The Bible

The Bible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
16 Jul 17
2 edits

Originally posted by chaney3
You are a fake Christian.

Yourself and FMF are excluded from my thread.
Why is FMF excluded? It doesn't look like FMF is taking much notice of your rules. How are you going to police this strategy?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Jul 17
1 edit

There are endless examples of cultures that date back thousands of years before the Bible was written, that have stories that seem to have been 'taken' by Bible writers.

The Egyptians and Sumerians are but two examples.
The way I view most of this is that it not at all means the Bible is not the truth from God.

Now think about it a bit. If the first man - Adam passed on to his descendants what he knew about his own creation and relationship with God, it is not surprising that subsequent generations received the story and embellished it for colloquial purposes.

That the true account was eventual written down, having been passed on orally, it is understandable that by that time various versions were showing up around the world. These were all descendants of Adam and of the eight people coming off of the ark.

Many varied versions of a great flood with a few divinely ordained survivors found in many cultures should not surprise me to think Genesis was a copy from them.

Varied tales do indeed appear in ancient history. The question to ask is "Who copied who?"

Who copied and varied and embellished (adjusting details) ... who ?
You assume that Moses is imitating in his writing of the oral traditions upon which early Genesis is told.

How about Genesis is the faithful account from God's servant and the Epic of Gilgamesh is the colloquial embellishment to the ancient account of one of the offshoot cultures of the world's first people ?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
16 Jul 17

Originally posted by sonship
The way I view most of this is that it not at all means the Bible is not the truth from God.

Now think about it a bit. If the first man - Adam passed on to his descendants what he knew about his own creation and relationship with God, it is not surprising that subsequent generations received the story and embellished it for colloquial purposes.

That ...[text shortened]... bellishment to the ancient account of one of the offshoot cultures of the world's first people ?
Problems arise of course sir when it is understood we evolved as a species, and that biblical characters such as Adam are allegorical. (He was not 'the first man.' )

How can an allegory pass on anything to its descendants? (Including original sin).

w

Moves
16 Jul 17
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Problems arise of course sir when it is understood we evolved as a species, and that biblical characters such as Adam are allegorical. (He was not 'the first man.' )

How can an allegory pass on anything to its descendants? (Including original sin).
Allegories can be used to teach a general lesson, much like the story of the Prodigal son.

However, there are those who think the teachings are literal with the addition of not conflicting with known science.

Here is an example.

Of course, there are still those who thinks that if their understanding of Genesis conflicts with science, then science must be wrong. They are a dwindling breed.

c

Moves
17 Jul 17

It should be clear that many flaws exist with the Bible.

The primary flaw is believing that the nature of 'God' is told.

There is NO way that 'God' is a petty, angry, jealous, person as portrayed in our Bible.

When will you people wake up?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Jul 17
1 edit

It should be clear that many flaws exist with the Bible.

The primary flaw is believing that the nature of 'God' is told.

There is NO way that 'God' is a petty, angry, jealous, person as portrayed in our Bible.

When will you people wake up?
I don't agree with you at all about your opinion slandering God's character.
This is after about forty six years of reading the Bible and experiencing the God personally conveyed in its pages.

From the first the Bible imparted spiritual life to me and communion with Christ. I barely have time to dive into all the unsearchable treasures of wisdom in God's word.

It is not at all appetizing to have to put this feast on hold and go off and spend years on Horus, Osiris, and Zeus mythology just for proud sense that I am familiar with all that mythology. The word of God imparts God to me, brings me into communion with my Father, and gives life - divine spiritual life.

I want to stay on the path of the rich spiritual life the Bible conveys. Some little diversion to find out about mythology is ok. I am not going to leave this feast to waste the rest of my life's time on that distraction, though it may have a show of knowledge.

To the question of why do I trust the Bible? Mainly because it brings me into contact with the living God.