Speculation about Supernatural Things

Speculation about Supernatural Things

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
08 Jan 22
1 edit

Does forming and holding beliefs based on speculation about supernatural causality, beings and pheonema too often lead to "intellectual" bubbles and cul-de-sacs?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 22

@fmf said
Does forming and holding beliefs based on speculation about supernatural causality, beings and pheonema too often lead to "intellectual" bubbles and cul-de-sacs?
Your OP’s a non-starter (and wrong) because it assumes people believe in God and His involvement in their lives based on “speculation.”

You said you were a Christian for what 40 years, and you never experienced God’s involvement in your life? You never felt God’s presence and comfort in your life?

To what degree did you seek God and seek His comfort and presence during your alleged 40+ years of being a Christian?

Or is this all an Internet con?

F

Moves
08 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
You said you were a Christian for what 40 years, and you never experienced God’s involvement in your life? You never felt God’s presence and comfort in your life?

To what degree did you seek God and seek His comfort and presence during your alleged 40+ years of being a Christian?
25 years.

F

Moves
08 Jan 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
Your OP’s a non-starter (and wrong) because it assumes people believe in God and His involvement in their lives based on “speculation.”
I think we can but speculate about supernatural things and our assertions rooted therein are sujective. This applies to me too.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 22

@fmf said
I think we can but speculate about supernatural things and our assertions rooted therein are sujective. This applies to me too.
And you sincerely sought God and sought His help and comfort for problems you experienced during 25+ years and never received a response from God?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Jan 22

@fmf said
I don't know and I'll probably never experience what you're talking about because I don't "speculate" about such things anymore. God's presence in my life is real, as is my faith. I've seen too much to think otherwise.

F

Moves
08 Jan 22
1 edit

@suzianne said
God's presence in my life is real, as is my faith. I've seen too much to think otherwise.
I don't dispute your faith is real. I don't dispute that things you have seen make you even more certain about your faith.

You are an annihilationist. Others believe in eternal torture. Do you think both you, and Christians who believe in eternal torture, are in fact speculating about what happens to us after we die?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Jan 22

@fmf said
I don't dispute your faith is real. I don't dispute that things you have seen make you even more certain about your faith.

You are an annihilationist. Others believe in eternal torture. Do you think both you, and Christians who believe in eternal torture, are in fact speculating about what happens to us after we die?
I think my view on this is the only one that makes sense. My God, who has shown me mercy many times, is just not an "eternal torture" kind of God. There's just no reason, except vengeance, to torture souls for eternity. And he IS a merciful God. So I'm just not seeing it.

F

Moves
08 Jan 22

@suzianne said
I don't know and I'll probably never experience what you're talking about because I don't "speculate" about such things anymore.
If you no longer realize that assertions that we humans make about supernatural things are unprovable and are therefore matters of personal faith, then perhaps your ideas regarding these things exist in a kind of bubble or a cul-de-sac.

F

Moves
08 Jan 22

@suzianne said
I think my view on this is the only one that makes sense. My God, who has shown me mercy many times, is just not an "eternal torture" kind of God. There's just no reason, except vengeance, to torture souls for eternity. And he IS a merciful God. So I'm just not seeing it.
So, you concede that both you and Christians who believe in eternal torture are speculating about what might happen to us after death?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 22

@fmf said
So, you concede that both you and Christians who believe in eternal torture are speculating about what might happen to us after death?
<<And you sincerely sought God and sought His help and comfort for problems you experienced during 25+ years and never received a response from God?>>

It says a lot that you avoided this question.

F

Moves
08 Jan 22
2 edits

@pb1022 said
<<And you sincerely sought God and sought His help and comfort for problems you experienced during 25+ years and never received a response from God?>>

It says a lot that you avoided this question.
If you want me to testify about the beliefs I had in the past, you are about 20 years too late. I post here as an agnostic atheist and I am more than willing to discuss my current beliefs.

I will leave the theist willy-waving about how much, how long, how deep, how real, how sure, how true, how sincere, how many sermons, how many prayers, how many experiences, and to what degree etc. etc. to chest-beating Christians.

For you to keep returning to the topic of beliefs I no longer hold, again and again and again and again, suggests you have become stuck in an intellectual cul-de-sac.

Which brings us back to the thread topic.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 22

@fmf said
If you want me to testify about the beliefs I had in the past, you are about 20 years too late. I post here as an agnostic atheist and I am more than willing to discuss my current beliefs.

I will leave the theist willy-waving about how much, how long, how deep, how real, how sure, how true, how sincere, how many sermons, how many prayers, how many experiences, and to what deg ...[text shortened]... s you have become stuck in an intellectual cul-de-sac.

Which brings us back to the thread topic.
Like I said, it says a lot about how you avoided this question:

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 22

@fmf said
If you no longer realize that assertions that we humans make about supernatural things are unprovable and are therefore matters of personal faith, then perhaps your ideas regarding these things exist in a kind of bubble or a cul-de-sac.
You’re wrong.

If the things about God revealed to us through an inerrant source are not believed, on what basis are they not believed?

F

Moves
08 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Like I said, it says a lot about how you avoided this question:

You are stuck in an interpersonal/intellectual cul-de-sac.