The Central Tenet of the Gospel of Jesus Christ

The Central Tenet of the Gospel of Jesus Christ

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Yes, I know about your fixation on "belief". But there needs to be evidence of it, right? It has to translate into good works and an end to or avoidance of willful "sin", yes? Belief without evidence of it is not enough, correct?
I’m really not interested in arguing with you. I think my position is pretty clear, not only here but in numerous other threads where I’ve said the same thing.

If it’s not clear to you, my apologies; I can’t make it any clearer.

F

Moves
15 Mar 18

FMF: "Yes, I know about your fixation on "belief". But there needs to be evidence of it, right? It has to translate into good works and an end to or avoidance of willful "sin", yes? Belief without evidence of it is not enough, correct?"

Originally posted by @romans1009
I’m really not interested in arguing with you. I think my position is pretty clear, not only here but in numerous ot ...[text shortened]... ’ve said the same thing.

If it’s not clear to you, my apologies; I can’t make it any clearer.
I'm not interested in you arguing with me either. Three yes-or-no questions indicated by words ":...right?" "...yes?" "...correct?" They regard the following words you used: belief, works, evidence and sin. Three answers would be as clear as clear can be. You can plead being "not interested" if you want to. You doing so will mean whatever people think it means.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 18

I'm not interested in you arguing with me either. Three yes-or-no questions indicated by words ":...right?" "...yes?" "...correct?" They regard the following words you used: belief, works, evidence and sin. Three answers would be as clear as clear can be. You can plead being "not interested" if you want to. You doing so will mean whatever people think it means.
It means I’m not interested in being interrogated by you, especially since I suspect your motive is trolling.

The answers to your questions are as clear as day in the posts I’ve already written. If you don’t see them, my apologies. I can’t make my position any clearer.

F

Moves
15 Mar 18
1 edit

It means I’m not interested in being interrogated by you, especially since I suspect your motive is trolling.

The answers to your questions are as clear as day in the posts I’ve already written. If you don’t see them, my apologies. I can’t make my position any clearer.
So, you seem to be saying that belief without evidence of it is not enough. The evidence indicates sincerity. This is what you seem to believe. So, does the person who unilaterally declares themselves "saved" also decide how much or how little "evidence" of 'good works' and aversion to sin" is enough?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 18

So, you seem to be saying that belief without evidence of it is not enough. The evidence indicates sincerity. This is what you seem to believe. So, does the person who unilaterally declares themselves "saved" also decide how much or how little "evidence" of 'good works' and aversion to sin" is enough?
This is why I’m not going to discuss this with you. You misrepresent what I’ve said and what I believe and you do it consistently.

People don’t “unilaterally declare themselves saved.” I’ve never said that and it’s not true. People are saved based on God’s promises in the Bible in John 3:16 and Romans 10:9 - not because they declare themselves saved.

Once they sincerely and genuinely believe in Jesus Christ, they are saved.

God’s Holy Spirit then indwells them and begins to change their heart and, consequently, their behavior.

There is no uniform number of good works a saved person must do as evidence he or she is saved. It depends on the person’s circumstances and how damaged they were when they accepted Christ.

Each believer’s walk with Christ is unique. You can’t reduce it to a one-size-fits-all mathematical formula. Just as your relationship with every other person you know is unique, so is Jesus Christ’s relationship with believers.

F

Moves
15 Mar 18

People don’t “unilaterally declare themselves saved.” I’ve never said that and it’s not true. People are saved based on God’s promises in the Bible in John 3:16 and Romans 10:9 - not because they declare themselves saved.
You've described yourself as "saved", have you not? If I am not mistaken, you have also described this state of being "saved" as being irrevocable, even by God. Have I got what you've claimed wrong?

F

Moves
15 Mar 18

Once they sincerely and genuinely believe in Jesus Christ, they are saved. God’s Holy Spirit then indwells them and begins to change their heart and, consequently, their behavior.
No "evidence" of this change ~ no changed behaviour, no 'good works' etc. ~ no "salvation" right?

F

Moves
15 Mar 18

There is no uniform number of good works a saved person must do as evidence he or she is saved. It depends on the person’s circumstances and how damaged they were when they accepted Christ.
I am not aware of anyone who has suggested that there is. But here's a question: can there be 'not enough'? Or if a person describes themselves as "saved" can they also describe whatever they want, however much of it or little of it, as being the "evidence" that they "accepted Christ"?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 18

You've described yourself as "saved", have you not? If I am not mistaken, you have also described this state of being "saved" as being irrevocable, even by God. Have I got what you've claimed wrong?
Just as I suspected. You’re only interested in trolling.

But I will say, since you may legitimately be confused, God is the One who set the criteria for salvation and who decided salvation was unconditional - not me.

So I’m not saying the state of being saved is irrevocable - that is what God says in the Bible.

F

Moves
15 Mar 18
1 edit

But I will say, since you may legitimately be confused, God is the One who set the criteria for salvation and who decided salvation was unconditional - not me.
You've described yourself as "saved", have you not?

F

Moves
15 Mar 18

So I’m not saying the state of being saved is irrevocable - that is what God says in the Bible.
So you would describe yourself as irrevocably "saved"?

F

Moves
15 Mar 18

God is the One who set the criteria for salvation and who decided salvation was unconditional - not me.
Have you fulfilled the criteria in terms of your sincerity and the supposed resulting changed behaviour and other evidence?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 18

No "evidence" of this change ~ no changed behaviour, no 'good works' etc. ~ no "salvation" right?
We’ve had this conversation before. You don’t remember?

A saved person will exhibit good works and an aversion to sin. How long that takes and the pace of progression depends on the person’s circumstances and how broken they were when they accepted Jesus Christ. Every person’s situation is unique.

You can’t reduce it to, John Doe didn’t do a good work in two days - he’s not saved! Or, Jane Doe’s still smoking after two days - she’s not saved!

Jesus Christ meets the new believer wherever he or she is and in whatever circumstance he or she is in and God’s Holy Spirit indwells the new believer and begins to change his or her heart. How quickly that is reflected in outward behavior depends on each individual’s circumstance and brokenness when they accepted Christ.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 18

If you want to discuss doctrine with me, I’m happy to do it, but I’m not going to respond to personal questions or subject myself to your jackhammer interrogation.

F

Moves
15 Mar 18

A saved person will exhibit good works and an aversion to sin.
And if they don't?