The Gospel

The Gospel

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
Check the new (edited) link:

http://www.tektonics.org/qt/smithlr01.html

http://www.tektonics.org/af/annix.html
Hilarious.

"From this two things are clear: The first, whch Hanson fails to report, is that Phaedo is a dialogue between persons; it is not Plato reporting his own views. Second, what is clearly being discussed is reincarnation. The bottom line is that Plato is giving someone's own point of view on a subject, so to lay it against what is reportedly his view ("eternal intoxication" -- which from what I can gather, may come from Plato's Republic if anywhere), or to try to combone the two statements, is simply dishonest or else woefully incompetent."

Like Plato sat there taking notes while they were talking...What scholars you have chosen as your mentors.

And then,

"One of L' Ray's peeves seems to be the idea of "eternal torture" -- we do happen to agree (though we arrived at the conclusion via sound scholarship, not merely emotion, as L. Ray did) with the view that "torture" is not found at all in the Bible as the eternal fate of the wicked."

Ha ha.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 Mar 06

I don't [b]want a hell to be there. I just know deep down inside that there is a hell. I believe it is by revelation of the Holy Spirit.

A time came in my life where I knew that if I died in my present condition I would go straight to hell. I knew that I deserved it. It was at that point that I cried out to God to have mercy on me and to save me f ...[text shortened]... But I wish to warn those who have not repented from their sin, as I believe hell is a reality.[/b]
Honest answer--thanks. Now, what's your way of telling when Jesus is using metaphors and when not?

L

Moves
15 Mar 06

[b]Why do you want there to be a hell, dj? What's your way of telling when Jesus is using metaphors and when not?

I don't want a hell to be there. I just know deep down inside that there is a hell. I believe it is by revelation of the Holy Spirit.

A time came in my life where I knew that if I died in my present condition I would go straig ...[text shortened]... But I wish to warn those who have not repented from their sin, as I believe hell is a reality.[/b]
A time came in my life where I knew that if I died in my present condition I would go straight to hell. I knew that I deserved it.

So in your opinion, one can be deserving of eternal punishment? What conditions are sufficient for one to be deserving of eternal pain and torment?

Moves
15 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Hilarious.

"From this two things are clear: The first, whch Hanson fails to report, is that Phaedo is a dialogue between persons; it is not Plato reporting his own views. Second, what is clearly being discussed is reincarnation. The bottom line is that Plato is giving someone's own point of view on a subject, so to lay it against what is reportedly s not found at all in the Bible as the eternal fate of the wicked
."

Ha ha.[/b]
Try to read everything before you crack up...

From the second link:http://www.tektonics.org/af/annix.html

One must face the fact that eternal punishment is taught in the Bible, and deal with it. Whether you choose to do so with acceptance, or by means of paste and scissors, is up to you. Exegeting it out of existence is not a viable option.

Moves
15 Mar 06
1 edit

Honest answer--thanks. Now, what's your way of telling when Jesus is using metaphors and when not?
I believe that the Bible should not just be read as any other book. As the Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit, it can can truly be interpreted by the help of the Holy Spirit.

The correct method of biblical interpretation can only be accomplished by interpreting the Bible with the Bible itself. God has laid down a pattern and design, throughout His Word, which tells an age-old story of who put us in this world, how we got here, who we are, and where we are going. God also shows us who He is, how the human race has fallen from God's grace, and how God's plan of grace is designed to recover a remnant of fallen man.

See:http://spiritualbiblestudies.com/

God's pattern for telling His story is varied among spiritual nuggets embedded throughout the pages of the Holy Bible. God, in speaking to humanity, tells an ongoing story that is simplified, much the way a parent would explain a complicated story to his young children. In so doing, God uses means of parables, metaphors, allegories, symbols and more in which to tell His story. Many passages in Scripture hold more than a literal or one-time meaning. God often assigns two, perhaps three or more layers of interpretation to many portions of Scripture.

Only by searching the Scriptures (John 5:39) can one truly redeem his time.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
15 Mar 06

I believe that the Bible should not just be read as any other book. As the Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit, it can can truly be interpreted by the help of the Holy Spirit.

The correct method of biblical interpretation can only be accomplished by interpreting the Bible with the Bible itself. God has laid down a pattern and design, throughout His Wor ...[text shortened]... of Scripture.

Only by searching the Scriptures (John 5:39) can one truly redeem his time.
The Spirit decodes the Bible for you? That would be unbelievers are completely incapable of understanding it.

Wouldn't that make you a self-admitted secret decoder ring Christian?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 Mar 06

Try to read everything before you crack up...

From the second link:http://www.tektonics.org/af/annix.html

[b]One must face the fact that eternal punishment is taught in the Bible, and deal with it. Whether you choose to do so with acceptance, or by means of paste and scissors, is up to you. Exegeting it out of existence is not a viable option.
[/b]
Seems Christians disagree among themselves:

http://www.thercg.org/questions/p127.a.html

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
The Spirit decodes the Bible for you? That would be unbelievers are completely incapable of understanding it.

Wouldn't that make you a self-admitted secret decoder ring Christian?

Nope. The Spirit can decode the Bible to anybody. I personally know of plenty of people who used to rip pages out of the Bible to smoke pot with.

They just happened once to read a part of a verse, which can able to convict them of sin and lead them to repentence.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 Mar 06

Nope. The Spirit can decode the Bible to anybody. I personally know of plenty of people who used to rip pages out of the Bible to smoke pot with.

They just happened once to read a part of a verse, which can able to convict them of sin and lead them to repentence.
Lying is a sin, dj.

L

Moves
15 Mar 06

[b]The Spirit decodes the Bible for you? That would be unbelievers are completely incapable of understanding it.

They just happened once to read a part of a verse, which can able to convict them of sin and lead them to repentence.[/b]
😵🙄

Maybe the pot helped them decipher the Bible's hidden messages.

But staying on topic, how is it again that one may be deserving of eternal punishment, pain, torment, and hellfire? How exactly would such a conception be compatible with God's other purported attributes?

Moves
15 Mar 06

Seems Christians disagree among themselves:

http://www.thercg.org/questions/p127.a.html
That is why there is an element of revelation involved.

Those that seek the truth with all their hearts will find it.

That is what happened to me. Thus the side-line bickering does not affect me at all. I know the truth and the truth set me free from sin.

I don't know of anyone that has been set free from their sin, that does not beleive in hell.

It is the easiest thing in the world to explain something away, by whatever means. Atheists and Agnostics are masters at this. But this is simply to shadow their guilt.

The only way of finding to truth is if you are willing to face the truth square on. Ducking and diving will never lead anyone to the truth.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
15 Mar 06

Is smoking pot is a sin?

Moves
15 Mar 06

Lying is a sin, dj.
You don't have to believe me...

But the story I related is true.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 Mar 06

You don't have to believe me...But the story I related is true.
It would be easier to believe you if you hadn't lied here before. But really, smoking joints with pages from the Bible...I've never once met a dopehead who was that desperate. Or do you mean the story is true even though it didn't happen? That is quite possible, in that you have invested it with a metaphorical significance.

"Seek and ye shall find". We share that belief at least.

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by LemonJello
😵🙄

Maybe the pot helped them decipher the Bible's hidden messages.

But staying on topic, how is it again that one may be deserving of eternal punishment, pain, torment, and hellfire? How exactly would such a conception be compatible with God's other purported attributes?
But staying on topic, how is it again that one may be deserving of eternal punishment, pain, torment, and hellfire?

I can only talk out of personal experience...

I felt that the main reason why I deserved it was because of my rebellion and disobedience towards God.

Another reason was because I had been spurning the great love that he was showing me and because I was crucifying the Son of God afresh each time I sinned by chosing to worship Satan rather than God.