1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '22 10:39
    I'd be interested in this question being discussed from a spiritual, religious, or philosophical point of view rather than how it would be tackled on the Debates Forum ... and it's too serious and gruesome for any other forum.

If the media showed the American people, in graphic detail, on TV, and with the permission of the parents involved, of course, the bodies of elementary school children [in this case] who'd been blown apart, literally, by a mass murderer armed with military-style assault weapons, and did so every time this kind of thing happened, would it shift the gun safety/regulation debate?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '22 10:54
    The person who thumbed down this OP wouldn’t have had the time to read it.

Hilarious 😆
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 May '22 11:05
    @fmf said
    I'd be interested in this question being discussed from a spiritual, religious, or philosophical point of view rather than how it would be tackled on the Debates Forum ... and it's too serious and gruesome for any other forum.

If the media showed the American people, in graphic detail, on TV, and with the permission of the parents involved, of course, the bodies of elementary ...[text shortened]... and did so every time this kind of thing happened, would it shift the gun safety/regulation debate?
    probably it won't. people believe they would have handled the situation better...
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 May '22 11:301 edit
    @fmf said

If the media showed the American people, in graphic detail, on TV, and with the permission of the parents involved, of course, the bodies of elementary ...[text shortened]... and did so every time this kind of thing happened, would it shift the gun safety/regulation debate?
    Why would that make a difference? Everyone agrees murder is bad and seeing that
    would confirm murder is bad, that is it gruesome and horrific, and that those who
    do it should be held accountable.

That is not the discussion when we are talking about with gun rights; it is are we
    able to own a weapon to defend ourselves and shoot for any reason we desire, all
    legally and safely. Lawbidding citizens will do the right thing, while criminals never
    will, no matter the laws we pass, the only thing restricting law bidding citizens do
    from owning guns is allowing those who would harm and abuse others with the
    force of a gun will not run into someone who could end them on the spot before
    the police could be called, let alone arrive in time to stop them.

The horrific actions of a crazed individual or some greedy one who would kill
    you so they could steal or abuse someone is not the same discussion as is murder
    bad, seeing it wouldn't matter towards the end of the gun debate.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 May '22 11:34
    @fmf said

Do you think it would matter or change minds? What if we put camera's so we could
    watch an abortion take place, watching the little bodies being ripped apart while
    alive, or having their heads punctured and brains sucked out or seeing the little
    the body's torn apart so the parts could be sold; think that would change minds?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '22 11:48
    @kellyjay said
    Why would that make a difference? Everyone agrees murder is bad and seeing that
    would confirm murder is bad, that is it gruesome and horrific, and that those who
    do it should be held accountable.
    The topic is not about whether "murder is bad". And the topic is not about whether murderers "should be held accountable". You remind me of Ted Cruz. Have you seen pictures of the bodies of the children?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '22 11:49
    @kellyjay said
    Do you think it would matter or change minds?
    Yes, I think it would change minds about the ease with which people can firearms.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '22 11:50
    @kellyjay said
    What if we put camera's so we could
    watch an abortion take place, watching the little bodies being ripped apart while
    alive, or having their heads punctured and brains sucked out or seeing the little
    the body's torn apart so the parts could be sold; think that would change minds?
    Yes, I do. Absolutely.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '22 11:53
    @kellyjay said
    That is not the discussion when we are talking about with gun rights; it is are we
    able to own a weapon to defend ourselves and shoot for any reason we desire, all
    legally and safely. Lawbidding citizens will do the right thing, while criminals never
    will, no matter the laws we pass.
    You're still on a bit of a tangent. When assault weapons were banned, the number of mass shootings decreased dramatically; and when the ban was rescinded, the number of mass shootings tripled.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 May '22 11:54
    @fmf said
    The topic is not about whether "murder is bad". And the topic is not about whether murderers "should be held accountable". You remind me of Ted Cruz. Have you seen pictures of the bodies of the children?
    You asked if seeing the bodies would change things in the gun debate, and I gave
    you reasons why not, I don't care who you compare me to, that too has nothing
    to do with the things I said.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 May '22 11:56
    @fmf said
    You're still on a bit of a tangent. When assault weapons were banned, the number of mass shootings decreased dramatically; and when the ban was rescinded, the number of mass shootings tripled.
    Any weapon can be classified as an assault weapon; they are designed to
    kill whatever it is too vague a term.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '22 11:571 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Lawbidding citizens will do the right thing, while criminals never
    will, no matter the laws we pass.
    That most people are "law-abiding citizens" is good. They will abide by the laws.

The question is, if people got to see what slaughtered victims of a mass murder look like on their TVs, would enough people want to change the laws that the "law-abiding citizens" would then continue to abide by?

The topic is "seeing death" as opposed to being insulated from really seeing it.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '22 12:00
    @kellyjay said
    Any weapon can be classified as an assault weapon; they are designed to
    kill whatever it is too vague a term.
    The law would classify what "assault weapons" are. Do you think seeing the utter gore caused by AR-15 rounds obliterating the flesh and bones of children on TV could have an effect on what the laws were pertaining to weapons like AR-15s.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '22 12:04
    @kellyjay said
    You asked if seeing the bodies would change things in the gun debate, and I gave
    you reasons why not.
    You didn't give a reason why seeing the bodies would not change the gun debate. You just asserted that it wouldn't, while smothering it in stuff about murder is bad and murderers must be held accountable.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '22 12:07
    @kellyjay said
    I don't care who you compare me to, that too has nothing
    to do with the things I said.
    If the things that the senator from Texas - who speaks on behalf of the gun manufacturers, as you know - has more or less the same talking points as you do, one cannot claim that what he parrots "has nothing to do with the things" you say.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree