The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
23 Jul 07

Originally posted by josephw
Yes, something went wrong. But it wasn't God's doing.

I'm curious. You're an atheist. You reject the bible story as just fiction. Why do you even argue about it? What's more, why do I argue about it if I know we'll get nowhere? This is nuts!
Are you saying that there are things that happen in the universe that do not have god as an ultimate cause? So there is causal agent that is independent from god?

Yes, I reject the bible stories as fiction. The reason I argue about them is because evangelical christians think I should believe them as fact, and that their beliefs deserve greater legal recognition than anyone else's. They must be battled and defeated.

w

Moves
23 Jul 07

Originally posted by rwingett
Are you saying that there are things that happen in the universe that do not have god as an ultimate cause? So there is causal agent that is independent from god?

Yes, I reject the bible stories as fiction. The reason I argue about them is because evangelical christians think I should believe them as fact, and that their beliefs deserve greater legal recognition than anyone else's. They must be battled and defeated.
To your battle stations soldier!! 😠

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
23 Jul 07

Originally posted by josephw
Within the context, God hardened an already hard heart.
There are about 20 passages in the bible that say, very clearly, that it was god who hardened Pharaoh's heart. It was god who caused Pharaoh to act the way he did. It's quite clear that god didn't want Pharaoh to let the Israelites go peacefully. He caused Pharaoh to oppose him so he would have an excuse to display his might. As Dawkins observed, it's the type of action more typical of a spiteful bully than an almighty god.

w

Moves
23 Jul 07
4 edits

There are about 20 passages in the bible that say, very clearly, that it was god who hardened Pharaoh's heart. It was god who caused Pharaoh to act the way he did. It's quite clear that god didn't want Pharaoh to let the Israelites go peacefully. He caused Pharaoh to oppose him so he would have an excuse to display his might. As Dawkins observed, it's the type of action more typical of a spiteful bully than an almighty god.
Perhaps displaying his might had a greater purpose than what we are able to reason? God has his purposes even though we are not always privy to them.

Another possibility is that it was a type of judgement over the Egyptian empire for holding the Israelites captive for some 500 years the whole time in which they were subjected to bruttle slave labor. God forbid he should judge them for that.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
23 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
Perhaps displaying his might had a greater purpose than what we are able to reason? God has his purposes even though we are not always privy to them.

That was sooner than I had expected to be honest. Now do you guys see why I haven't been around for while?

w

Moves
23 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by telerion
[b]Perhaps displaying his might had a greater purpose than what we are able to reason? God has his purposes even though we are not always privy to them.

That was sooner than I had expected to be honest. Now do you guys see why I haven't been around for while?[/b]
Honestly? No. 😛

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
23 Jul 07

Honestly? No. 😛
In the old days I would have given a rec to the first poster who can explain it to you. Good to hear from you again. 🙂

w

Moves
23 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by telerion
In the old days I would have given a rec to the first poster who can explain it to you. Good to hear from you again. 🙂
Yes, same here. I have missed you as well. :'(

As far as an explanation goes, if I am able to figure it out on my own will you req me?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
23 Jul 07

Another possibility is that it was a type of judgement over the Egyptian empire for holding the Israelites captive for some 500 years the whole time in which they were subjected to bruttle slave labor. God forbid he should judge them for that.
Perhaps? Are you guessing? Are you just making it up as you go along? Perhaps he really is a spiteful bully who has no greater purpose.

It's also quite clear that the bible endorses slavery, regardless of whether it was "bruttle" or not.

w

Moves
23 Jul 07
4 edits

It's also quite clear that the bible endorses slavery, regardless of whether it was "bruttle" or not.[/b]
Well then, there is slavery and then there is slavery. For example, perhaps I am a slave to my job? The Bible does permit slavery but not in the way it was imposed in Eygpt. Mosaic slavery was simply a way for those how had not means to survive. Slaves had rights and slaves were allowed to go free after so many years of service. The Mosaic law simply did not entertain any type of wealth distribution that was not worked for. However, those who had nothing always had a means through which to live even if it ment working for food/shelter. Perhaps all that my job affords me is being able to pay the rent and feed myself? If so, am I a slave?

Illinois

Moves
23 Jul 07
3 edits

Personally, I have no problem with Richard Dawkins. He is a bright, engaging fellow, who doesn't seem to take himself too seriously. I don't sense any high-mindedness in his rhetoric, as he seems to be a genuine skeptic (i.e. an atheist without the emotional baggage), which gives him a certain level-headedness his more spiteful and hateful brethren lack tackling the subject of God. Of course, there is nothing original in his assertions, but they are timely.

For myself, I don't see what the big deal is. His book is essentially an embellishment of what a Christian already knows, that "faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen" (Heb. 11:1). Richard Dawkins, of course, cannot understand why people believe because he has never tasted the assurances of faith, and so he calls faith the only thing he can, a delusion, and sets about explaining it away as best he can. All of which is no surprise.

I respect Dawkin's intelligence and scholarship, and I would only fault him if I thought his bold assertions weren't arrived at in complete ignorance of the assurance which genuine faith in God provides. Without being familiar with the presence of God filling one's spirit, which believers enjoy, Dawkins could not be expected to arrive at any other conclusion than what he has.

"Whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him" (Heb. 11:6).

w

Moves
23 Jul 07

[b]Perhaps? Are you guessing? Are you just making it up as you go along? Perhaps he really is a spiteful bully who has no greater purpose.
Is this the same bully who died for me on the cross? If so, then I would have to conclude a firm NO!!!

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
23 Jul 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
We are talking about God, correct? The same God if you take
scripture as is, setup the universe which includes all the laws of
nature and physics as well. All will die, the full human race is
under bondage of sin and death and no one however young is
immune to death, be they 1 hour or 80 years old, none of us is
promised tomorrow you are acting as if G ...[text shortened]... as given us life in the first
place let alone setup the life expectancy of all life too.
Kelly
If you think it's okay, you have no morals.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
23 Jul 07

Perhaps ordering the first born of the Israelites killed first? What did they do to deserve that? Does'nt anyone here recall why Moses was set adrift in a basket? Hello?
God deigned it, of course.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
23 Jul 07

Yes, same here. I have missed you as well. :'(

As far as an explanation goes, if I am able to figure it out on my own will you req me?
Sure.