow the process. But you will change. And you are headed into the image of the One who has saved you and has taken up His home in your innermost spiritual being.

This you can take to the bank. This you can be certain of.

Now what are you certain of, if I am so stupid? You know neither where you came from nor where you are going. And you get mad because the Bible reveals where you came from, why you are here, and into what you could be changed if you received Christ as your Lord and Savior.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
27 Feb 16

Maybe I don't know that much about biodegradable.

Why use it as an analogy then?

At the very least laziness - don't you care enough about JC to present a decent argument? ๐Ÿ˜ž

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Feb 16
2 edits

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
27 Feb 16

better

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Feb 16

Originally posted by FMF
Audio version for the blind: "Blamm! Crash! Smackk! Boinng! Biff! Bash!" ๐Ÿ˜ต
Yes, insignificant sound bytes, thank you for the demonstration.