Science and God

Science and God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
15 Dec 13

For the sake of argument, if God were to be proven, would it change science in any way?

Would it even change you?

Moves
15 Dec 13

Originally posted by whodey
For the sake of argument, if God were to be proven, would it change science in any way?

Are you asking whether it would change how science is done, or sciences 'results'?

For the first, no it wouldn't change scientific methodology.

For the second, yes, it would change SOME results. Which ones would depend on the
nature of the god discovered.

However it wouldn't change the vast majority of science because unless that god suddenly
starts messing with everything... Because science works.

Would it change me? ...
No. It would change what I believe, and consequently would influence choices I made...
But it wouldn't change me.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
15 Dec 13

Are you asking if God we to be proven (by science) or if God were to be proven (by revealing himself)?

I don't see why either scenario should change an empirical, evidence based methodology in any way.

Would it change me? YES!! I should have to direct my energies from a stance of agnostic atheism to a theist persuading RJHinds that this God is NOT the appallingly tyrannical and megaolomaniac God of of the Old Testament that he is so fond of.

Infidel

Moves
15 Dec 13
1 edit

It would change the nature of god. Unless god made it so that science would discover/proof him, but then it wouldn't really be science that discovered/proved god, at best it would be science with the help of god.

Would it change me? Well, it would mess me up pretty badly I think, knowing there's this all powerful being up there. Because of all the different stories that exist we wouldn't really know him. Is he able to stop evil but then doesn't? Does his evil twin then also exist (becomes more likely)? Will he send me to hell? Does he know everything about me? Scary thought, methinks.

How lucky it's all fantasy, eh?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Dec 13

To answer the first question, utterly!

The second, no!

🙂 How goes it whodey?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 Dec 13

Originally posted by Pianoman1
Are you asking if God we to be proven (by science) or if God were to be proven (by revealing himself)?

I don't see why either scenario should change an empirical, evidence based methodology in any way.

Would it change me? YES!! I should have to direct my energies from a stance of agnostic atheism to a theist persuading RJHinds that this God is NOT the appallingly tyrannical and megaolomaniac God of of the Old Testament that he is so fond of.
I see the God of the Old and New Testament as one and the same God. So there is no need to persuade me to your belief.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
15 Dec 13

Originally posted by josephw
To answer the first question, utterly!

Ok if it would change science "utterly" you should be able to easily give an example.

Planet Rain

Moves
15 Dec 13
1 edit

Planet Rain

Moves
15 Dec 13

I can hardly envision any scenario in which God could be "proven" to my satisfaction, because there would always be simpler explanations.

Anyone exhibiting the powers of a god could simply be an alien with extremely advanced technology at its disposal.

Any individual who seems to know everything about the universe, and have the ability to manipulate it at will, would lead me to suspect that individual to be a programmer of a computer-simulated universe.

I might be convinced that the universe was created by a particle collider built by advanced aliens in another universe. There's some pretty wild theories out there about that.

Planet Rain

Moves
15 Dec 13
2 edits

To answer the question more directly, I'd say no. I cannot think of a single scientific theory that is considered to be well-established that would be necessarily falsified by the sudden revelation that a ghost with a booming voice gave rise to the Big Bang with a wave of his wand. There are no established scientific theories concerning the precise cause of the Big Bang or what happened before it (i.e. for any time t less than or equal to 0).

I discount the possibility that any literal interpretation of the Bible may be proven true, because all such interpretations have already been found to be hopelessly at variance with solidly established scientific fact. The Bible is clearly an invention of Man.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Dec 13

Originally posted by Soothfast
I might be convinced that the universe was created by a particle collider built by advanced aliens in another universe.
Well god isn't human and not of this universe. And maybe he has a big particle collider in his closet.

Planet Rain

Moves
15 Dec 13
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
Well god isn't human and not of this universe. And maybe he has a big particle collider in his closet.
Yeah, maybe. But I make a distinction between advanced aliens and gods. Gods -- the major-league ones, anyway -- are supposed to be utterly perfect, omniscient, omnipotent, and necessarily immortal (hey LemonJello, I think I get it!). As these are attributes that conflict with basic physical principles, I foresee no possibility that even an extremely sophisticated civilization billions of years old can attain them.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 Dec 13

To answer the question more directly, I'd say no. I cannot think of a single scientific theory that is considered to be well-established that would be necessarily falsified by the sudden revelation that a ghost with a booming voice gave rise to the Big Bang with a wave of his wand. There are no established scientific theories concerning the precise cause ...[text shortened]... at variance with solidly established scientific fact. The Bible is clearly an invention of Man.
There was no BIG BANG or EVIL-LUTION either. Get over it.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Dec 13
1 edit

"For the sake of argument, if God were to be proven, would it change science in any way?" -whodey

The closed minded agnostic and atheist component of the scientific community would generate new questions overnight.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Dec 13

Yeah, maybe. But I make a distinction between advanced aliens and gods. Gods -- the major-league ones, anyway -- are supposed to be utterly perfect, omniscient, omnipotent, and necessarily immortal (hey LemonJello, I think I get it!). As these are attributes that conflict with basic physical principles, I foresee no possibility that even an extremely sophisticated civilization billions of years old can attain them.
But you accept the possibility that an advanced non human being from outside our universe could have created this one?