Sinners in the Hand

Sinners in the Hand

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
07 Oct 09
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
Murder is a legal term, I'm not quite sure what you are giving apes
credit for.
Kelly
Do you support the death penalty Kelly?

Moves
07 Oct 09

Murder is a legal term, I'm not quite sure what you are giving apes
credit for.
Kelly
Murder is also a moral term. Murder is also a term that describes a specific kind of killing.

Moves
07 Oct 09

Originally posted by daniel58
No God can't commit murder, what at your house? What have you been doing lately?
God can and has, but you'd have to have actually read my posts and not strawman on them. 😛

d

Moves
07 Oct 09

Originally posted by Badwater
God can and has, but you'd have to have actually read my posts and not strawman on them. 😛
God can't sin, period.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
08 Oct 09

Originally posted by menace71
I think we also have to look at the opposite of this. Wulebgr puts forth this sermon which is actually has truth in it.(as vile as it seems) The exception is when one becomes a believer is Christ. Also God would rather a sinner repent than be destroyed. So this Edwards seems to have a distorted view of God. While I agree we are in God's hands He was also missing the part about Christ for sinners slain.

Manny
Touche! "Wulebgr puts forth this sermon which is actually has truth in it." What a novelty!

OTOH, you need to read the whole sermon, if you think that Jonathan Edwards is missing something regarding Christ. Rather, I think the Puritans--Edwards was a Puritan--were the last Americans to really read the Bible well, and to look inward with honesty.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Oct 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Do you support the death penalty Kelly?
Yes
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Oct 09
1 edit

Murder is also a moral term. Murder is also a term that describes a specific kind of killing.
A moral term that is true how and why?
Do really you mean a personal taste term, can you describe the
specific kind of killing of humans where it isn't murder?
Kelly

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
08 Oct 09
1 edit

You need to read the full sermon, Edwards was quite clear about it all,
but he did not sugar coat anything.
Kelly
Where does God ever say anything remotely like this in the bible? Remotely similar to this sermon? Just wanting to know. Guess I better wiki / google this sermon.

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
08 Oct 09

If premeditation is the definition of murder than God has murdered human beings. Taking of another's life? But in legal terms aren't there different levels of murder? Like man slaughter is usually without intent right? I guess however we can argue God alone has this right to take life.

Manny

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Oct 09

If premeditation is the definition of murder than God has murdered human beings. Taking of another's life? But in legal terms aren't there different levels of murder? Like man slaughter is usually without intent right? I guess however we can argue God alone has this right to take life.

Manny
If anyone can define murder anyway they want, what does it matter
one way or another how you attempt to justify or condemn?
Kelly

Cape Town

Moves
08 Oct 09

Murder only applies to humans. I didn't invent the word application, I just use it.
There is really no point arguing over a definition. What matters is that both parties agree on the definition of given words being used, and what the implications are. You do not, as you seem to believe, use the word murder in a perfectly standard way, as there is no such standard. Some people would apply it to lions and apes and some would not. Nobody is right or wrong when doing so.
I personally would use word murder for specifically unlawful killings of humans with a possible addition of lawful killings I believe to be particularly morally wrong - for example killings by a dictator or secret service. I would possibly use it for God if I feel his actions are immoral.

The real question is what implications you believe you can draw when you apply the word. Simply because you choose to use the word with reference to God will not in any way affect whether or not Gods action was morally right or wrong. Definitions do not create facts, they are simply words used to communicate. So the real question is not 'Does God commit murder' but 'when God kills a human being, is he morally wrong.' I personally think that it would depend on the circumstances.

L

Moves
08 Oct 09

Manny
I guess however we can argue God alone has this right to take life.

How would you go about arguing for that?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Oct 09

Originally posted by LemonJello
[b]I guess however we can argue God alone has this right to take life.

How would you go about arguing for that?[/b]
God give life and takes it away, you have anyone else who can do that?
Kelly

Moves
08 Oct 09

A moral term that is true how and why?
Do really you mean a personal taste term, can you describe the
specific kind of killing of humans where it isn't murder?
Kelly
No, I don't mean a personal taste term or I would have said so.

The specific killings of humans where it would not be murder is that which is not premeditated. I'm beginning to see evidence that you don't read my posts - at all.

Moves
08 Oct 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
There is really no point arguing over a definition. What matters is that both parties agree on the definition of given words being used, and what the implications are. You do not, as you seem to believe, use the word murder in a perfectly standard way, as there is no such standard. Some people would apply it to lions and apes and some would not. Nobody is ...[text shortened]... n being, is he morally wrong.' I personally think that it would depend on the circumstances.
Again, I think my definition and description are adequate and applicable. The rest is a bunch of harrumphing, which is to be expected I suppose.