1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 10:40
    @secondson said
    It depends on what one is striving for.

Meaning, one can approach life with the purpose of obtaining this world goods, which will perish, or one can strive to obtain those things that have eternal value.
    People need to approach life with the purpose of obtaining "this world's goods" so they can raise their families.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 15:11
    @fmf said
    People need to approach life with the purpose of obtaining "this world's goods" so they can raise their families.
    Obviously!

"What place does striving have in your approach to life?" That was the question you posed in your OP.

And now you're going to try and tell me how people "need" to approach life and with what "purpose".

You've rocketed off into space, changed the tenor of the discussion and started an argument.

My reply to your question in the OP was only to express my view relative to "striving" by delineating between two opposing world views, which is, by all rights, the fundamental nature and purpose of this forum.

In the aggregate, in my opinion, my "approach" to life, in the sense of "striving", is twofold. In one sense I strive to work hard to procure the material things necessary for physical wellbeing. That is the practical approach. It's a given, but it is temporal.

On the other hand, and where we part company, is the striving for those things related to the spiritual and eternal.

The discussion relative to the division between the material and spiritual is where you short circuit cognitively because the spiritual, or supernatural, doesn't resonate with the mentality of what the Bible calls the "natural man". 1 Corinthians 2:14

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 00:48
    @secondson said
    My reply to your question in the OP was only to express my view relative to "striving" by delineating between two opposing world views, which is, by all rights, the fundamental nature and purpose of this forum.
    Isn't it a bit silly to treat a topic like this in such an 'it's either this or it's that' kind of way?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 00:50
    @secondson said
    Obviously!
    So you agree that people - many people, most people, almost all - need to approach life with the purpose of obtaining "this world's goods" so they can do things like providing food and shelter families, educate their children etc., right?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 00:54
    @secondson said
    In the aggregate, in my opinion, my "approach" to life, in the sense of "striving", is twofold. In one sense I strive to work hard to procure the material things necessary for physical wellbeing. That is the practical approach. It's a given, but it is temporal.
    You said "It depends on what one is striving for" and then offered a black and white dichotomy. I seem to have nudged you into being a bit more sensible.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 00:58
    @secondson said
    On the other hand, and where we part company, is the striving for those things related to the spiritual and eternal.
    How would you categorize striving to be better at one's job [for example] in cases where more money was not the aim or outcome - and instead, promoting the wellbeing of others is the motivation? Say an educator or as a nurse or doctor, or as - say - a human rights advocate?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 16:161 edit
    @fmf said
    What place does striving have in your approach to life?
    Striving only means you have a pulse.

Which hill do you want to die on is the only question?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 23:53
    @whodey said
    Striving only means you have a pulse.
    OK, but what place does striving have in your approach to life?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '19 05:15
    In order to be "saved", should Christians strive to obey Christ's commandments and do good works to demonstrate that their faith is not "dead"?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '19 06:26
    @secondson said
    the striving for those things related to the spiritual and eternal.
    What do you believe is the nature and substance of that kind of "striving"?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '19 19:091 edit
    @fmf said
    OK, but what place does striving have in your approach to life?
    You strive against anything that does not conform to your own perceived needs and desires.

This means striving against man, God, nature, and your own will to conform it to others or to God when needed.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '19 21:04
    @whodey said
    You strive against anything that does not conform to your own perceived needs and desires.

This means striving against man, God, nature, and your own will to conform it to others or to God when needed.
    Can you give examples of you "striving against God"?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '19 03:241 edit
    @fmf said
    Can you give examples of you "striving against God"?
    Praying for a love one dying of cancer only to watch them die.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '19 04:25
    @whodey said
    Praying for a love one dying of cancer only to watch them die.
    How is that an example of you "striving against God"?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '19 05:07
    It's always difficult to tell whether the omni-contemptuous whodey is simply prattling facetiously, or whether he is actually trying to say something genuine and grown-up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree