"The God of my understanding"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
14 Aug 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
So now you are going to AA meetings. That's a good start. Of course, their 12-step program for beating addiction has been widely hailed as really the only proven way to beat addiction. But you're doomed to failure if you continue to drink. Stay in touch with your sponsor, especially in the first few weeks and at least until you satisfy all 12 steps. Cal ...[text shortened]... r you. The work you do between meetings is crucial and necessary. Keep at it. It IS worth it.
Well done!

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
14 Aug 15

Originally posted by vistesd
Well done!
Yes. On the other hand, Suzianne does have the ability to reach through the Internet and strike a note of reality and express what this forum should really be about.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Aug 15

Originally posted by divegeester
An excellent chess player with a varied and largely agreeable taste in music who is a dab-hand with various imaging software. A tenaciously loyal man with a large community of friends and associates and who is much more intelligent than his silly persona here portrays.
And, frankly speaking, I'm not sure I could have written anything like this about Robbie.

Yeah, maybe I need to work on "turning the other cheek".

Moves
14 Aug 15

And, frankly speaking, I'm not sure I could have written anything like this about Robbie.

Hey, shouldn't you already be proficient in that?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Aug 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Hey, shouldn't you already be proficient in that?
It's kind of a long story, hehe.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. You know...

F

Moves
15 Aug 15

Personally, I think you let yourself down with the number of your posts that are basically substance-free and deal instead in your rather dreary scorn and supposed 'outrage'.

Moves
15 Aug 15

Originally posted by FMF
Personally, I think you let yourself down with the number of your posts that are basically substance-free and deal instead in your rather dreary scorn and supposed 'outrage'.
But that post itself was rather dreary and scornful. Were you being ironic?

F

Moves
15 Aug 15

But that post itself was rather dreary and scornful. Were you being ironic?
I think she let's herself down. I see potential for her to be better. I think it was a message with some positivity and hope rather than scorn. πŸ˜‰

Moves
15 Aug 15

Originally posted by FMF
I think she let's herself down. I see potential for her to be better. I think it was a message with some positivity and hope rather than scorn. πŸ˜‰
Positivity and hope buried so deep it would take Bugs Bunny himself to excavate.

F

Moves
15 Aug 15

Positivity and hope buried so deep it would take Bugs Bunny himself to excavate.
People around here need faith.

Moves
15 Aug 15

Originally posted by FMF
No. that's the last thing people need.

c

Moves
15 Aug 15

So now you are going to AA meetings. That's a good start. Of course, their 12-step program for beating addiction has been widely hailed as really the only proven way to beat addiction. But you're doomed to failure if you continue to drink. Stay in touch with your sponsor, especially in the first few weeks and at least until you satisfy all 12 steps. Cal ...[text shortened]... r you. The work you do between meetings is crucial and necessary. Keep at it. It IS worth it.
I am NOT currently going to AA meetings.....but, I have gone to many, many AA meetings in the past.....which obviously did not work for me. I am well versed in the 12 steps of AA, which require COMPLETE dependence upon the 'God of your own understanding' to help you recover from alcoholism.....and this is why AA did not work for me.

AA requires that you admit 'powerlessness' over your addiction, and that NO human power can help you....only God can. He is your power. In the beginning phases of AA, it somewhat worked, because it revived a God in my life, that I had been ignoring for years.

My dilemma: It became clear to me that ONLY God could help me.....but I often wondered.....WHY will God help me to quit drinking....yet, allow brutal rapes of children, or murders of innocent people, or veterans of all war to lose limbs, or die? It became clear to me that I needed God to help me....yet, He seemingly does NOT help so many others. I was left with a sense of "I am on my own". I lost the belief that God cares about ME. Why should He? Why am I more important than the millions of others who need Him too.....yet, get NO help whatsoever?

My dilemma is faith: I believe in a Creator, and am NOT at all convinced that this Creator involves Himself in human affairs.

One cannot 'work' the 12 steps of AA with this dilemma, because a person needs 100 percent reliance upon 'their God' to succeed....and, I don't have that.

I am currently sober....and trying to be honest.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Aug 15

Originally posted by FMF
The ones who need it the most are the ones rejecting it. Funny how that works.

F

Moves
15 Aug 15

Originally posted by googlefudge
No. that's the last thing people need.
Whoosh.

F

Moves
15 Aug 15

The ones who need it the most are the ones rejecting it. Funny how that works.
Whooosh.