1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 01:44
    What place does striving have in your approach to life?
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 06:57
    @fmf said
    Historical.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 07:24
    @hakima said
    Historical.
    Meaning you are now at the point of cruising, consolidating, savouring?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 11:21
    @fmf said
    Striving is the key to happiness in this life. Here is a passage from Proverbs about a hardworking, industrious, God-fearing woman. The same applies to men. Its about getting things done, helping the needy, being fair, honest and truthful. God likes people who live like that, and this is the reason why I think God favoured certain people in the bible above others.

Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar. She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens. She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard. She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night. She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff. She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy. She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet. She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple. Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land. She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant. Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. (Proverbs 31:10-30 KJV)
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 11:46
    @fmf said
    A big element for me, although only in certain aspects of my life.

I can slob out with the best of slobbers one week and be tearing around being competitive and strivey the next.
  6. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 14:54
    @fmf said
    Meaning you are now at the point of cruising, consolidating, savouring?
    Not always completely, but when I don't, I don't crucify myself anymore.

"What a long, strange trip it's been..."
    ~Robert Hunter
  7. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 16:48
    In my experience, striving is not productive at all. It involves overthinking, worry, "spinning my wheels", appearing busy yet getting nothing done. I become like Martha, whom Jesus gently admonished. I do not think that her sister, Mary did nothing to prepare for Jesus' arrival to their home that day. Mary had simply completed her tasks and was fully present for the best part of the day.

In my profession, which is completely about service and essentially of a spiritual nature, it is all too easy to become lost in the striving and the thinking and the worrying. When I do that, I am of no sevice at all. When I cease to strive and simply do (thank you, Yoda), I am able to be present to the work ahead and joyfully celebrate the wonderful progress of my clients.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Aug '19 10:27
    @rajk999 said
    Striving is the key to happiness in this life. Here is a passage from Proverbs about a hardworking, industrious, God-fearing woman. The same applies to men. Its about getting things done, helping the needy, being fair, honest and truthful. God likes people who live like that, and this is the reason why I think God favoured certain people in the bible above others.

Who ...[text shortened]... beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. (Proverbs 31:10-30 KJV)
    Thank you
    Good verse
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    17 Aug '19 11:20
    @fmf said
    It depends on what one is striving for.

Meaning, one can approach life with the purpose of obtaining this world goods, which will perish, or one can strive to obtain those things that have eternal value.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Aug '19 13:22
    @hakima said
    In my experience, striving is not productive at all. It involves overthinking, worry, "spinning my wheels", appearing busy yet getting nothing done. I become like Martha, whom Jesus gently admonished. I do not think that her sister, Mary did nothing to prepare for Jesus' arrival to their home that day. Mary had simply completed her tasks and was fully present for the best part ...[text shortened]... am able to be present to the work ahead and joyfully celebrate the wonderful progress of my clients.
    Well said.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Aug '19 21:54
    @hakima said
    In my experience, striving is not productive at all. It involves overthinking, worry, "spinning my wheels", appearing busy yet getting nothing done. I become like Martha, whom Jesus gently admonished. I do not think that her sister, Mary did nothing to prepare for Jesus' arrival to their home that day. Mary had simply completed her tasks and was fully present for the best part ...[text shortened]... am able to be present to the work ahead and joyfully celebrate the wonderful progress of my clients.
    Striving that leads to confrontation or stress is probably not the best thing. Not striving if it leads to complacency or laziness is also not the best thing. Those who aim for middle ground would benefit from a greater productivity and personal accomplishments.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Aug '19 22:58
    @rajk999 said
    Striving that leads to confrontation or stress is probably not the best thing. Not striving if it leads to complacency or laziness is also not the best thing. Those who aim for middle ground would benefit from a greater productivity and personal accomplishments.
    Good post.
    It was refreshing to read something from you that didn't involve good works.

😀
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 01:04
    @chaney3 said
    Good post.
    It was refreshing to read something from you that didn't involve good works.

😀
    Here is one. Striving towards good works and righteousness is the key to the Kingdom of God, although not many can do it. You can tell how desperately Christians around here are trying to deny its importance

Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them, Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. (Luke 13:23-24 KJV)
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 01:34
    @rajk999 said
    Here is one. Striving towards good works and righteousness is the key to the Kingdom of God, although not many can do it. You can tell how desperately Christians around here are trying to deny its importance

Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them, Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. (Luke 13:23-24 KJV)
    The following is true:
    "The only “requirement” is that Christ died and rose again. In the former we have atonement and in the latter we have life. Everything else is superfluous."

Therefore any efforts that you may make are superfluous.

Therefore Luke 13:23-24 is not about any efforts that you may make.

You over stated something, and added to the Word you used.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 01:41
    @thinkofone said
    The following is true:
    "The only “requirement” is that Christ died and rose again. In the former we have atonement and in the latter we have life. Everything else is superfluous."

Therefore any efforts that you may make are superfluous.

Therefore Luke 13:23-24 is not about any efforts that you may make.

You over stated something, and added to the Word you used.
    Lol .. some people had their brain removed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree